How many of you are making the move...

CJMSW

I am the odd one out at my university... out of all my classmates, I only know two other people that are applying out of state. As such, I am leaving the state to attend graduate school.

Edited by citychild

I am moving from San Diego to Boston...

@TLC I might be moving from Orange County to Boston! 

It's definitely a lot to take in/consider. Especially money wise...

@Kmed

I thought I was the only one making this insanely expensive trek :-)

I would love to stay here and go to SDSU or another Southern California program but the military has made that impossible. What programs are making you consider Boston?

Wow it is so exciting to see others moving to pursue their educational goals! Is anyone else concerned about the out of state tuition that is associated with being a newbie in the state they're moving to? Most of the out of state schools I've looked at going to require between 6-1 year of residency before being eligible for the awesome in-state tuition rates.

I'll most likely be making the move from Portland, OR to the east coast...unless I end up going to UW (but that all depends on a decision from them). Last year I made a cross country road trip to help someone move from pdx to CT, so it will be funny if I'm doing the same for myself this coming summer.

I'll be making a big move! Not quite sure where to yet... some of the options are only a few states away, while others are significantly further. I tried to find something closer to ease the transition and reduce costs, but for my specific goals and interests, I felt the need to apply to certain schools. 

I'm so ready to hear from my last school, compare funding offers, and MAKE THE DECISION!! I want to start planning the move and getting excited about the next phase of my life :)

This is something I have been debating as well. I applied to one school in-state (and i got in!) but I am still waiting on hearing back from my out of state options. It is such a hard decision to make! Are you guys planning on staying in the city you go to grad school in for a while?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to the Midwest from California (still debating over UIUC or UW - Madison). I think it will be a great 2 years of my life to live in a different state. I've heard many people say that if you want to work with a certain population in your own community you should get an MSW near where you want to work. But if you're open to working with different types of people, I think going out of state will be a refreshing breath of air!