SIPA

ийнна

If that's considered trolling by our future classmates then we've got issues. 

Huh? The troll posts were deleted by the mod, not sure if you saw them. It was nasty.

I've been researching SIPA more the last couple days, and I think these forums really give SIPA a bum rap it doesn't deserve. I was thoroughly convinced I wouldn't go to the point where I didn't even bother applying for fellowships, but I'm finding that even in terms of financial aid, SIPA is more generous than people here make it out to be. I think 2009-2010 were bad years for employment statistics, but the closest schools in terms of quality (GTown, SAIS) either don't publish complete employment data or fare worse in terms of salaries, or their employment data is incredibly vague (Fletcher). GTown SFS doesn't give average salaries, which is rather telling.

Anyway, I think employment prospects in 2011-12 were vastly improved at SIPA. A SIPA MPA student can expect to earn more than either SAIS or Fletcher grads (again, no info. from GTown). The average MIA salary is also higher than SAIS for the private sector (although SIPA doesn't parse out "multilateral" from its public sector statistics). And SIPA is the only school to publish specific employment data (organization plus title/position) out of the four. SIPA is also the most competitive out of Fletcher/SAIS for both the MPA and MIA according to Peterson's despite having the largest class. 

Even though Columbia's career services are notoriously bad, the other resources at SIPA and the quality of faculty are pretty enormous (in fact, there's little to distinguish it from HKS in that regard). And speaking from experience, the route between the UN, CFR, and SIPA is a well-traveled path for visiting leaders/scholars. They aren't visiting Tufts.

Anyway, I'm pretty pissed I didn't bother applying for fellowships just based on a woefully inaccurate impression these forums have given me over the years. Its financial aid is better than HKS, its employment data is better than SAIS, Fletcher, and maybe GTown, and its resources are both vast and unique compared to other schools. 

In short, don't trust the self-serving, self-perpetuating impressions you get on TheGradCafe. It's remarkable how much these forums can distort reality. Several years ago SIPA was my dream school because I loved NYC so much, and then coming to TheGradCafe altered that impression to where I almost didn't apply to SIPA (I did the 2/5 deadline this year). Now I can say confidently that, in a variety of ways, people here often don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Ha!  Amen @soaps!  Thanks for the input.  I'm also pretty torn between staying in NYC and attending SIPA, despite the big school & reputedly terrible career services.  I think our hustle factor and conditioning to NYC certainly helps.  

My other top option is SAIS (Bologna 1st year + DC 2nd year), but I'm starting to think that the year in DC is going to be so culturally soporific that I'd rather just deal with SIPA to stay in NYC.  Sorry, DC denizens!

lobsterphone, did you get any funding from SAIS? For me it was between SAIS and SIPA as well (no funding at either) and since I didn't get the IDEV track I wanted, my choice was pretty much made easier as a result. However, I do think SAIS is a great school if the program you are in fits what you want. In my case, no matter how they said I could still take IDEV courses it wouldn't make any sense to go in on that assumption since you'd be at the bottom of the barrel trying to get into those courses AND you'd have to fulfill the reqs. for another concentration (none of which I liked) leaving you with only a couple of electives to try to get into those IDEV courses.

Ha!  Amen @soaps!  Thanks for the input.  I'm also pretty torn between staying in NYC and attending SIPA, despite the big school & reputedly terrible career services.  I think our hustle factor and conditioning to NYC certainly helps.  

My other top option is SAIS (Bologna 1st year + DC 2nd year), but I'm starting to think that the year in DC is going to be so culturally soporific that I'd rather just deal with SIPA to stay in NYC.  Sorry, DC denizens!

You know I'm really interested how this claim has been perpetuated. Based on what evidence? Don't get me wrong this isn't directed at you, but it's not the first time I hear such a claim on here. 

I've heard that claim too. There was some evidence being sighted as their employment stats, but honestly when I looked at it I didn't see anything that was too out of the ordinary, especially when I took into consideration their size. There seemed to be a larger amount of people who were still unemployed after six months or had not reported, but the program is larger so I'm assuming % wise it makes sense if compared. The starting salaries was comparable and at times higher than other schools. I think someone said that they weren't much help unless you were interested in finance/consulting which is strange but it could be that since that is harder to break into with an MPA instead of an MBA, maybe they put an emphasis on it because it's easier to get a non-profit/public service job without as much assistance?

