Stop me from getting an iPad

Dal PhDer

Tomorrow I am going with a friend to the Mac store so she can buy an iPad for school. 

I.Want.One....But I don't. BUT I DO! They're so pretty....but expensive....I don't need to eat. 

I've been battling with the desire of having an iPad for about a year. However, I can't justify why I would need one.

I have a laptop and a smart phone...these should be enough for me, right? What more do I need? What would an iPad do?

For those of you who have iPads/tablets, why did you make the choice to buy it? Would you say that it adds something over and above your laptop? Has it made work/school easier? How so?

For those of you have have yet to get one, other than perhaps the cost, what has stopped you?

Tablets are really good for showcasing work quickly if you're a photographer or artist of some kind.

I'd say they're a little better for traveling than a laptop... take up less room and such... but I'd go with a surface or other windows 8 tablet for more functionality if you're really wanting one. 

How is the iPad useful to my work? I use my iPad 2 to display images and writing, as I use my laptop to type/compose. I also use to read on the iPad (documents, articles, magazines) because on a laptop its exhausting to scroll/read, and while my iPhone is doable, it is often too small and my eyes get squinty. Reading on an iPad is almost booklike, and feels more comfortable to me to hold than reading lengthy pieces on a laptop. In its iBooks app, the iPad has a nice highlighter feature which compiles into notes at the end, which can be helpful... although, it is pretty simple to accidentally set or delete a highlighted section, too!

As for a disadvantage, I do not like typing on the iPad. I've never gotten comfortable with it. I know really should opt for an external keyboard because I'm always going back to my laptop to type long things.

Depends on what you plan to do with it.  I got the Kindle Fire because I wanted a tablet too but didn't want to spend the money on an ipad.  It's a good size and I love reading on it.  Reading and games are mostly what I do with it.  I don't think it would help your productivity much more because it can't replace a laptop.  I mean I guess you could stretch it if you have the Windows tablet.  I think they'd be handy if you take the train or bus a lot, and you have a lot of down time or you travel a lot in general.  

I don't have one. I thought about it but, decided that it didn't add much to what I already have (smartphone, Kindle, netbook, laptop, and a recently acquired Kindle Fire). I dislike not having a physical keyboard on the phone and Kindles, so, if I did get an iPad, I'd also end up purchasing an external keyboard. And, at that point, it makes sense to just get a netbook with a SSD for fast bootup and better functionality. Or at least that's my logic.

FWIW, I only have a Kindle Fire because it was a gift. It's the 7" model and I use it primarily to stream stuff while laying in bed since I don't have a TV in my room.

I don't have one. I thought about it but, decided that it didn't add much to what I already have (smartphone, Kindle, netbook, laptop, and a recently acquired Kindle Fire). 

This is pretty much what I have been telling myself. I have a kindle I use for leisure reading, and then when I'm stomping around at school, I have my smartphone for email. The only thing is, I have to unpack and set up shop if I want to read articles/write, and lugging my laptop around is a bit of work - but if I would revert back to a laptop to actually write/compose stuff, then I would still need to take it with me.

I am an hobby photographer, so korartiz's point is kind of interesting!

It's interesting that some of you find it's easy to compose on an iPad/tablet while others see themselves just going back to their laptops. I'm worried that I would just revert back to a keyboard. I see the utility for PDF reading/highlighting, and I use Mendely - so an it would be useful for reading...but when I take notes, I'm worried I would find it incovienent and move back to my keyboard.

I know a lot of people use it for note taking...are they actually writing on it? Or typing? 

PS: thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it...I want to make an informed (and responsible) decision!

Edited by Dal PhDer

Yeah! They're exceptionally good for showcasing work, especially if you're at an interview or something.

I would imagine that the people who are taking notes on them have keyboard attachments. 

For those of you have have yet to get one, other than perhaps the cost, what has stopped you?

I haven't purchased an iPad, for a few reasons. For one, I already have an iPhone, laptop, and kindle, not the fire. If I were to get the iPad, I would mostly use it to read or surf the internet. The problem with that is that wherever I go, I have internet access, be it work, home, campus, etc. If I don't, I can always use my phone, which has a full browser. For reading, I have my kindle. It is not the fire, it's the one with the newspaper like screen, that does not hurt my eyes when I read, which the iPad would after some time. If I were to use it to take notes in class, the typing would hurt my hands. I'd rather type on a full keyboard. I prefer to save the money and purchase an iMac for when school starts.

My argument for my Ipad is that it has allowed me to do digital with my article reading and related annotations, etc. My department gives us "lowly" graduate students a limited printing quota per semester, so by placing articles in dropbox on my laptop, and then reading them on the ipad, i forgo needing to print. To boot, the display on my Ipad 3 is a retina display, which means less headaches and eye-strain then reading on a computer display. 

Everyone has their own workflow, but I prefer PDF expert to read and annotate PDFs for classes. When I need to read something that I have attached in Endnote from my laptop, I pull up the PDF in Endnote for Ipad.

Ipad has increased my workflow, but it has added another electronic to my never-ending list. I DO NOT use the Ipad for taking class notes; my laptop does that quicker and more competently.

