Princeton WWS

Wanderlust22

Did anyone else freak out just a little bit when they saw the "Graduate Admissions Updates" email from WWS? I knew it was way too early for decisions, but still!

I did really like the humor of the message, as well as officially hearing that we'll know by March 15!

I did not like the open a page and music starts playing though, I was at work and I share an office with my boss and as much as I tried explaining it was not me watching youtube I´m not sure he believed me lol!

Did anyone else freak out just a little bit when they saw the "Graduate Admissions Updates" email from WWS? I knew it was way too early for decisions, but still!

I did really like the humor of the message, as well as officially hearing that we'll know by March 15!

I saw it on my phone and my heart sank. My phone only shows the first few words of an email and the subject. The whole "thank you for applying" sounds like a rejection. I am glad I have the reassurance that I have gotten in elsewhere but I am dying to go to WWS.

I saw it on my phone and my heart sank. My phone only shows the first few words of an email and the subject. The whole "thank you for applying" sounds like a rejection. I am glad I have the reassurance that I have gotten in elsewhere but I am dying to go to WWS.

May I ask why you didn't apply at HKS?

Have you already heard from Fletcher and GTown?

I applied to the MALD program at Fletcher and have communicated with the Admissions Director since the review started but there will probably be no decisions news until March 15. Heard nothing from Gtown. 

Absolutely. I didn't apply because on the application site HKS basically said, if you can't afford the tuition on your own,then don't bother to apply. I think it is beyond ridiculous and obsurd that a school with a $90 billion endowment and a waitlist to donate won't fund students. I could have easily gotten in as I have connections to the program. But if a school doesn't want me because I am poor, that is not a place I want to be.

I want to live my life through my heart and passions, not because I have to take a job due to my student debt. WWS understands this and funds you so that you can serve the public. HKS is basically the asshole in this situation. And due to it's reputation and stance on funding students, I do not want the Harvard name attached to me for evermore.

Unlike most people, I do not want the name or prestige of a school. I want to attend a school because it is the best fit for me and my future. WWS has the most professors that study and research what I want to do. I want the opportunity to learn from them and the WWS curriculum.

Makes sense from a certain perspective, but I don't understand why you would not at least apply to see if you received any merit aid even if HKS is a cheapskate in that area. Sounds like if HKS gave you significant aid and you got in it would still help you with your career goals if you put aside your pride.

Makes sense from a certain perspective, but I don't understand why you would not at least apply to see if you received any merit aid even if HKS is a cheapskate in that area. Sounds like if HKS gave you significant aid and you got in it would still help you with your career goals if you put aside your pride.

It is not a pride thing. It is a reflection of the university's essence. It clearly shows that HKS is not somewhere that I would be happy.

It is not a pride thing. It is a reflection of the university's essence. It clearly shows that HKS is not somewhere that I would be happy.

I see your point, but I think that most schools operate this way. If you get funding from lower-ranked schools, it probably means that you were one of their top applicants - it's just that the bar to be a top applicant is lower.

I actually appreciate that HKS is super upfront about it. They have it written all over their financial aid website that it's an expensive degree, that the debt might limit your future career options, that you will probably have to live a more frugal lifestyle, and that you should take this financial decision seriously. They even tell you how much your monthly payments would be over 10 years if you take out the max amount in loans. Pretty much every other school just lists their tuition/fees and estimated living costs and leaves it to you to do the math. Some even list fees separately from tuition, likely so that the numbers don't seem so high. Perhaps Harvard's financial aid philosophy comes off as arrogant, but it's probably just because they can get away with being 100% honest because the prestige of the Harvard brand makes people ignore those sobering financial figures regardless of how many warnings the school posts. But at least they put it out there for those who want the truth.

Edited by ridofme

You know you wouldn't be happy because of a school's financial aid policy? I am all for criticizing HKS's lame financial aid program, but that kind of overreaching statement seems like pure bitterness. Like the poster above me said, every school operates to make profits. It is just that HKS is more honest about it. WWS's program is great and probably the best of its kind but there is a reason why they only have a class of about 60-70. I am sorry but you reek of entitlement judging by your statement that HKS is "the asshole" because you don't think they would give you money. No school owes you anything especially if you didn't even apply. This goes double when you are applying for a professional graduate program. Also, what the hell is living with your heart and passions? You can't live without your heart because of school debt? So you only want to serve the public only if you have little debt. You sound like a high school teenager applying to undergraduate programs.

You know you wouldn't be happy because of a school's financial aid policy? I am all for criticizing HKS's lame financial aid program, but that kind of overreaching statement seems like pure bitterness. Like the poster above me said, every school operates to make profits. It is just that HKS is more honest about it. WWS's program is great and probably the best of its kind but there is a reason why they only have a class of about 60-70. I am sorry but you reek of entitlement judging by your statement that HKS is "the asshole" because you don't think they would give you money. No school owes you anything especially if you didn't even apply. This goes double when you are applying for a professional graduate program. Also, what the hell is living with your heart and passions? You can't live without your heart because of school debt? So you only want to serve the public only if you have little debt. You sound like a high school teenager applying to undergraduate programs.

Or maybe he's reasonable:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/unable_to_find_public_interest_jobs_some_harvard_law_students_settle_for_bi/

"Under pressure to secure employment and pay off loans, some students accept positions at top law firms instead of pursuing careers in government or the non-profit world.”

Granted, MPA grads aren't able to land the same gigs as HLS/YLS/SLS grads, but it makes a point: if you have a lot of debt, you likely won't be able to work that low(er)-paying public service job you want (unless you also don't want a family, a house, a car, a mortgage, kids, fun, vacation, etc) because it is mathematically and economically impossible to have a low-paying job and be saddled in debt.

