SIPA

ийнна

@are we there yet? Thanks a lot for your answers. Were really enlightening in many sense.

I've asked about the ID number to other fellas because there are simply no numbers in the letter exept those ones for TOEFL scores, some monetary information or such... Can it be because the provisional admittion thing? I mean, the letter says that international applicants who have TOEFL scores less than 110 or IELTS scores less than 7.5 were provisionally admitted and should complete an intensive summer English course before enrollement. Btw, has anybody received such a letter, or am I the only international applicant with a TOEFL score of below 110? :)

I've already been accepted to Ford and Sanford. And now, to SIPA. Three different schools and cities with various pros and cons. :wacko:  The decision will be a tough one  :huh:

I'm curious to know whether anyone has insights regarding SIPA's one-year program in economic policy management (PEPM). It appears that the program is for mid-career professionals but I wonder what the students age range and experience level are. How reputable is the program? Does the SIPA community treat and perceive those students the same way it does the MIA and MPA student? I appreciate any insights.

@are we there yet? Thanks a lot for your answers. Were really enlightening in many sense.

I've asked about the ID number to other fellas because there are simply no numbers in the letter exept those ones for TOEFL scores, some monetary information or such... Can it be because the provisional admittion thing? I mean, the letter says that international applicants who have TOEFL scores less than 110 or IELTS scores less than 7.5 were provisionally admitted and should complete an intensive summer English course before enrollement. Btw, has anybody received such a letter, or am I the only international applicant with a TOEFL score of below 110? :)

I've already been accepted to Ford and Sanford. And now, to SIPA. Three different schools and cities with various pros and cons. :wacko:  The decision will be a tough one  :huh:

No worries, I got the same provisional acceptance though my toefl was 108 -only two grades lower than 110!

rather than attending the course and spend 4,000 dollars and july in New York, I will re-take toefl in case I decide to go with SIPA.

@ are we there yet : I read a post of yours above in which you advised that if SAIS IDEV is offering you money one should take it given you are holding a zero money offer from SIPA. 

I am in a situation in which I have to decide between MA IDEV (SAIS) and MPA (SIPA) both with zero funding.You emphasized on the Quant heavy aspect of SAIS IDEV; Is SIPA MPA not as rigorous as SAIS IDEV? Though I am pretty comfortable with quant work ,given I have a bachelors and masters in economics, I am worried that a less rigorous program might hurt my prospects in the job market.  I was earlier working in investment banking , and I don't want to go back to it. After graduation, I want to work in international development through multilateral route or development consulting. 

Please advise on how to choose between the two programs. 

@ are we there yet : I read a post of yours above in which you advised that if SAIS IDEV is offering you money one should take it given you are holding a zero money offer from SIPA. 

I am in a situation in which I have to decide between MA IDEV (SAIS) and MPA (SIPA) both with zero funding.You emphasized on the Quant heavy aspect of SAIS IDEV; Is SIPA MPA not as rigorous as SAIS IDEV? Though I am pretty comfortable with quant work ,given I have a bachelors and masters in economics, I am worried that a less rigorous program might hurt my prospects in the job market.  I was earlier working in investment banking , and I don't want to go back to it. After graduation, I want to work in international development through multilateral route or development consulting. 

Please advise on how to choose between the two programs. 

I was accepted to both schools, although for the MA and MIA in SAIS and SIPA respectively. I am not an expert on the IDEV programs (so take this with a grain of salt) but from everything I've researched and heard through forums, current students and school literature seems to suggest that SAIS is more or less known as the "quantitative leader". This is just a sense that I get and it isn't based on any hard evidence. For what it's worth, it seems that SAIS does a better job of preparing students for those classes as well by offering an in-depth online course prior to pre-term and actual econ classes during pre-term. I think SIPA does something similar but it isn't as well advertised or explained. Hope that helps and good luck with your decision. 

@ are we there yet

Thanks for offering the info here. It's been really helpful!

I have a few questions as well.

1. SIPA is known for its quant and math heavy curricular. Although I'm admitted, I gotta say I've been away from math for at least 6 years since my graduation from high school. I know doing well in quant is essential in getting a job, but I m worried I can't catch up. Is there any math camp or intro level Econ classes I can find at SIPA? (They admitted me despite my lack of Econ background. I m both thrilled and worried!)

2. What about the language classes? Are they popular with the SIPA student body? I'm already speaking two languages but I want to start another, from the beginning. Would you suggest me to take intro level classes before attending or just go straight to SIPA and take the non credit courses in the first semester?

Thanks again ;-).

1. You are like me.  Don't worry half the class is like us too :)

Unless you are interested in APEA or some levels of EPD you can take "intermediate" level econ and quant to pass requirements.  Intermediate Econ will only cover single variable calculus whereas Advanced Econ will consider multivariable.  It is difficult for me still but I manage.  

