Princeton WWS

Wanderlust22

Dear Fenderpete!

Unfortunately I could not get in. However, it was quite visible to me as my SOP was not good, neither were test scores. As I plan to apply in the next fall, definitely with improved scores, does WWS provide feedback, should I so choose to solicit?

I believe so, if you email back admissions then hopefully someone will be able to get back to know.  Anecdotally I know that relevant work experience is one of the biggest factors in admit decisions.

ASEANdumpling, out of curiosity -- what did the second paragraph of your notification say?

Fair question: it seems like they copy and pasted the second and third paragraphs- the font is different. What does yours say?

The number of admission offers available at Princeton for entering graduate students is extremely limited and we cannot offer admission to all applicants who are well-qualified. Indeed, many departments consistently have applicants who would be admitted without hesitation if the additional resources were available. Our decisions take into account not only the applicants’ merits, but also the suitability of the department’s programs to the candidates’ expressed interests. Our goal is to achieve a sound match between the strengths of our programs and the interests of the relatively small number of outstanding students that can be accommodated.

I wish you success in your plans for graduate study and thank you for considering Princeton University.

Sincerely,

William B. Russel

Dean of the Graduate SchoolThe number of admission offers available at Princeton for entering graduate students is extremely limited and we cannot offer admission to all applicants who are well-qualified. Indeed, many departments consistently have applicants who would be admitted without hesitation if the additional resources were available. Our decisions take into account not only the applicants’ merits, but also the suitability of the department’s programs to the candidates’ expressed interests. Our goal is to achieve a sound match between the strengths of our programs and the interests of the relatively small number of outstanding students that can be accommodated.

I wish you success in your plans for graduate study and thank you for considering Princeton University.

Sincerely,

William B. Russel

Dean of the Graduate School

I believe so, if you email back admissions then hopefully someone will be able to get back to know.  Anecdotally I know that relevant work experience is one of the biggest factors in admit decisions.

fenderpete, in my email for the waitlist, it suggests contacting WWS directly if I have questions about my status. I hope they will be able to give me information regarding my ranking on the list and if there is any information I can provide to bump myself up this list. In my excitement I would like to call today, do you think that is appropriate or would it be more professional/considerate of their time to wait until Monday? Also, do you have an unofficial opinion about the likelihood of being accepted off the waitlist/how many are on the waitlist? Thank you!

Also on the waitlist.  Really proud of myself for getting that far, but of course not the news I was hoping to get.  I second waltlaa9's questions to fenderpete.  I've heard that it is particualrly unlikely to get into WWS from the waitlist, as most people who get in go due to the generous financial aid and quality of the program...

A huge congratulations to everyone who got in! 

Indeed, work experience is a big factor in admission decisions. But I suspect my lack of preparation in economics and statistics had dinged me. In addition, my GRE scores were not above average, let alone stellar. For example V 153, Q 149 and AW 3.5. Anyhow I am really thankful for your feedback to my post.

That's what mine said as while.  I have a pretty specific area I want to specialize in, and I know WWS' program is more generalist so I'm wondering if that's where I was dinged. 

Fair question: it seems like they copy and pasted the second and third paragraphs- the font is different. What does yours say?

The number of admission offers available at Princeton for entering graduate students is extremely limited and we cannot offer admission to all applicants who are well-qualified. Indeed, many departments consistently have applicants who would be admitted without hesitation if the additional resources were available. Our decisions take into account not only the applicants’ merits, but also the suitability of the department’s programs to the candidates’ expressed interests. Our goal is to achieve a sound match between the strengths of our programs and the interests of the relatively small number of outstanding students that can be accommodated.

Sincerely,

William B. Russel

Can others post what their letters say?

Yes, I have a pretty specific plan= mine is access to finance plus regional economic integration for economic development in the ASEAN

WWS doesn't specialize on any of those but I think it is just one of a few form letters that they have. 

fenderpete, in my email for the waitlist, it suggests contacting WWS directly if I have questions about my status. I hope they will be able to give me information regarding my ranking on the list and if there is any information I can provide to bump myself up this list. In my excitement I would like to call today, do you think that is appropriate or would it be more professional/considerate of their time to wait until Monday? Also, do you have an unofficial opinion about the likelihood of being accepted off the waitlist/how many are on the waitlist? Thank you!