If you want to be Mother Teresa, go ahead, but it doesn't make you any better or wiser.

I don't think that bitterness toward HKS' policy is completelyyy unwarranted. It's a great program, they've got great resources but let's face it if getting the best public policy degree is all about $$ then it really defeats the purpose. I can see that to be the case with business/law degrees... .....This may not be true only for HKS though so I am not directing my comment only to that institution.  I've got my heart in the right place but no $$ to keep it there. Depending on my decisions in 2 weeks I may end up just taking a regular private sector job and kill my passion for the field in order to make ends meet. Will that make me very resentful? Yes, perhaps it will. 

Edited by intlrlns

Or maybe he's reasonable:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/unable_to_find_public_interest_jobs_some_harvard_law_students_settle_for_bi/

"Under pressure to secure employment and pay off loans, some students accept positions at top law firms instead of pursuing careers in government or the non-profit world.”

Granted, MPA grads aren't able to land the same gigs as HLS/YLS/SLS grads, but it makes a point: if you have a lot of debt, you likely won't be able to work that low(er)-paying public service job you want (unless you also don't want a family, a house, a car, a mortgage, kids, fun, vacation, etc) because it is mathematically and economically impossible to have a low-paying job and be saddled in debt.

If you want to be Mother Teresa, go ahead, but it doesn't make you any better or wiser.

I was answering an inquiry. I grew up with nothing and now I have $50,000 in student loans to my name. Harvard is the one who needs a reality check. The average college graduate has over $24,000 in student loans. I never stated that I was better or wiser. I simply don't want more debt so that I can do what I plan on getting a masters for.

So contrary to your thoughts on be being a high schooler, I have experience working in both the private and public sector and have decided the public is where I want to be. Not only that, but I know many Harvard graduates and applicants, like your self. You are not someone I want to be around. If it was, I would go work in finance or spend a lot more time a few blocks away at 740 Park Ave.

If you spent time at 740 Park you'd be loitering. I don't think anyone here is looking to be a top hedge fund manager.

HKS is hardly the worst offender in terms of the egregious cost of education. Thousands of schools do the same thing, and it's doubtful their brand names pay the same dividends as Harvard. This principled opposition to HKS seems heavily biased and, quite frankly, a little bizarre. They also do have what is effectively a loan forgiveness program for those who work in public service, although it's unclear from their website who (and how many) qualify. If Harvard had a smaller class like WWS, I'm sure students would be very well-funded. But saying HKS should, out of principle, eliminate literally hundreds of spots comes off as arrogant and even privileged--as though you have some fundamental right to have your professional school education fully funded. There is no need to passionately rationalize your decision for not going to HKS... if you didn't apply, great, that's your choice. Leave it at that. There's no need to go out of your way to cast HKS as having some terrible "essence" based on its financial aid program. You're free to do that, but if you do, you should expect people to respond negatively. Each applicant will make their own determination. 

Edited by soapwater

People calm down, I had no money, managed to get a fully funded scholarship through undergrad, now worked my ass off for the non profit sector and saved enough money to pay at least a year. My point is you do not necesarilly need to go into debt and the non profit sector or even government can pay really well. Also, sorry but people have the right to apply to whichever program they like or not like, I didn´t like Berkeley, not sure why but I didn´t like the vibe, hence I am not applying and I understand that a lot of people do like it and applied, good for you and good luck. I do not need to be mocked at for not applying there, because IT IS MY RIGHT. So good luck to all of you!

I was answering an inquiry. I grew up with nothing and now I have $50,000 in student loans to my name. Harvard is the one who needs a reality check. The average college graduate has over $24,000 in student loans. I never stated that I was better or wiser. I simply don't want more debt so that I can do what I plan on getting a masters for.

I know, I was agreeing with you. The better/wiser part (and the post) was to a dollarninetynine.

So contrary to your thoughts on be being a high schooler, I have experience working in both the private and public sector and have decided the public is where I want to be. Not only that, but I know many Harvard graduates and applicants, like your self. You are not someone I want to be around. If it was, I would go work in finance or spend a lot more time a few blocks away at 740 Park Ave.

This is exactly what I am talking about. So full of entitlement and presumptuousness. You bashed a school and now you are saying that Harvard needs a reality check because they wouldn't give poor little old you a scholarship. This is considering the fact that you didn't even apply to see if they would give you money. If you have $50 K in debt from undergrad while coming from a poor family, you made some bad calls friendo.

You say you are not a whiny high school kid, but there you go again. Seriously, who still says stuff like "I don't want to be around people like you". You are mad because I just stated my opinions and you can't respond in a rational manner without turning to personal attacks? You really think everyone at WWS will be to your liking or everyone at HKS are "people you don't want to be around". These kinds of sweeping generalizations are very illogical. Lastly, what was the point of the Park Ave. reference? Are you trying to humble brag in the same way you humble bragged about your nonexistent connections to HKS and that you would have been admitted 100%? Just makes you look more irrational if you would have been admitted 100%.

MPPgirl, you are right in that everyone has a right to apply where ever they want. I was just responding to this person because they were bashing a school by calling them "assholes". I wasn't happy with everything about HKS, but bashing a school for something like that is a bit harsh.

Adollarninetynine, are you currently attending HKS? May I ask which program? If yes, then I'd like to ask you a few HKS related questions.

I've applied to the MC/MPA progam as Mason fellow and am awaiting decisions.

I am in the MPP program in one of the fellowships (don't want to get anymore specific since it would be easy to out me) and currently about to finish my degree. Shoot away.

Just sent you a PM :)