There is a math camp during orientation to review the basics.  At the end of math camp you take a proficiency exam (does not affect grade).  The results determine your placement in a 4 week math class (no credit).  There are three levels that vary in speed, with 1 being the slowest and 3 being the fastest in terms of reviewing the material (algebra, exponents, and calculus-single variable for Levels 1 and 2 and multi for Level 3)

2.  You are required to demonstrate language proficiency (Intermediate 2 in US terms) before you graduate.  There are 3 ways to do so.

I.  Pass a proficiency exam that is administered at the beginning of the fall or spring semester.  If you fail you must do #2

II. Earn a B+ in an Intermediate II class offered on campus

III. Forgive me for being politically incorrect, but I'm assuming you speak Chinese.  If you attended a university in China, for example, that was English medium and your high school was in Chinese the language requirement is waived if you prove that was the case.  If both were English medium, then I think you can take the Chinese exam

If you want to start a new language from scratch you MUST start in the first semester.  Your path will be Intro 1 (1st semester), Intro 2 (2nd), Intermediate 1, (3rd), and finally Intermediate 2 (4th and final semester and the requirement).  There are some drawbacks (language classes usually meet very early or very late so your schedule is skewed, Intro 1-2, and Intermediate 1 will not count for GPA calculation, but Intermediate 2 will be an elective) but these are so minor and there are people who are bearing the challenge and doing so admirably.

Thanks for the info 'are we there yet'

1. Pre-requisite : This one is very similar to what EliZhang asked. I am from engineering background and am pretty ok with quant. My statistics basics are also good but econ is pretty weak as i have never taken an econ class. Would u a advice to take some Statistics and econ classes before joining or is first  year classes sufficient enough to pick it up?

2. How are the internship opportunities at the end of first year?

3. How many students were offered Exchange program with GPPN schools? what do u personally feel as the pros and cons for the exchange program?

Thanks in advance...

1. See earlier response to EliZhang.

2. Lots of opportunities are available. Firms like working with us.  It gets competitive, however, considering that your main competition especially in NYC will be your friends and classmates.

3. No clue about the exchange statistics, I've met folks from Sciences Po mostly and they seem to enjoy it.

Edited by are we there yet?

For those of you who received a CUID, where did you find that number? I'm especially curious if you say it's linked to a funding offer because I was under the impression I didn't get any but maybe it's a maze I have to navigate (probably just wishful thinking but maybe)!

@ martinet25

SIPA can have a quant heavy approach if you want it to be, but it is just more flexible compared to SAIS.  I will not be pursuing a quant-related career so I can get by just fine with two semesters but at SAIS I would have to take quant every semester.  Like what I and tsmurf said earlier SAIS is probably #1 for quant analysis so if that is your intended path, then I don't see why you would choose otherwise.

It will be very expensive regardless and you are going to enjoy both programs, but SAIS seems like a better fit to me in the 45 seconds since I've met you :)

For those of you who received a CUID, where did you find that number? I'm especially curious if you say it's linked to a funding offer because I was under the impression I didn't get any but maybe it's a maze I have to navigate (probably just wishful thinking but maybe)!

Should be on top of the acceptance letter by your name/address

Should be on top of the acceptance letter by your name/address

Wait.. i am getting confused here.. Is the acceptance letter same as the update on the application page?? If thats the case i don't have any address or number on that letter. But i can see application reference number as soon as i log in... If the update and acceptance letter are different, where can i find the acceptance letter?

Hey everyone,

I'm a current first year at SIPA and love it here. I can try to answer questions and will probably meet a few of you during Admitted Students Day in April.

To the guy above me, the # you receive in your acceptance letter is your CUID, which you use to log into your financial aid portal.

Once you pay your deposit, you will receive your UNI which is your username for email

Hi, @are we there yet?

I'm a SIPA reject but got into the GSAPP...

I plan to study urban related issues but also want to take advantage of cross registration option btw Columbia schools (if i go for GSAPP that is), b/c there are many SIPA courses that interest me that are open to cross registration

I was wondering how prevalent cross registering btw schools is? do u have any personal exp w cross registration?

And how easy is it to do it? can non-SIPA students get spots in SIPA courses with a fair chance?

Thanks in advance!

Got in the MPA-DP. Well there is not a word about funding in the letter. Does that mean I got nothing? WIll there be more opportunities?

I will appreciate any ideassss plzzzzzzzzzzzz

My SIPA letter said I rec'd a Dean's Service Scholarship yet made no mention of $; rather, on-campus housing.  Hopefully, the use of 'scholarship' is literal and some $ follows. Otherwise, not sure I can swing it. Are people finding their financial info in places other than their acceptance letter? Thanks, all!