My argument for my Ipad is that it has allowed me to do digital with my article reading and related annotations, etc. My department gives us "lowly" graduate students a limited printing quota per semester, so by placing articles in dropbox on my laptop, and then reading them on the ipad, i forgo needing to print. To boot, the display on my Ipad 3 is a retina display, which means less headaches and eye-strain then reading on a computer display. 

Everyone has their own workflow, but I prefer PDF expert to read and annotate PDFs for classes. When I need to read something that I have attached in Endnote from my laptop, I pull up the PDF in Endnote for Ipad.

Ipad has increased my workflow, but it has added another electronic to my never-ending list. I DO NOT use the Ipad for taking class notes; my laptop does that quicker and more competently.

So you would say that the ability to read and annotate PDFs on your iPad is worth it? Is it particularly easy?

I have gone paperless (or am trying too)...so I do 95% of my reading on my laptop. 

This is so hard...ion_exchanger basically sealed the deal for me- you confirmed everything I tell myself...but hejduk, you're point is the only reason I'm considering....But it's a lot of money to spend on just a PDF reader and annotater...but it would be a lot easier to carry an ipad to whip out than my laptop.

I am admittedly not an expert in technology, but there are many cheaper tablets on the market. Is it possible that one of these has the PDF reader and annotater? Is it specifically the iPad that is appealing, or the features that it has?

I am admittedly not an expert in technology, but there are many cheaper tablets on the market. Is it possible that one of these has the PDF reader and annotater? Is it specifically the iPad that is appealing, or the features that it has?

I have heard there are better annotative softwares for the iPad. I'm really interested in the ability to highlight and write (with a pen) on the PDFs...that would essentially cut down on about 15lbs of stuff I pack daily! haha

I like my iPad a lot, but I got it for about $300 two years ago, refurbished (it's a first generation). 

I also have a macbook air, and from having had to do it, between the two of them, I can do any work I need to on the road. I mostly use my iPad as a mobile library- reference books, hundreds and hundreds of papers- as well as for displaying my work. 

I give most of my powerpoint presentations on it these days, and I probably meet with visiting faculty to discuss my work every month or so. I keep nice, neat PDFs of my most pertinent figures and schematics on it, updated, and so I can always pull it out and run through what I'm working on. 

It also works great for going over data with my PI- we don't have a color printer in our group, and the iPad screen is much brighter than my laptops. It also makes it easy to set a PDF full of data on his desk and pass it back and forth, to show what I've been working on recently, and where I'm going with it. 

I also read on it a few hours a night- my wife can't sleep if I have a light on, so the backlit reading (quite dim) is a must. 

I like my iPad a lot, but I got it for about $300 two years ago, refurbished (it's a first generation). 

I also have a macbook air, and from having had to do it, between the two of them, I can do any work I need to on the road. I mostly use my iPad as a mobile library- reference books, hundreds and hundreds of papers- as well as for displaying my work. 

I give most of my powerpoint presentations on it these days, and I probably meet with visiting faculty to discuss my work every month or so. I keep nice, neat PDFs of my most pertinent figures and schematics on it, updated, and so I can always pull it out and run through what I'm working on. 

It also works great for going over data with my PI- we don't have a color printer in our group, and the iPad screen is much brighter than my laptops. It also makes it easy to set a PDF full of data on his desk and pass it back and forth, to show what I've been working on recently, and where I'm going with it. 

I also read on it a few hours a night- my wife can't sleep if I have a light on, so the backlit reading (quite dim) is a must. 

Hmmm! I'm liking this!

So it's good for presentations? So I could easily hook up my ipad to a projector and use it for powerpoint?

I have an oldschool macbook that needs a special adaptor to hook up to projectors. The last time I check, it was about $60 ...and I've been delaying buying it, but have a few classes I have to teach and will need it...this might just sell me on it.

I cannot stop you because im currently using mine right now. I had a first gen ipad which was great. I got a case with a keyboard and took all my undergrad notes on it. Then I got a mini and love it was more. It has all the great features of the newest ipad and is a great size. It has a better use of space because it has less of a rim. It was also much cheaper. ATT has a deal going where you can get 100 dollars off, so thats nice. I dont know how great the smaller keyboard will be for taking notes in class, but you can always just get a case that is made for the mini, but has a larger keyboard. It sort of mitigates the point of the smaller size though. I do okay on the smaller keyboard.

I caved in and bought one last month... the newest iPad with a pink cover!

I already have a MacBook Air and an iPhone. I use my iPad for my calendar, which is easier than taking out my laptop, and I don't use the calendar function on my iPhone. I've also used my iPad as a second screen. I, too, have stopped printing papers. However, I find that if I need access to a document while I'm typing, switching screens on my MacBook Air is annoying. So, I put the document on the iPad (the cover folds up into a stand), and type on my laptop. I've also brought my iPad to meetings where a laptop would have been too bulky. For example, we've had a string of job talks from potential faculty in the past week--as a graduate student, I sit in chairs along the wall rather than at the table, so it's easier for me to take notes on the iPad than on my laptop. Typing isn't great--I don't type on it the way I normally would. But, there are also apps out there, like Paper by FiftyThree (app of the year), that is great for taking notes with a stylus (as well as for doodling). I don't know if adding the iPad to my technology repertoire has actually increased my productivity... but it sure is nice, and I get compliments on it all the time! :)

Hmmm! I'm liking this!

