SIPA

ийнна

I haven't heard from SIPA yet. I even checked the online app and it says ' submitted' ?.ive applied for the MPA.. Should I be worried ?

I wouldn't worry as results may be sent in waves. But I would be sure that you've fully checked the website. When I first checked, it appeared there was no change in my status. Then, under application management, I clicked "Fall 2014" then "open application" and saw a update note. I clicked that link and was directed to the acceptance letter. Hope this helps. Good luck. 

Edited by thrtyfutsmurf

accepted to the MPA program. Regrading funding, On this forum it seems that MIA people have heard on funding. Any MPA or MPA-DP guys given any funding? Also the letter says that in the next few weeks you will hear about aid- so there is still a chance for funding opportunities.

I applied for the MPA and did get offered funding.  I'll be declining though, so it may well be available for someone else.

I wouldn't worry as results may be sent in waves. But I would be sure that you've fully checked the website. When I first checked, it appeared there were no change in my status. Then, under application management, I clicked "Fall 2014" the "open application" and saw a update note. I clicked that link and was directed to the acceptance letter. Hope this helps. Good luck. 

Same here. Click to "Fall 2014" @Dancer Girl

@samiam : did you get one of those named fellowships?

Don't think so. I got a Dean's Leadership Scholarship for first year, which seems to be tuition remission with no additional work required, as well as a promise of an assistantship for one semester of second year (contingent on maintaining a particular GPA).

I'm in too! I didn't receive any email, I checked SIPA's website.

I applied for the MIA program. In my case, the acceptance letter contained funding information.

Good luck everyone!!

Congratulations! That's brilliant. Which fellowship is this?

Thanks! Says its Davis scholarship. Not sure what it is, probably has something to do with the International Fellows Program (IFP) which I applied. I will most likely turn down the offer though..

yes it is a paragraph in the admission letter, it reads

In recognition of your outstanding application and achievements, you have been awarded the Dean’s Service Scholarship. As a recipient of the Dean’s Service Scholarship, you will be guaranteed a coveted SIPA assistantship (service that is valued at a minimum of $10,500) for one semester in your second year of study at SIPA if you maintain a GPA of 3.4 and full-time enrollment at SIPA. In order to secure the assistantship, you would be required to apply and accept the assistantship offer in April 2015. Further information on the assistantship will be provided to you in your fall semester.

Yeah, I got that one too. Not sure what it means, though...

Thanks! Says its Davis scholarship. Not sure what it is, probably has something to do with the International Fellows Program (IFP) which I applied. I will most likely turn down the offer though..

Oh ok. What are your options? 

Has anyone tried contacting the SIPA admissions office? I have a question about my scholarship and I left a message and sent an email, but nothing yet (I only just reached out today, so maybe just a factor of being patient). 

Hey everyone,

I'm a current first year at SIPA and love it here. I can try to answer questions and will probably meet a few of you during Admitted Students Day in April.

To the guy above me, the # you receive in your acceptance letter is your CUID, which you use to log into your financial aid portal.

Once you pay your deposit, you will receive your UNI which is your username for email

@Are we there yet?

Thanks for taking time to join in on this thread and offer advice. I have a few questions:

1) Financial leveraging: I got into SIPA but with no funding apparently. However, SAIS IDEV gave me 20, Fletecher gave me a 24k Bosworth Scholarship; do you think I can leverage that against SIPA to get funding or are they just not worth trying? NYC and Columbia are expensive, and even with some financial assistance, I would have to take serious debt and am worried about my ability to make due under it.

2) Quant: I am very quant focused and it is important to me; how do you feel about Columbia's quant ability? I am looking to go into private capital investment in SE Asia, but am open to IMF and World Bank. Does Columbia have a good reputation?

3) Student Body: Do you find that you are supported/have a sense of community at SIPA? Forums often point to SIPA being a bit colder due to the size and not feeling as invested in as students, but I wanted an actual student's perspective rather than just the online tropes. 

4) Is it decently internationally focused? For example, Fletcher is more internationally prone but Kennedy is more US focused in terms of courses, etc.

Thanks a ton!