I was accepted to the MIA program and received a Dean's Leadership Scholarship (this was all in the acceptance letter): "In recognition of your outstanding application and achievements, you have been awarded the Dean’s Leadership Scholarship. As a recipient of the Dean’s Leadership Scholarship, you will receive $10,000 to be used toward your 2014-2015 cost of attendance at SIPA; the total amount will be divided equally between the fall and spring semesters. This is a one year non-renewable award. In addition, you will be guaranteed a coveted SIPA assistantship (service that is valued at a minimum of $10,500) for one semester in your second year of study at SIPA if you maintain a GPA of 3.4 and full-time enrollment at SIPA. In order to secure the assistantship, you would be required to apply and accept the assistantship offer in April 2015. Further information on the assistantship will be provided to you in your fall semester."

So I think if there is $$ involved for scholarships, the admissions letter would state so explicitly, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Edited by azuljen88

Anyone is still waiting for admission decision?

Alloy, I am still waiting for admission decision. From this forum I see that generally MIA and MPA-DP applicants are sharing info about accepence.

Anyway I guess Friday will be the last day for the first round.

Afterward there will be additional evaluations for "waitlisters".

When we consider the people who give more value to SAIS rather that SIPA...or more value scholarship to 100k tuition, I hope there will be some chance for waitlisters.

Accepted:  SIPA PEPM,

Waitlisted: Michigan MPP, UPennn MPA

Rejected: Duke MPP

Hi, @are we there yet?

I was wondering how prevalent cross registering btw schools is? do u have any personal exp w cross registration?

And how easy is it to do it? can non-SIPA students get spots in SIPA courses with a fair chance?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup from the SIPA side (taken classes at the Law School, and will look to Journalism next year probably) we have to get professor permission (usually via email is sufficient), fill out a form for SIPA student services, and sometimes get confirmation from the other school's registrar. 

Most professors are welcoming but obviously they will protect registration for "in-house" students if the class is popular and close off cross-registration (even if it is listed as otherwise).  The best advice is to get approval as soon as registration opens.

Edited by are we there yet?

I was accepted to the MIA program and received a Dean's Leadership Scholarship (this was all in the acceptance letter): "In recognition of your outstanding application and achievements, you have been awarded the Dean’s Leadership Scholarship. As a recipient of the Dean’s Leadership Scholarship, you will receive $10,000 to be used toward your 2014-2015 cost of attendance at SIPA; the total amount will be divided equally between the fall and spring semesters. This is a one year non-renewable award. In addition, you will be guaranteed a coveted SIPA assistantship (service that is valued at a minimum of $10,500) for one semester in your second year of study at SIPA if you maintain a GPA of 3.4 and full-time enrollment at SIPA. In order to secure the assistantship, you would be required to apply and accept the assistantship offer in April 2015. Further information on the assistantship will be provided to you in your fall semester."

So I think if there is $$ involved for scholarships, the admissions letter would state so explicitly, but hopefully I'm wrong!

If so, it is quite doubtful that Columbia  is in the cards for me. What a shame! Definitely where I wanted to be.  Just too much $. 

I was waitlisted for the MPA-DP program. Does anyone have any insights on what the chances are for getting off the waitlist for the MPA-DP program? I am leaning towards SAIS right now (with a regional focus), but I feel like the MPA-DP program is a better fit for my interests. 

Yup from the SIPA side (taken classes at the Law School, and will look to Journalism next year probably) we have to get professor permission (usually via email is sufficient), fill out a form for SIPA student services, and sometimes get confirmation from the other school's registrar. 

Most professors are welcoming but obviously they will protect registration for "in-house" students if the class is popular and close off cross-registration (even if it is listed as otherwise).  The best advice is to get approval as soon as registration opens.

Thanks so much!

As I really want to the opportunity to benefit from GSAPP's affliation with SIPA and Earth Institute, that's really great to know!

Most of the courses I'm interested--based on past enrollment--seem to be very niche electives with low enrollemnt, so hopefully I don't think I'll be intruding into SIPA students' space  ;)

Edited by dpgu800

I got admitted to SIPA MPA... but I am wavering, still not sure whether to step in b-school to study finance or to join schools like SIPA to learn something about finance and economic policy. SIPA's location and Columbia's reputation are so great...

Edited by timothy_backup

I got admitted to SIPA MPA... but I am wavering, still not sure whether to step in b-school to study finance or to join schools like SIPA to learn something about finance and economic policy. SIPA's location and Columbia's reputation are so great...

Do not lose time and money with a overrate program like SIPA. go to en business scholl if you wanna master finance

Hi all, was hoping to get a current student's take on the language requirement at SIPA. Assuming I am at a basic level, how difficult is it to meet the language requirement by graduation? How are the language classes and level of instruction? Is it unrealistic to take language classes every semester? Any comments or insights from the group would be very much appreciated. Thanks!