As you can all imagine, the phonelines are pretty much melting at the WWS offices now, so I would encourage you guys to hold off on calling if you're on the waitlist.

WWS does not rank its wait list - so don't think of it in those terms.  Whether you get in off the wait depends entirely on WHO chooses to decline/defer.  Believe it or not, we have one amazing admissions guru who has read every single one of the 874 applications this year (along with all our other admissions staff who've worked just as hard).  They try and make a holistic class, so it'll really depend on who doesn't come.

On Monday all MPA/MPP wait list candidates will be mailed a letter from the school with more details about the process.

One thing I would say from personal experience is that a fair few of my friends on the program were either wait listed or deferred - so you're still in with a shot.  Crazy as it sounds, some people do choose to go elsewhere and pay, or for whatever reason need a year more before they accept.  So fingers crossed.

Question for those who admitted/current students: Did you meet with admissions representatives (on campus or elsewhere) prior to applying? I figured it would be an uphill battle to get in this time around, but want to be sure to make my application as strong as possible for next time.

Are any of the admittees re-applicants and if so, any tips on how that process went and the likelihood of getting accepted at for a later year? Thanks and congrats!

HOLY CRAP I GOT IN! :)

NOTE: For those waitlisted, keep hope! I am not accepting because I solely applied just to see if I got in. I already have the top fellowship & scholarship in my Georgetown program and want to be located in DC.  Good luck and maybe my spot will become yours! :) Cheers!

Edited by legallyproper

I didn't meet with any admissions people prior to getting in, but did email professors whose interests I shared.  Really not sure how much any of that factored in though.

Edited by fenderpete

do u know which program ur going to attend?

Not yet, Im debating between LBJ, GPPI and SAIS. I am visiting LBJ this weekend, and SAIS hasn´t managed to answer me about internships for international students witht their first year on Bologna. What about you?

I'm out!  Not surprised, I wasn't a good fit for the program and chose a bit of a wacky topic for my memo since I figured it was a long shot anyway.  

Congrats to everyone who got accepted and waitlisted! 

Congrats to those with good news! Sympathy for those with bad news. Have yourselves a generous pity lunch (if remotely near EST).

Edited by biscuits

I didn't meet with any admissions people prior to getting in, but did email professors whose interests I shared.  Really not sure how much any of that factored in though.

hi, i tought u had posted the web link for the admissions blog, anyway, just in case for the others here to read who maybe havent seen it

http://wwsadmissionsblog.com/

Edited by Tom-MPP

And for those of us on an earlier time zone, we'll enjoy the fact that it's already the weekend. :)

Admittees, can you also post which field/program you applied for? Admissions blog is very helpful, but it would be interested to see what the exact admitted percentages were for each program, not just the number of applicants. But quite a diverse bunch!

HOLY CRAP I GOT IN! :)

NOTE: For those waitlisted, keep hope! I am not accepting because I solely applied just to see if I got in. I already have the top fellowship & scholarship in my Georgetown program and want to be located in DC.  Good luck and maybe my spot will become yours! :) Cheers!

Legallyproper, congrats on your fantastic offers and thank you for your note about not accepting -- I'll be hoping there are others like you.

As you can all imagine, the phonelines are pretty much melting at the WWS offices now, so I would encourage you guys to hold off on calling if you're on the waitlist.

WWS does not rank its wait list - so don't think of it in those terms.  Whether you get in off the wait depends entirely on WHO chooses to decline/defer.  Believe it or not, we have one amazing admissions guru who has read every single one of the 874 applications this year (along with all our other admissions staff who've worked just as hard).  They try and make a holistic class, so it'll really depend on who doesn't come.

On Monday all MPA/MPP wait list candidates will be mailed a letter from the school with more details about the process.

One thing I would say from personal experience is that a fair few of my friends on the program were either wait listed or deferred - so you're still in with a shot.  Crazy as it sounds, some people do choose to go elsewhere and pay, or for whatever reason need a year more before they accept.  So fingers crossed.

fenderpete, thank you for your advice and the encouragement. Sounds like it might be a crap shoot depending on who declines/defers, but it does provide hope. I'll wait for the mailed letter from the school about the waitlist process.

Rejected :( oh well...was hoping to get on the waitlist....congratulations to everyone who got in though! It wasnt the best fit for me but the $$$ would have helped!