SIPA

ийнна

Do not lose time and money with a overrate program like SIPA. go to en business scholl if you wanna master finance

Thx wiseking! But the truth is I do not get admissions from very good b schools with high reputations or good locations. I am afraid that job placements will be a question. as for SIPA the advantages are location and reputation though job placement will still be a problem I guess.

I did not hear anything from SIPA yet. Does it mean I do not have any chance at all?  :(

I'm still waiting too. They'll have second batch. We still have chance!!!

I am assuming that u guys already checked the application portal for update...(coz i got the mail later)

https://apply.sipa.columbia.edu/account/login?r=https%3a%2f%2fapply.sipa.columbia.edu%2fapply%2f 

I'm admitted to SIPA MPA without funding (sad) and the tuition is too heavy a burden for me...

I'm also admitted to NYU Wagner MPA (no funding...) and I heard the tuition there is much cheaper...

I got so confused. Is there anybody offering advice?

Thx a lot!

Hey, Legacy. I cannot login your link. It shows "Verify that the URL you are requesting is correct, complete, and has not been truncated in email transit." Where did you get your mail? Thanks.

When I checked yesterday I didn't have an update on my status...and now it's showing the error message just like for lingdiankuangtu.. This waiting is torture .. Aargh!

Hey, Legacy. I cannot login your link. It shows "Verify that the URL you are requesting is correct, complete, and has not been truncated in email transit." Where did you get your mail? Thanks. 

When I checked yesterday I didn't have an update on my status...and now it's showing the error message just like for lingdiankuangtu.. This waiting is torture .. Aargh!

Surprisingly I am still able to open the link... Why don't u guys go to SIPA home page and navigate to application portal from there (Under ADMISSIONS tab > Apply now > Apply for Fall 2014> Returning users..)

@ lingdiankuangtu

I got the mail from sipa_admission@columbia.edu..

I'm admitted to SIPA MPA without funding (sad) and the tuition is too heavy a burden for me...

I'm also admitted to NYU Wagner MPA (no funding...) and I heard the tuition there is much cheaper...

I got so confused. Is there anybody offering advice?

Thx a lot!

Hey laurence,

I got to know from one of my friends that, at SIPA u can get funding in second year if u manage to perform well in first year... 

Whats the total difference that u r looking at between wagner and sipa? try to list out advantages and weigh both options.. You have pretty decent info in this thread from previous year. But again most of them are opinions, you will need to do your own research. Personally if i was in your position i would have gone for sipa..

Good Luck, Cheers!!!

Hey laurence,

I got to know from one of my friends that, at SIPA u can get funding in second year if u manage to perform well in first year... 

Whats the total difference that u r looking at between wagner and sipa? try to list out advantages and weigh both options.. You have pretty decent info in this thread from previous year. But again most of them are opinions, you will need to do your own research. Personally if i was in your position i would have gone for sipa..

Good Luck, Cheers!!!

Great thx for ur info!

Have you decided to join SIPA? Hope we'll meet there~

Actually I'd like to find a job in private sector after graduation, I know MPA may not be a good choice, but NYC is indeed the city I'm looking for...

Edited by Laurence

Great thx for ur info!

Actually I'd like to find a job in private sector after graduation, I know MPA may not be a good choice, but NYC is indeed the city I'm looking for...

Yes i will be joining SIPA. Though i am still waiting on results from LSE, I am a bit apprehensive about job opportunities in Europe in general. Looking at the previous years statistics it looks like sipa students have had their share in private sector too. But i have heard that career service cell at SIPA sucks, so it boils down to your efforts and opportunities. And in that case being in NYC will help..

Looking forward to meet u too ..

Edited by Legacy

Congrats to those who got in! I applied to the MIA program and got waitlisted. Anyway, I got in GWU's Elliott School and I have more interest in the nonprofit sector. So I guess I will finially go to GWU. Any thoughts?

Congrats to those who got in! I applied to the MIA program and got waitlisted. Anyway, I got in GWU's Elliott School and I have more interest in the nonprofit sector. So I guess I will finially go to GWU. Any thoughts?

