getting accepted over the phone?

Health

hey, I am not sure if this is an appropriate place for this question, but I heard that some people get their acceptance over the phone. If that happens who is it usually? your POI? secretary? Program director? when I checked the result page, I saw some got accepted over the phone last friday (which is when admissions committee met), but I have not heard anything back yet... So, i wasn't sure if it was a departmental thing they called everyone or if it's just a professor who's so interested in that student wanted to tell him/her asap.

Two of the acceptances I received were phone calls, one from the director of the program, and one from my POI (I got official letters within a week or so from the phone call).  When they told me the good news, I let them know I was really excited and thanked them very much for taking their time to call me.  They talked most of the time during the call, and if you have any lingering questions, I think it is okay to ask them.  They pretty much answered all my questions on the phone before I could ask them (general funding overview, visit day/weekend info), so I just asked them when I would get an official letter.  Neither of the professors asked if I was going to attend, which was nice.  If they do ask that, and you are not ready to answer them, I would say that you are still waiting to hear from other schools and would let them know as soon as possible.  Hope this helps!

I was phoned by the Admissions Chair. He told me my official acceptance would follow two days later via email and told me that they requested I don't accept or decline for just over a week. They want to be sure that you've thought about it first.

I had planned that if they asked for an answer that I would tell them I needed to speak with my SO and would let them know as soon as possible.

I received an acceptance over the phone from my POI. He did most of the talking. He didn't ask me to commit, and in fact basically told me not to yet, but he did try to get a feel for my level of interest and enthusiasm. I conveyed that enthusiasm, and we talked a bit about funding and research. He also told me that, no matter what, I'm in! I think he's used to students freaking out and second-guessing. :) Didn't receive the official letter until a month later, so I'm reeeeally glad he said that!

I was accepted over the phone as well. The program director called, which I thought was nice. He talked for a little bit about my application and the program. He did ask "if I applied to other programs". Obviously that question is kind of silly seeing as almost everyone must have. I'm sure he was just trying to get a feel for my level of interest. I told him that I was very pleased to be admitted and still interested in the program. I then said that I want to visit all the departments/ campuses before making a final decision. I applied for masters programs, so that line probably wont work as well for PhD candidates who were interviewed.

I'd just be nice, enthusiastic, and vague if you aren’t ready to commit either way. I don't think anyone will really expect you to.

Oh gosh, I hope I don't get any phone calls! I'm socially inept on the phone - and I never answer it anyway for that reason so will most likely miss the call! Email me instead, please :P

Program is calling me Monday. I'm absolutely terrible on the phone, but I couldn't really say, "how about we talk via email, and you pretend you don't have a meat cleaver ready for my academic career." Plus it's early in the morning, when I'm partially retarded, so this is going to be interesting, haha.

I also can't say, "how about we all wear blindfolds once I get there..." as much as I would like exactly that to occur. Anxiety sucks.

Edited by sansao

thanks for answering my question. It helps.. and now makes me even less hopeful, b/c if it were the program chair/director calling... they would have called all accepted students, instead of one or two... Someone apparently received a phone call from my top choice, and I have not yet heard back from them in any capacity. Also, I know it's their second round of the meeting/accepting students... I guess I should give up now :(

I got a phone call from the admissions director of one of my programs last week and, from what I could tell based on the way she was asking questions, she wanted to know what kind of schools she was in competition with and what kind of funding they were going to provide, so her program could make a competitive offer.

I recieved a call form a POI shortly (minutes, frighteningly) after recieving an email acceptance letter, he basically wanted to brag about the program and how well I would fit, as well as gauge my interest, though the call was quite brief, and I felt like a doofus because I was stuck in a campus dining hall trying to hear and be heard.

Someone apparently received a phone call from my top choice, and I have not yet heard back from them in any capacity. Also, I know it's their second round of the meeting/accepting students... I guess I should give up now :(

As far as not having heard back yet, or expecting a call from a POI, every person is different. From my understanding, the decision process is very busy early on, as the early rounds of acceptances and rejections go out and towards the end, when they try to balance their class based on the yield from the early round acceptances. There usually is no department-wide ranking, and since PI's can usually only afford one student a year, it would be tougher emotionally to get an accpetance but know there's not going to be funding for you. However, should the person who has heard decline, you seem like a shoe in for the spot...

Just be patient, its not over till its over, thats what I keep telling myself. Being waitlisted is better than being rejected imho...

I interviewed, got accepted same day over the phone. They sent the offer in writing about a week after. Always wait for the official statement in writing.

I received a phone call yesterday from the program director saying I have been accepted. That was followed by an email from her regarding the acceptance to the program & scholarship information, and today I received the official acceptance from the graduate school itself.