1.  Age-old question should I try to leverage?  I did not try to do it, but last year, one guy on the thread said he successfully did.  He later erased his post when SIPA was apparently flooded with similar requests who were ultimately unsuccessful.  Do I think you will succeed, probably not.  But if you have enough pride go for it, just don't get your hopes up.  Instead I would try to talk to SAIS with the Fletcher offer in mind (I'll explain at the end)

2.  I'm assuming you are interested in APEA.  You will be taking "advanced" quant and economics both years so you will be challenged.  This is not the most popular major here so not that much attention is geared towards it but these guys earn the most $$$ after graduation, historically, if that is important to you.  Lots of folks end up somewhere on Wall St but we have a healthy dose of those interested the DC community (WB, IMF, Treasury, etc)

3.  Absolute sense of community! SIPA is a BIG program so it is easy to feel lost given the size.  If you are someone who thrives with personalized attention then this is not the place for you.  We value teamwork and almost every class will feature some major group project at least once per semester (some classes many more).  People look out for each other and the countless clubs and advocacy groups organize lots of mixers so it is easy to meet people.  If you are shy will you survive?  Yeah there are plenty of people who skip the "party" and do just fine but you would miss out

4.  Not sure if you meant coursework or student body?  Coursework: If you are MIA then yes.  MPA not as much but you can frame your course-load to reflect it if you wish, especially 2nd year.

Student diversity I think is 55/45 International students

It seems to me as if you are trying to rationalize SIPA (is it your favorite?) and the potential 100k+ debt that you could accrue (assuming no 2nd year funding, but most people get at least ~10k in the 2nd year)

There are a lot of people here who took the risk and don't regret it and there are some who are getting anxious with 2nd year funding results coming out in a few weeks.  

This is a personal decision, and I cannot sway you one way or the other.  But Fletcher and SAIS (especially in a competitive program like IDEV) are offering you $$$, and I think that you should follow the money.  SAIS is probably top in the country in quant preparation and there are plenty of opportunities for internships at the various DC organizations.  I love SIPA, but it is not for everyone so be forewarned.  If you are an independent self-starter it will be heaven.  If you need tailored guidance, probably not.  Good luck!

Hi everyone, do you receive the notification of checking the email? 

My friends say they directly checked the web and found the info. but I did not see anything new in the web.

Are you the same?

Ditto. I have checked the website multiple times now. Anyone else who hasn't heard about their MPA app?

@ are we there yet

Thanks for offering the info here. It's been really helpful!

I have a few questions as well.

1. SIPA is known for its quant and math heavy curricular. Although I'm admitted, I gotta say I've been away from math for at least 6 years since my graduation from high school. I know doing well in quant is essential in getting a job, but I m worried I can't catch up. Is there any math camp or intro level Econ classes I can find at SIPA? (They admitted me despite my lack of Econ background. I m both thrilled and worried!)

2. What about the language classes? Are they popular with the SIPA student body? I'm already speaking two languages but I want to start another, from the beginning. Would you suggest me to take intro level classes before attending or just go straight to SIPA and take the non credit courses in the first semester?

Thanks again ;-).

accepted to the MPA program. Regrading funding, On this forum it seems that MIA people have heard on funding. Any MPA or MPA-DP guys given any funding? Also the letter says that in the next few weeks you will hear about aid- so there is still a chance for funding opportunities.

Anyone for MPA/ MPA-DP got their funding info??

Edited by admm.noops

Thanks for the info 'are we there yet'

1. Pre-requisite : This one is very similar to what EliZhang asked. I am from engineering background and am pretty ok with quant. My statistics basics are also good but econ is pretty weak as i have never taken an econ class. Would u a advice to take some Statistics and econ classes before joining or is first  year classes sufficient enough to pick it up?

2. How are the internship opportunities at the end of first year?

3. How many students were offered Exchange program with GPPN schools? what do u personally feel as the pros and cons for the exchange program?

Thanks in advance...

I accepted from PEPM (no funding) and still waiting for MPA results.

This the third day, hope I find my answers today!

Waitlisted: Upenn MPA, Michigan MPP

Rejected: Duke MPP