Valentine's Day Massacre

I don't want to post in the Acceptance Freakout thread because I haven't been accepted, but... but... I heard a peep. I can't hold it in anymore... I MIGHT NOT BE A TOTAL FAILURE! But... I still might. So I don't wanna say anything else. Except AAAHHH!!

(I was really expecting to be massacred today, and it was already a shitty day because I was teaching all night, so this is a super nice turn of events.) :wub:

I don't want to post in the Acceptance Freakout thread because I haven't been accepted, but... but... I heard a peep. I can't hold it in anymore... I MIGHT NOT BE A TOTAL FAILURE! But... I still might. So I don't wanna say anything else. Except AAAHHH!!

(I was really expecting to be massacred today, and it was already a shitty day because I was teaching all night, so this is a super nice turn of events.) :wub:

Congrats on whatever your peep is!!!! I am still floating from my Valentine's Day acceptance, so hoping there's more Valentine's love still to go around!!!!

Well the Acceptance Freakout thread pretty much went to hell tonight anyways.

But congrats!  Here's to hoping your peep turns into an acceptance for sure!  :)

Yeah, oof. I'm sorry, guys, but gradcafe 2013 crew is a complete shitshow. Some of you are cool. I hope your cohorts are cool.  :)

As soon as that peep becomes a cheer, you'll have to let us know!

Yeah, oof. I'm sorry, guys, but gradcafe 2013 crew is a complete shitshow. Some of you are cool. I hope your cohorts are cool.  :)

I like to try cutting everyone some slack, since I know right now we're all pretty much like Datatape posted (albeit in a different context):

WHY AM I ALWAYS OUT OF UPVOTES.

tumblr_lokeudMmMD1r0529xo1_250.gif

(also I am NOT out of upvotes, so have one for this hilarious gif, you delightful person you)

Geez, for a week notorious for notifications this silence is murder. Maybe tomorrow will prove The Bob's right about Fridays?

The Bob? Who is... The Bob? Haha. And, of course, what does he say about Fridays? 

The Bob? Who is... The Bob? Haha. And, of course, what does he say about Fridays? 
Excuse #1 Valentine's food coma Excuse #2 iPad typing Excuse #3 Weary as all hell I meant "The Bobs" of Office Space fame...statistics show Friday is the best day of the week to fire someone...I need to be put out of my misery, long story short.

Excuse #1 Valentine's food coma Excuse #2 iPad typing Excuse #3 Weary as all hell I meant "The Bobs" of Office Space fame...statistics show Friday is the best day of the week to fire someone...I need to be put out of my misery, long story short.

Ah yes. Slightly grim. Haha. 

In other news, GradCafe only ups my anxiety. The more I read here, the more I feel unworthy of acceptance... I'M NEVER GETTING IN ANYWHERE. I SUCK AT LIFE, AND WILL BE A BUM. The lack of massacre to-day makes the thought of rejection tomorrow ten times worse. Blah.

So... enough of my anxious rambling. Back to Hobbit analysis. Why do I continue to procrastinateeeeee.

Ah yes. Slightly grim. Haha. 

In other news, GradCafe only ups my anxiety. The more I read here, the more I feel unworthy of acceptance... I'M NEVER GETTING IN ANYWHERE. I SUCK AT LIFE, AND WILL BE A BUM. The lack of massacre to-day makes the thought of rejection tomorrow ten times worse. Blah.

So... enough of my anxious rambling. Back to Hobbit analysis. Why do I continue to procrastinateeeeee.

Here's what I was told after my epic fail of a 2012 season: the fact that you already have a waitlist means that you're doing something right. You still have a lot of schools to hear from, and even if by some unlucky chance you don't get in, if you're really invested in this you just have to reassess your apps, make some adjustments, and figure out what you need to do to get in next time. I have confidence you'll get in somewhere, but even if you don't, you are NOT unworthy.

Here's what I was told after my epic fail of a 2012 season: the fact that you already have a waitlist means that you're doing something right. You still have a lot of schools to hear from, and even if by some unlucky chance you don't get in, if you're really invested in this you just have to reassess your apps, make some adjustments, and figure out what you need to do to get in next time. I have confidence you'll get in somewhere, but even if you don't, you are NOT unworthy.

Thanks, dazedandbemused. It's so absolutely refreshing to hear (or read... haha) actual informed words of encouragement, beyond the standard "You'll get in! You're awesome!" bs. My two closest friends are also applying to grad programs in Communication and Advertising, and they're basically delusional--they think we're all getting in to the same schools, and really are more concerned with moving (far) away from home, moving up in prestige, having something to lord over their peers (we're applying to grad school ,we're better than you, etc) and (supposedly) being able to make vast amounts of money rather than applying because they want to enrich their lives and deeply devote themselves to study. I'm not in it for the (minuscule amount) of money, the title, or the prestige-- I'm applying because I crave knowledge and because I love English literature, not to mention the fact that critical analysis is one of the few things that doesn't make me feel like my soul is being destroyed (a bit much? I'm dramatic). 

Wow. This is starting to sound like a bad SOP. Haha. In short, thank you for your kind words. 

Does anybody know whether or not there are any patterns regarding times of day, days of week schools typically get back to applicants and more importantly do they (a) Notify acceptees and then send out the rejection letters later (B) notify out-right rejectees and then decide who of the remainder is accepted and who is waitlisted © Do something completely different from either of those?

Does anybody know whether or not there are any patterns regarding times of day, days of week schools typically get back to applicants and more importantly do they (a) Notify acceptees and then send out the rejection letters later ( B) notify out-right rejectees and then decide who of the remainder is accepted and who is waitlisted © Do something completely different from either of those?

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Over the next two days, we'll hear news from Harvard and Rutgers. Duke will also finish their rejections. 

If I haven't heard back from Rutgers yet, is that good, bad, or is it silly for me to speculate at this point?

It looks like it was the Friday after Valentine's Day Massacre if you applied to Princeton, Brown, or UNC and either got rejected or didn't hear from them (implied rejection).

I got my Princeton rejection as I was frantically trying to finish a paper for a class sooo basically it couldn't have come at a worse time... needless to say I was quite salty for the rest of the day until I checked my e-mail that night. So I consider myself lucky.

Has anyone heard from Michigan yet? It's interesting that they're waiting this long. Or perhaps I'm just rejected and don't know it yet, ha!

I got my Princeton rejection as I was frantically trying to finish a paper for a class sooo basically it couldn't have come at a worse time... needless to say I was quite salty for the rest of the day until I checked my e-mail that night. So I consider myself lucky.

Has anyone heard from Michigan yet? It's interesting that they're waiting this long. Or perhaps I'm just rejected and don't know it yet, ha!

Oh my God, maybe we're ALL rejected and don't know it. Maybe acceptances have already gone out and no one on Grad Cafe got one!

... or they're just taking their time, whatever. Actually, I think Michigan may have had hiring to do in the English department this cycle and, according to one of my profs, this of course takes precedence to grad school decisions. At any rate, I'm sure decisions will be going out soon. I hope.

If I haven't heard back from Rutgers yet, is that good, bad, or is it silly for me to speculate at this point?

According to the results board, for the last three years Rutgers has sent out acceptances on the third saturday of February, so today should be the day. No one has posted anything to the results board yet, but it's still early. 

According to the results board, for the last three years Rutgers has sent out acceptances on the third saturday of February, so today should be the day. No one has posted anything to the results board yet, but it's still early. 

Dang! Well it's almost 4:00 on the east coast and I haven't heard from them yet, so it looks like I may be in trouble!