Stop me from getting an iPad

Dal PhDer

I really appreciate your perspective ak48! I think I held it too- I didn't really see the utility, and still don't, of an ipad. To me it's just a portable media device that's best for movies and music (and the occasional game). I'm also not one to need the newest and lastest device - cue my 6 year old laptop I still carry around! ha!

However, I have to say that for my needs, the Galaxy is fantastic. I am REALLY impressed with the handwriting ability, and love it. It's really easy to take handwritten notes - and for me, instead of carrying and then spreading out an array of highlighters and coloured pens on my desk during class - I can easily switch between colours, pens, highlights, etc.  while quickly writing notes in class.

I'm also really pleased with the ability to annotate/highlight articles, WHILE taking hand written notes on the device. The ability to have multiple windows going is such a plus for me.

Outside the functionality of note taking/annotating, it's mere entertainment and ease (I'm loving the Simpson game!) ... I wouldn't say it changed my life, but it's made it a lot easier! I'm interested to see if it's utility wears off, or continues to be a great addition to my work tools.

I wish everybody would buy iPads - since I own a bunch of Apple stock.

But for me - neh. And I was like the first person to have an iPhone on Verizon. Literally.

I don't like it because:

1. No keyboard

2. No USB port

3. Apple OS and I need lots of Windows programs and drivers

So I have not bought one - but I am close to buying the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet

1. Has keyboard

2. Has a USB port

3. Runs Windows

I believe in compartamentalizing work/personal life so as to maximize effectiveness/productivity.  I don't want to carry my work around with me all day.  Work at maximum productivity, and then take your personal time as time "off".

I don't see how an iPad would make you more productive.  Seems to me like it would be a distraction, possibly a reason to multi-task (a productivity killer) - an excuse to check email more than once/day, excuse to surf the web when you should be doing something more productive (writing your dissertation), something to fiddle around with, etc.

That's my best argument against!

I would only recommend it if using it with a keyboard (logitec makes the best ones). It works for me because I have a desktop, so I'm not sure if I would recommend forking over the money if you already have a laptop and an iphone. If your current computer is perhaps too big and clunky to lug to class everyday, that might be a way to justify it.

See, I'm the opposite. I wouldn't recommend a keyboard at all. 

If you're going to be typing a lot, get a laptop, netbook, ultrabook- something made for typing. 

That's not the iPad. There are some writing apps, but honestly, it's not made for writing, and the software pales compared to what's out there for Macs/PCs (Scrivener, etc.)

Nor do I like carrying my work around with me all day. 

That said, I do like being able to carry one digital portfolio that has all copies of my current data and work, schematics, etc. as well as all of the papers in my library, and a lot of books that I use for reference as well. 

When I get tired of working in my office, and want to go work somewhere else (outside, carrel, a coffee shop) I can then take my laptop and iPad, and not have to worry about taking several three ring binders full of papers. I have something that easily lets me read and reference what I'm working on. 

Could I do it on the laptop? Sure. It just fits my workflow a lot better to have it as a stand-in for all of my books and papers, and focus the writing and data analysis on the laptop. 

I actually just ordered my iPad yesterday. I finally caved. Everyone here basically has an iPad because it really stinks having to haul around a laptop allllll day, 8-8. With the keyboard that you attach its a breeze to type notes in class, present work, annotate hundreds of articles, work on tiny grad school desks or chairs when you cant get a desk or youre at a random lecture. You can take pictures more easily and all of the apps are amazing. Once you are a Apple fan its hard to switch back, being able to sink all of your items is kind of amazing- iPhone, MacBook, iPad...etc.

How exciting PhDreams!! That's awesome!!

Eigen, I'm with you- it won't replace my laptop for writing at all! It's more a reading, researching, cataloging tool for me. THere have been many days I lugged my laptop around just for article browsing...now I don't have too!

And let me tell you, I used Netflicks today in the library while I marked...it might not made me more productive, but it made marking much more enjoyable!! I'm loving this thing!! LOVING IT!

I kind of want to post a caption of my notes just to show how amazing it is for handwriting!

My office mate has an iPad and it's really improved her functionality for a lot of things we have to do in our program. I think I might end up getting one within a few months. She has a stylus and one of the attachable keyboards and she has no problems taking notes in our classes. Plus, it's a lot lighter. Granted, we both have mac laptops and they aren't especially heavy, but I'm all about lightening the load, especially when I have to tote around the giant literary theory book we're using this semester lol. I've played around with some other tablets, but I'm pretty much an Apple person across the board. I dig the OS and I already know there are some apps available that would be handy for the classes I'm teaching.

I really appreciate your perspective ak48! I think I held it too- I didn't really see the utility, and still don't, of an ipad. To me it's just a portable media device that's best for movies and music (and the occasional game). I'm also not one to need the newest and lastest device - cue my 6 year old laptop I still carry around! ha!

However, I have to say that for my needs, the Galaxy is fantastic. I am REALLY impressed with the handwriting ability, and love it. It's really easy to take handwritten notes - and for me, instead of carrying and then spreading out an array of highlighters and coloured pens on my desk during class - I can easily switch between colours, pens, highlights, etc.  while quickly writing notes in class.

I'm also really pleased with the ability to annotate/highlight articles, WHILE taking hand written notes on the device. The ability to have multiple windows going is such a plus for me.

Outside the functionality of note taking/annotating, it's mere entertainment and ease (I'm loving the Simpson game!) ... I wouldn't say it changed my life, but it's made it a lot easier! I'm interested to see if it's utility wears off, or continues to be a great addition to my work tools.

I hadn't really thought of "mobile work" because I generally either do work that requires heavy computer, or nothing.

I think my sister was looking into a Galaxy tablet because one could take notes on it with palm resting on the screen. (Who writes with their hand off the desk? Only the crazies) but the quality of the screen didn't cut it for her. But she got my iPad so whatever.

I hadn't really thought of "mobile work" because I generally either do work that requires heavy computer, or nothing.

I think my sister was looking into a Galaxy tablet because one could take notes on it with palm resting on the screen. (Who writes with their hand off the desk? Only the crazies) but the quality of the screen didn't cut it for her. But she got my iPad so whatever.

I'm like you- i will still do all my writing and analysis on a computer...but for 'mobile work' it's great! It's nice to be able to read a PDF anywhere, or take notes on it! Like you said, it's so good to have the palm touch thingy with it! I'm a lefty, so my hand always drags while I write, so it works SOO well for me! I know the screen quality isn't as nice as the iPad- that's one downside, but I haven't noticed it at all! 

I imagine for any kind of visual work though (i.e., photographs, video) it would be important...but it works well for me! (I'm also addicted to Simpson's Tap!)