I got accepted into GWU as well...

Looking at their employment data for alums, it seems to be a pretty well-performing masters program, w/ almost 90% of grads getting some form of employment, post-grad.

Also, the alumni network is vast, and their presence in DC is very prominent.

If you want to work in DC, you def won't have problems of ppl not recognizing/respecting you

But the size of the program also means you're not "unique" in the sense that there're many others with a same degree as you. 

And esp in DC, there's gonna be a lot of Elliott grads you'll have to go up against.

SAIS grads have this same problem as well...

You also have to worry about ppl not recognizing how good GWU Elliott is outside of DC...

It certainly doesn't have the same brand recognition as Georgetown and SFS.

I'm still waiting too. They'll have second batch. We still have chance!!!

Did they say when they'd give out the second batch decisions ?

Edited by Dancer Girl

Great thx for ur info!

Hi Laurence,

I guess I share a similar situation with you since i intend to enter private sectors as well... I am wavering over attending SIPA or a relatively not good b school. 

I was told that Wagner is better known for its concentration in nonprofit (correct me if I were wrong). And Columbia's reputation and network are better I think.

Surprisingly I am still able to open the link... Why don't u guys go to SIPA home page and navigate to application portal from there (Under ADMISSIONS tab > Apply now > Apply for Fall 2014> Returning users..)

@ lingdiankuangtu

I got the mail from sipa_admission@columbia.edu..

Thank you, Legacy. Still nothing new. Did you send email to them and they replied, or they simply sent your result? 

Thank you, Legacy. Still nothing new. Did you send email to them and they replied, or they simply sent your result? 

They just send me the result.. I didn't contact them..

Yes i will be joining SIPA. Though i am still waiting on results from LSE, I am a bit apprehensive about job opportunities in Europe in general. Looking at the previous years statistics it looks like sipa students have had their share in private sector too. But i have heard that career service cell at SIPA sucks, so it boils down to your efforts and opportunities. And in that case being in NYC will help..

Looking forward to meet u too ..

Hope you'll get a satisfying result from LSE! I do love that school and some of my friends got their admission this year. Anyway, either is a good choice.

Hi Laurence,

I guess I share a similar situation with you since i intend to enter private sectors as well... I am wavering over attending SIPA or a relatively not good b school. 

I was told that Wagner is better known for its concentration in nonprofit (correct me if I were wrong). And Columbia's reputation and network are better I think.

Thx Timothy!

You r quite right about Wagner. I joined their webinar last week and they do shared this view. Anyway, I prefer SIPA.

Are u admitted to MIA or MPA?? Hope we'll meet there~

Hey everyone,

Congrats to all are admitted, and I hope everyone else would have the opportunity to go their dream school :) I am admitted for MIA with some funding, and currently trying to make a decision between SIPA v. SFS v. TUFTS MALD. 

Have you made up your minds? How many of you will be at the Open House? I am still trying to arrange a trip to all these schools, but if I cannot make it could you please share your experiences at the Open House?

Thx Timothy!

You r quite right about Wagner. I joined their webinar last week and they do shared this view. Anyway, I prefer SIPA.

Are u admitted to MIA or MPA?? Hope we'll meet there~

You are welcome. I am admitted to SIPA MPA. But I am still not sure whether I should attend SIPA or a relatively not that good b school since my concentration is finance and economics and I plan to go to private sectors after graduation. The b schools I am admitted to are either in poor location or not ranked high... Probably SIPA is more attractive to me. Hope to see you there!

You are welcome. I am admitted to SIPA MPA. But I am still not sure whether I should attend SIPA or a relatively not that good b school since my concentration is finance and economics and I plan to go to private sectors after graduation. The b schools I am admitted to are either in poor location or not ranked high... Probably SIPA is more attractive to me. Hope to see you there!

MSF is definitely a good choice for you, not many top schools hold that program though. And location is indeed somethin that matters for finance oriented ones. Tough situation, man...