Not sure, and I won't know for sure until I start. However, I will say that I went to a fairly large undergrad with a fairly large business program. At the end of the day, there were people that complained about the career services and people that liked it and thought they did a good job. Often times, I find with large programs and so many students it just depends on how much you are willing to partake in. If you get out there and attend info sessions and make appointments to discuss resumes and cover letters, or interview prep you will get a lot out of it. If you expect them to seek you out or make a huge effort to get you to put in the time and continuously reach out the way a smaller program might, you'll be disappointed.

But you never know. It could be their career services is terrible and once I'm in SIPA, I will find that out!

I've heard that claim too. There was some evidence being sighted as their employment stats, but honestly when I looked at it I didn't see anything that was too out of the ordinary, especially when I took into consideration their size. There seemed to be a larger amount of people who were still unemployed after six months or had not reported, but the program is larger so I'm assuming % wise it makes sense if compared. The starting salaries was comparable and at times higher than other schools. I think someone said that they weren't much help unless you were interested in finance/consulting which is strange but it could be that since that is harder to break into with an MPA instead of an MBA, maybe they put an emphasis on it because it's easier to get a non-profit/public service job without as much assistance?

Not sure, and I won't know for sure until I start. However, I will say that I went to a fairly large undergrad with a fairly large business program. At the end of the day, there were people that complained about the career services and people that liked it and thought they did a good job. Often times, I find with large programs and so many students it just depends on how much you are willing to partake in. If you get out there and attend info sessions and make appointments to discuss resumes and cover letters, or interview prep you will get a lot out of it. If you expect them to seek you out or make a huge effort to get you to put in the time and continuously reach out the way a smaller program might, you'll be disappointed.

But you never know. It could be their career services is terrible and once I'm in SIPA, I will find that out!

I'm currently out-processing out of the military, and it's amazing how big of a difference your resume and cover letter make. Not in shape, but in content. In my opinion the military does a fine job at preparing people to leave the military and go back into the civilian world. With that said, we STILL have homeless veterans and some living of welfare. Like everything it all comes down to your own initiative and ,like you said, how involved you are, and how much you're willing to put into the job search.

I don't know why people expect their hand to be held during the entire process of finding a job. As long as the career services gives me an opportunity then I'll be happy. I'm in the MIA program, and I'm going to have at least two years to set myself up for a job once I graduate. I think that's more than enough time. 

I've heard from current/former SIPA students who've recommended avoiding the career services center. SIPA has fine employments stats for a public policy/int'l affairs program (not to mention alumni going on to do amazing things); it's just that the school won't hold your hand finding a job. It's part of living in a big city where no one is special, and I imagine this comes naturally to some and not others. I never used career services in undergrad and I was fine. 

On another note, has anyone inquired about the possibilities of completing two concentrations? I am doing the EDP concentration, but am very interested in the Economic Policy track as well (also I think they compliment each other nicely). I have worked out that I could do both + a specialization without having to double count more than a couple of courses, but I don't know if it's even allowed.

I find it telling that I get multiple emails a day from SIPA promoting their various concentrations/specializations, student association, etc but I'm getting radio silence in response to an email query I sent them over a week ago (+ a friendly reminder) about Admitted Students Day.

I find it telling that I get multiple emails a day from SIPA promoting their various concentrations/specializations, student association, etc but I'm getting radio silence in response to an email query I sent them over a week ago (+ a friendly reminder) about Admitted Students Day.

I usually get responses within 24 hours. I'd give them a call. They're really courteous over the phone.

Yea gatsby8724, I'm not sure why they haven't responded to you yet. I've found them super responsive and any question I've asked either directly or through the Google group gets a same day/one day later response. The one thing is, I haven't received a financial aid package yet....has anyone else received that info yet. The financial aid office told 7 days ago that I'd get it in 4-5 days but I haven't yet.