So it's good for presentations? So I could easily hook up my ipad to a projector and use it for powerpoint?

I have an oldschool macbook that needs a special adaptor to hook up to projectors. The last time I check, it was about $60 ...and I've been delaying buying it, but have a few classes I have to teach and will need it...this might just sell me on it.

You'll need a VGA adapter, but it runs Keynote very well.

My iPad 1 will just display some things, the newer ones will mirror the screen, from what I understand.

A new iPad will be my gift to myself if/when I get accepted in a doctoral program. I've had a Nook for over a year now and love it. I use it almost exclusively for reading and web surfing. While I have a few games and other distracting apps, I rarely use them. Last semester, I got a PDF app and used it to save on printing close to 1000 pages. But it was very sluggish and the software has limitations. It is no relacement for a full fledged computer, like the iPad. But I find reading and annotating on my computer so uncomfortable that it is unproductive. I fully believe the iPad will pay for itself in 4-5 years of printing/notebook costs and time savings.

There are a number of really good articles on using the iPad for grad school. I've already started using Mendeley, Dropbox and my new best friend Evernote. Rumor has it MS will be releasing an iPad version of Office even if the Surface sells well b/c their bread and butter is still software. I find Word much better for academic writing than Pages.

So...after a lot of reading up...I think I might be more incline to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1....anyone have any experience with it? Apparently it's one of the best for taking hand written notes!

DON'T DO IT! 

I'm a huge tech geek and consider myself very progressive in integrating technology in my life to make everything more efficient (college senior and Apple lover). I finally bought an iPad on Black Friday imagining it would use it to take notes in class and that it would somehow replace my laptop as my go-to device, like I'd read some other people had successfully done. Truth be told though, its a huge pain in the ass to use it for anything other than email reading and watching TV shows. I downloaded a bunch of note taking apps and work and productivity apps, but none of them stuck. It was just not seamless enough between apps, nor seamless enough between iPad and Macbook to really make it that useful. Also, typing on an iPad in class was a bitch, and I believe its stupid to carry around a bluetooth keyboard when the iPad-keyboard combo is the same size and weight as my laptop and 1/20 of the usefulness. In the end, I returned it after the New Year. I'm thinking about picking up the new iPad Mini 2 when it is released, but now I won't delude myself that it will be used for anything other than entertainment. 

I think the same situations can apply to any tablet device. No matter how much they tout being amazing handwriting or productivity machines, they really can't match up at all to typing or just plain pencil-to-paper writing. You'll want to tear your hair out at how many hoops you'll have to jump through just to get one page of notes on your device and transfer it successfully to the computer, translate it into typing, etc. 

Don't intend to use it for note taking.

Using it for annotating PDFs, however, works great.

It's just much slower than pen & paper for writing long things, but highlighting, underlining, circling, and quick notes in the margin work great.

And at least with my workflow, notes are quite seamlessly synced via DropBox to both my Mac and my PC, and new PDFs I download are syncd to my iPad, so I have access to my entire library of digital PDFs at all times.

I decided to try out the Samsung galaxy for its annotation and note taking features. Its been a few hours and I love it. You guys are spot on with the annotation features, they are great! I will get no work done now! Thanks to all for the opinions. It was nice to hear that they are useful tools for other students.it made whipping out my credit card a lot less painful

I bought an iPad 2 after graduation 1 year ago, and gave it away to my sister a few months later. To me, it was worthless.

It was one of the most beautiful and well built devices I've seen, but I never really found a good use for it. It depends on what you want from it.

It's great for watching movies and other "visual" stuff; it's TERRIBLE for typing/work related things. I must admit that I was never much of a touchscreen guy, and I'm a very "tactile" person in general  and I need real buttons! (I also memorize phone numbers by touch, not by number).

I don't really watch movies or TV / play games enough for it to be worth it. I used it to read some ebooks, which was nice, but I have a non-touch Kindle which is a LOT easier to hold. (iPad interface is MUCH better for navigating the books, but I like the look of Kindle e-ink better)

One marginally related rant:

It's just a tablet. It won't change your life.

I'm tired of talking to people shopping for a new smartphone or tablet as if the marginal differences between the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5 actually makes a big difference.

Comedian Louis CK had a great bit about how obssesive he got shopping for DVD players and spending hours reading online reviews of different players because he wanted to "get the best one." Then he realized, "why the fuck do I need the best one?"

My point is, I've met lots of people who want to buy the iPad or iPhone or smartphone or whatever, thinking that buying it will somehow dramatically improve your life. It won't, or at least shouldn't. It may make a few things easier/better, and if so, great. But it's just a damn tablet.

As for your original question, my iPad ended up collecting dust because I don't watch movies or netflix or TV shows. Taking notes with it is a joke. You can't write with your palm resting on the screen because the sensor gets confused between your hand and the stylus. and the stylus accuracy is never as sharp as pencil-paper.