SIPA

ийнна

Did you get the email first? I haven't received the email and I am on apply yourself and don't see news on my MIA app

Yes, e-mail to check website with a new link toward the bottom that directs you to a separate page.

Just admitted! :D When I began the grad application process, SIPA was the top of my list...with dreams of NYC living. However, SIPA offered me no funding, and both the school and that NYC living are phurettty costly. Unless I get Pickering, I just don't see how SIPA is finacially feasible.

That said, Fletcher offered me 19K/year, contacted me numerous times throughout the decision process to update me, and just offered to pay for my plane ticket to Boston for their open house. They've made me feel like the prettiest girl at prom. haha. I guess I need to start thinking about life as a Bostonian...and maybe spend my summers in NYC. ;)

Congrats to everyone who was admitted! And good luck to all moving forward making decisions and starting school this fall!

Accepted but not a fan of SIPA anymore :( no funding, unpredictable second-year funding, limited student-faculty interaction etc. make it less attractive to me now....although I would rank Columbia MIA higher than the Harvard MPP...

Accepted with no funding. 

I went to Columbia for undergrad, and while I enjoyed my time there fully, love the University, and imagined myself as a SIPA student during my time there, not sure if it is the right place for me as I get further down the line.

I'll probably still attend the admitted students day, though.

Edited by Goose1459

Accepted but not a fan of SIPA anymore :( no funding, unpredictable second-year funding, limited student-faculty interaction etc. make it less attractive to me now....although I would rank Columbia MIA higher than the Harvard MPP...

I feel the same way. The more I've read about SIPA, and the more I've interacted with the admissions office, the more turned off I've become of the program. I'm not sure that living in NYC and having an Ivy League tag makes up for those negatives. It especially doesn't without aid to offset the huge cost. Congrats on your other admissions!  

Yea, I've had direct interaction through email with all the other schools I applied to and not a single point of contact with SIPA.  Guess that should have been foreboding.  Either way, I'm kind of happy I got rejected somewhere, if nothing else to know my limits in terms of acceptance.

Accepted to the MPA! Some funding, but less than SAIS or Fletcher.

Seems most people echo my thoughts. SIPA had been my top choice for the past year for a variety of reasons, but I have to admit seeing so many negative comments gets into your head. I don't mind the school being big and impersonal (the school is like the city - everything is there for you, but you can't be afraid to go after it - but the career services and job statistics are a concern). It's going to be a tough decision, but I think it will come down to cost. Unless I get a Pickering, I don't see SIPA being feasible. :(

Yea, I've had direct interaction through email with all the other schools I applied to and not a single point of contact with SIPA.  Guess that should have been foreboding.  Either way, I'm kind of happy I got rejected somewhere, if nothing else to know my limits in terms of acceptance.

It's not customary for admissions people to have direct contact with you unless you contact them, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. SIPA responded to all my e-mails the same as every other school.

I was accepted into the MPA, with no funding for the 1st year. However, I think I'm going to go for it! The program is really a great fit for me, there is so much you can personalize, the concentrations/specializations are great (I will likely do EPD/Management and cluster all my electives around the IFEP/Latin American tracks - if I can't do two concentrations or two specializations). My other main option was the MPA at NYU, but I just don't think that I'd get as much of an international perspective and take the type of courses I really want to. Either way, I had no funding at NYU and at least at SIPA I have the possibility of getting 2nd year funding to offset debt whereas NYU made it clear you couldn't get funding 2nd year if you didn't already get it. I also have potential living arrangements where I wouldn't have to pay much if at all so that takes a huge chunk out.

I'm excited, I didn't realize how much I wanted to attend SIPA until I was accepted and started dreaming up course possibilities!

It's not customary for admissions people to have direct contact with you unless you contact them, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. SIPA responded to all my e-mails the same as every other school.

Actually, Fletcher contacted me several times after I applied, simply to update me on the process. The very person that read my application wrote me to say how much she enjoyed reviewing my materials and offered to answer any questions I had throughout the process. The school mailed me a hand written thank you note for applying, and the same woman that wrote me after reviewing my application, later wrote me to congratulate me on my acceptance. They're very hands on. So, while it may be standard for IR grad schools to be more reactive in their interactions with prospective students, some take a much more proactive approach, and it really stands out.

Yea I know both Korbel and Whitehead emailed me to let me know they were currently reviewing my applications.  In addition, the Admissions assistant at Whitehead emailed me to tell me about a scholarship she recommended I apply for.  Even if it is not as prolific of a school, that alone will be taken into account for my decision.

They made a mistake when reviewing my application and it said there was a missing document. It took 1 month a 23 days for them to answer the many mails I sent them, and the answer was a laconic "We will amend this on your application", no named signature, no greeting, nothing.

Conversely, I had problems with both of my applications to Wagner and Goldman and they responded my email within hours, and in a very warm and friendly manner.

Edited by alf10087

This is very interesting to me. My experience is completely different, whenever I sent them e-mails they would reply back very quickly and both times I visited they were really nice and helpful... In terms of funding, the more "prestigious" the school is, the better chances I have to get money from my country´s government so even though I notice red flags with everything you guys are saying SIPA is still my best bet to study in the US.

Actually, Fletcher contacted me several times after I applied, simply to update me on the process. The very person that read my application wrote me to say how much she enjoyed reviewing my materials and offered to answer any questions I had throughout the process. The school mailed me a hand written thank you note for applying, and the same woman that wrote me after reviewing my application, later wrote me to congratulate me on my acceptance. They're very hands on. So, while it may be standard for IR grad schools to be more reactive in their interactions with prospective students, some take a much more proactive approach, and it really stands out.

I'm sure Columbia does this for top students it's trying to lure into the program. I didn't cast as wide a net, but SIPA was the same as HKS for me. Larger programs with more applicants probably can't give the same level of personalized attention.

I'm sure Columbia does this for top students it's trying to lure into the program. I didn't cast as wide a net, but SIPA was the same as HKS for me. Larger programs with more applicants probably can't give the same level of personalized attention.

I'm sure that's true to a certain degree. Since Fletcher and SIPA are so closely ranked, I'm surprised I heard so much from one and not at all from the other, although SIPA did contact me and suggest I apply to a number of named fellowships. I just think, generally, SIPA has a reputation for being more hands off and impersonal with their MIA students...small fish in a big pond sort of scenario. That said, there's tons of opportunities in NYC and at SIPA, it just seems like you're more or less left on your own to figure those opportunities out.

rejected and close to kill myself :'( 

comngrats to you all ! 

lol dont say that... there will always be other schools and other chances, and if your heart is set on SIPA you can always improve your application and put in for the next cycle.

if i havent been emailed yet, can i assume rejection? sounds like a lot of MIAs have already gotten a decision.