SIPA

ийнна

I really am not sure .. applied for a MIA .. SIPA is my top dream . but I don't have the professional experience, in fact I come straight from my undergrad. But I know if I get in I will totally put everything, so much effort into it to do well ! 

haa good luck to you all guys !!

Where else did you apply? :) 

Hi ! I am sorry I think I took the info from last year !!! And they said around the 1st of March ! Sorry for this confusion !

which program did you apply for everyone? 

Are you talking about the MIA program? If the admissions office said the 1st of March then we might hear something tomorrow. 

Edited by Kadisha

Are you talking about the MIA program? If the admissions office said the 1st of March then we might hear something tomorrow. 

No, he confused it with last year.

the info about 1st of march was what was said last year so obviously this year is going to be different - that is what I meant ..

thankfully i have my dissertation to write so i have his other stress to 'distract' me from the wait !

good luck everyone and lets try not to think about it - i know easier to say than to do  :unsure:

SIPA posted this on their admission blog on March 4:

"we’re actively reviewing applications — unfortunately, keeping you abreast of our daily activities was put on hold (not on purpose — we lost track of what day it was ).  with hopes of releasing decisions beginning on march 18th, we are  identifying all the candidates who would be a great fit at SIPA and those who we have to unfortunately turn away this year."

I went to Columbia for undergrad and cross registered a few classes at SIPA. If you have any questions PM me or post here and I'll try my best to answer them. 

Edited by Goose1459

i have a question for SIPA applicants, or maybe even those who decided not to apply....

how does SIPA match up to policy programs at duke, carnegie mellon, michigan, uchicago, nyu, Berkeley, WWS, HKS? 

I ask because I've noticed many of the applicant to these programs are waiting on SIPA, but at surface, the program isn't as well ranked. is this a case where rankings don't reflect the strength of the program? or is it the NYC factor? 

Edited by campussartorialist

i have a question for SIPA applicants, or maybe even those who decided not to apply....

how does SIPA match up to policy programs at duke, carnegie mellon, michigan, uchicago, nyu, Berkeley, WWS, HKS? 

I ask because I've noticed many of the applicant to these programs are waiting on SIPA, but at surface, the program isn't as well ranked. is this a case where rankings don't reflect the strength of the program? or is it the NYC factor? 

did more research and see that SIPA is 3rd in environmental and 6th in foreign policy... that makes much more sense. so SIPA is a no go for domestic, non-environemntal policy? 

I'm honestly not sure why SIPA sometimes gets a bad rap, but I would say it is a step above all those programs except WWS and HKS. Speaking as a New Yorker, SIPA has a much better reputation than NYU/Wagner, and I don't think some of the other programs you mentioned are particularly well regarded (or highly ranked) at all. Why do you think SIPA is poorly ranked? It's easily in the top for international affairs, but I'm not sure about public policy more generally.

I think, in past years, it has been criticized for funding, but having just applied to schools this year, funding options at SIPA are much better than at least HKS, so I think a lot of the criticism is undeserved. 

Edited by soapwater

did more research and see that SIPA is 3rd in environmental and 6th in foreign policy... that makes much more sense. so SIPA is a no go for domestic, non-environemntal policy? 

Where are you getting these rankings? Rankings in general are silly, but if you're using U.S. News or something then they are particularly silly. Other, more objective rankings make more sense with JD/MBA programs that compare application numbers to acceptance to yield to graduation rate to employment prospects to salary etc. Public policy/IR rankings do none of that, and are completely subjective. 

I think WWS, HKS, SAIS, SIPA, SFS, and Fletcher are generally regarded as the top IR schools (in no particular order except for WWS/HKS and maybe SAIS).

Edited by soapwater

I think WWS, HKS, SAIS, SIPA, SFS, and Fletcher are generally regarded as the top IR schools (in no particular order except for WWS/HKS and maybe SAIS).

I agree with soapwater there. Those are the top 6 IR schools. Surely Harris, Goldman, etc. are up there too, but not as widely known globally as the top 6.

With b-schools, they have this famous M7 thing, like the circle of the top 7..

@ sopawater, wish you good luck with Sipa and Oxford, dont worry about Hks, you can try again next year

Where are you getting these rankings? Rankings in general are silly, but if you're using U.S. News or something then they are particularly silly. Other, more objective rankings make more sense with JD/MBA programs that compare application numbers to acceptance to yield to graduation rate to employment prospects to salary etc. Public policy/IR rankings do none of that, and are completely subjective. 

I agree that the rankings are silly, especially when US News is obviously confused by the MPA and MPP labeling. It's still interesting that SIPA is such an outlier on US News compared to other respected programs... 23? Doesn't seem to match up.

Edited by campussartorialist