Fall 2014 applicants??

Mikers, I slightly hate you for having the luck to be able to be greedy and not desperately hoping for 1 acceptance.

I know, and I realize that it sounds terrible when I say it out loud. But hot damn who doesn't want an acceptance from Harvard?

Talk to me about this "implied rejection" concept. If I'm reading the signs correctly (mind the bowl of chicken parts), I have implied rejections from Illinois and Irvine. Is the criteria as simple as having seen acceptances from the school appear in the results search but not in one's inbox?

Talk to me about this "implied rejection" concept. If I'm reading the signs correctly (mind the bowl of chicken parts), I have implied rejections from Illinois and Irvine. Is the criteria as simple as having seen acceptances from the school appear in the results search but not in one's inbox?

Implied rejections primarily come from looking at schools historical reporting patterns (when they send out rejections, how many days they report, etc.). GradCafe goes back quite a few years, so you can pick up on the ways that schools typically notify and, as such, kind of figure out if you are in or out.

That being said, Oregon broke their pattern this year; typically they notify rejections first and then acceptances. This year, they are apparently doing the opposite. 

EDIT: spelling error

Edited by Kamisha

FYI to Irvine applicants: “...we have not concluded our recruitment process at this time.” -Malcolm Bourne 

We maybe still have a shot :)

(I had emailed a few days ago for confirmation of my rejection). 

Edited by Kamisha

FYI to Irvine applicants: “...we have not concluded our recruitment process at this time.” -Malcolm Bourne 

We maybe still have a shot :)

(I had emailed a few days ago for confirmation of my rejection). 

Thanks for the info, Kamisha - and for the Irvine update; that's great. Good luck!

Congrats to all today's admits :-)

The acceptance e-mail I received was CC'd to a POI I mentioned in my SOP...that's a bit of a confidence booster :) I'll expect I'll have an implied rejection from Harvard, but I was expecting that anyway. If anyone remembers that "projected results game" thread from a while back, I'm actually pretty close to my predictions so far.

I'm on the fence. I love Oregon, but I have some other considerations that make CA more optimal, location-wise. And there's the money, which shouldn't matter, but it does. And I really, really, really want to work with a professor at ASU. I feel like by the time I weigh everything out, the only reason to prefer Oregon would be if there is something drastically wrong with all the other programs upon closer inspection, which seems unlikely. I'm waiting to hear back from my undergrad mentor about her PhD experience at Oregon; unless she talks me out of it, I am likely to decline their offer without springing for the visit.

That is completely understandable. Oregon is my only acceptance, so far, which means I'm much more inclined to love it ;)

That is completely understandable. Oregon is my only acceptance, so far, which means I'm much more inclined to love it ;)

I hear you! I applied to PhD programs out of undergrad, and got 6/6 rejections. I was not expecting to have choices in front of me; I didn't even allow my mind to entertain the possibility, so I'm completely unprepared. It's surreal.

Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Also: in 2012, there were Harvard acceptances on 3 days. 1 via phone in the 17th, a few on the 24th, and one on the 25th. There is still hope guys!! Also I wish they'd call over email....

OMG!!! Kamisha did you get in? And they JUST posted it!!! Maybe there is hope??? I didn't get a call yet but I am hoping for one.

I didn’t apply to Virginia :) I was just pointing out that all of you who have been waiting in agony might be getting good news soon! I hope you get in! :)

wait listed at cornell and would LOVE to go. should anyone with an admission offer not be feeling it, it would mean the world to me to see that "maybe" turn into a "yeahhh". congrats to everyone and i get that deciding between programs is hard. just wanted to put some vibes out there.