Princeton WWS

Wanderlust22

Anyone else here on the waitlist and get the email with more info today? I'm beginning to think SAIS Bologna is for me, but on the slim chance I'm accepted into WWS from the waitlist, I just don't see how I could turn that down.  I was so looking forward to some certainty after decisions came out, but looks like it's going to be uncertain for a while yet... 

Anyone else here on the waitlist and get the email with more info today? I'm beginning to think SAIS Bologna is for me, but on the slim chance I'm accepted into WWS from the waitlist, I just don't see how I could turn that down.  I was so looking forward to some certainty after decisions came out, but looks like it's going to be uncertain for a while yet... 

I got the email too. My reasoning is that although the uncertainty may persist, there are two upsides: we should know by mid to late May, and it's completely ethical to decline an offer after the deposit was submitted. So I'm going to move forward with choosing a school, and even put a deposit down, but if Princeton accepts me afterwards, I'll cut my losses on the deposit and change plans. The caliber and funding at Princeton are too good an opportunity to pass up if the chance presents itself.

Edited by waltlaa9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm interested in possibly applying to WWS next year, but I've had a hard time finding any sort of class profile/ admission stats for WWS so I don't know where I stand compared to other WWS candidates.  Does anyone know where I can find this info?  I was recently accepted into SAIS with a half scholarship, but I just learned that WWS gives much more generous funding so I'm thinking of holding off for a year and seeing if I can get into WWS.  

Edit: Quick stats on my part: 3.77 GPA, 160Q and 164V, 5 years work experience utilities industry

Edited by jesus_shuttlesworth

Hi all,

I'm interested in possibly applying to WWS next year, but I've had a hard time finding any sort of class profile/ admission stats for WWS so I don't know where I stand compared to other WWS candidates.  Does anyone know where I can find this info?  I was recently accepted into SAIS with a half scholarship, but I just learned that WWS gives much more generous funding so I'm thinking of holding off for a year and seeing if I can get into WWS.  

Edit: Quick stats on my part: 3.77 GPA, 160Q and 164V, 5 years work experience utilities industry

I'll PM you :)

Just a note that one of the main things WWS tends to look for in its admissions process is a commitment to public service. Therefore, even if you have lots of work experience, it would be particularly unadvisable to put all your eggs in one basket if you don't have a demonstrated history of work experience in public service (i.e. the NGO and government sectors). Of course this can include the whole package too (extensive volunteer or extracurricular experience, internships, etc.). I'm not sure if your jobs were public sector, but just wanted to throw that out there as food for thought. SAIS is a great school and though I fully understand the debt issue, admissions to WWS is ~10% and giving up a sure thing seems like a risky endeavor for even the most qualified of candidates. You may try looking into external scholarships if you don't want to go through the whole admissions process all over again.

Hi all,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi flyingjellyfish, I''m still waiting on the alternate list results too. I hope we will hear soon, I really want to start moving forward with planning my summer and move. Have you visited campus or been in touch with profs/admissions at all beyond the email you just mentioned? I haven't but am wondering if I should make a move to show I'm still very interested... I wish they would at least let us know how many opted to accept a spot on the alternate list. On the bright side, I did meet one person at an open house who was initially accepted, and she said she was declining their offer.

Edited by waltlaa9

Hi Waltlaa9, thanks for the response!  I feel exactly the same way.  At this point, I know I would be equally happy at SAIS or WWS, so would just love to know yes/no from WWS so I can make plans.  It does seem like a longshot to get into WWs off the alternate list, but without more information from them it's hard to judge how likely or unlikely it truly is this year. 

I visited the campus last September and had a very good experience.  I have friends currently in the program, so they showed me around.  I also met with the Director of Graduate Admissions and met a few other MPA students.  So I got a decent sense of the program and community and feel that it would be a good fit for me.  

I did follow up with them right away when I found out I was on the alternate list expressing my interest and then followed up again with my scanned card accepting a spot on the list.  I otherwise didn't ask any questions, since the info they provided was very helpful and I didn't want to bother them too much.  I actually haven't had any specific communication back from them besides the alternate list letter and generic emails.  I understand that they must be very busy with admissions, but I have been a little disappointed to not even receive a short email confirmation back from them.  SAIS has been incredibly attentive and responsive along the whole process. If I do happen to get into WWS, I will feel a huge sense of loss not going to SAIS after all their help and considering how good a fit their program is for me. 

Perhaps follow-up and express your interest again?  It couldn't hurt!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow-up note in case it's helpful for future applicants.  WWS notified me on May 1 that they're not admitting me off the waitlist, so they do ultimately contact you with the news!  

Even with this rejection, I really couldn't be happier with the outcome of my grad school applications and am heading to SAIS Bologna with a spring in my step :)