I'd just like to add to the other people saying that the best way to get a hold of them is just by calling. It's really the quickest and easiest way to get an answer for your question. Even if they don't have an answer right away, they will have some one contact you within a day or so.

Also for anyone interested we're having a get together the Friday after admitted student's day. PM me for more info. 

I e-mailed them today and got a response literally 5 minutes later, along with my package. I'm not going to be able to attend the Admitted Students Day, would someone be willing to either post or PM the information/vibe you get?

Out of curiosity, by when do admitted students have to put in a deposit/accept offers? Just want to know so us waitlisters can ballpark around when we might receive updates. I know in previous years they have even extended it to May.

Out of curiosity, by when do admitted students have to put in a deposit/accept offers? Just want to know so us waitlisters can ballpark around when we might receive updates. I know in previous years they have even extended it to May.

I'm not sure which program you applied to, but the deadline should be stated in your admission letter.

Mine says the following:

To reserve your seat in the Class of 2015, please respond to this offer of admission and submit the nonrefundable tuition deposit of $1,000 no later than 5/1/2013

Thanks Kadisha and kingofqueens! I applied for the MPA program. The WL letter didn't have any specific information, but the admissions blog said April at the earliest. Seems likely that any updates will come in late April or early May.

I declined SIPA's offer very quickly when I saw that I didn't get funding.  I did so using their online tool and by emailing them, but their admissions office keeps sending me various emails for admitted students and two current students have reached out to me this past week.  I specifically declined early with the waitlist in mind, so wrote to them again yesterday.  Unfortunately it seems from this experience that they don't necessarily get working on the waitlist early since they still seem to consider me a potential student.  This is obviously just my one experience, but I agree with lemony that it seems like any other decisions won't be released until late April/May. 

Good luck everyone!  SIPA would be a great place to be, I just sadly can't afford it. 

Thoughts on today's open house? I was super impressed with a lot of things but was turned off by a couple things as well. First: I was really impressed with all the admits I talked to today. Second: Very pleased with the ISP, human rights, and (especially) the conflict resolution plenaries. The faculty and current students I talked to were remarkably well-spoken and completely honest/genuine.

Some things I didn't like: the alumni panel seemed like a mouthpiece for admissions, which made it rather unhelpful. Some people asked really pointed questions that were basically ignored. The current student panel was much more open. But most disappointingly (for me), no one from the South Asia specialization showed up for their panel. I'll be e-mailing them to see what's up, but hopefully everyone else's plenaries went as planned.

Overall everyone was super helpful and friendly. The first half of the day left me feeling really good about maybe attending, but the second half left me with some (maybe minor?) questions.

Any other thoughts?

Edited by soaps

Soaps, (or anyone that attending)

did they address the issue of second year funding? I believe I read 70% of students receive some funding their second year, but what is the average size of the financial award? Did they speak about TA or RA positions...anything to help fund your education?

Thanks!

I didn't attend Admit Day, but I've read and heard that the funding is awarded to 70-80% of 2nd years. I've also been told that  most of those who don't receive funding during their 2nd years, either didn't apply or didn't have a 3.4 GPA. This includes TA awards - I don't believe they have RA positions at SIPA but I could be wrong. They say on the website that the average award is approx. 1/2 of what's needed. But I don't believe that counts any outside awards you may apply to before your second year begins.

This info came from someone in SIPA admissions or finaid who responded to the google group.

I also attended Admitted Students Day yesterday.

According to SIPA's Financial Aid Office, 65-70% of second-year students receive assistantships.  They range in size from $6-$20K per semester with the average being $10,500 per semester.  The higher range is for TA positions which require a 20-25 hour commitment per week.

I went to the financial aid session at the admitted students day yesterday. The director spoke in detail about the 2nd year awards, and 70% of those students who apply usually get awards. It seems there are three types-- teaching assitantships, research/program assistants, and readers. TAs typically get 20k per semester, RA/PA positions get about 10.5k per semester, and I think readers get 6k per semester. The average award is 10.5k because there are many more RA positions available.

Hope this helps!