Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

Haha sadly, I know this. This is my second time applying. Finishing up my MA and thesis work so much to keep me busy, but it's still always on my mind. Just the constantly wondering when is annoying. I wish all schools had to report on one day! Then no waiting and worrying because then you'd know when they'd come!

Edited by catsandscarves

My first rejection, from a school I really wanted to go to, came at 10AM one morning and it totally devastated me.  And 2 hours later, while I was at a total low, is when my Princeton acceptance came.  Ups and downs are the nature of the thing.

Valentine's Day notifications seem to be common. A friend of mine opened his email on Valentine's Day morning to find two rejections. Major bummer. He was discussing them late at night on the phone with one of his classmates, and there was this insistent "call waiting" notification. He was quite annoyed at who was trying him so late... and then, when he finally took the call, it turned out to be one of the schools he'd applied to, calling to congratulate him. (He was living in Asia, so with the time difference, that was during their work day.) 

A question to perhaps distract us from waiting a bit: anyone who has done interviews or is preparing for them have any thoughts about what are good questions to ask POIs/interviewers in that context? Say you've read the website and graduate handbook 50 times, you know how the program is structured, have a good idea of its job placement, reputation, etc. I don't know about others, but I've at least once found myself at a loss about what a good question would be that isn't obvious and provokes an actually informative answer. Just thought I'd throw it out there, if anyone has advice.

Edited by levoyous

@levoyous, questions about grad student life can actually be really helpful, in my experience, and it probably doesn't hurt to show you are considering the more practical aspects of attending their school. For example, where do most students live, work, spend their summers, etc. Additionally, I've tended to ask about what resources the programs offer for language study, and what collections at the library would be particularly promising for my interests. Hope that helps, thanks for the distraction ;) 

One from OSU! I guess this means I am rejected though since I don't have an update to my status.  :( Congrats to the poster!!

Same, though perhaps they don't update all of the applications at the same time? I'm holding out hope.

If you have applied to U of Toronto for History, you may very well get to hear from them by mid-Feb. At least a friend of mine did when they had applied last year.

That's good to know! They warned me about landing up on the waiting list and hearing late.

Hoping those of you waiting for OSU get news.

This morning, I checked the Grad Cafe results page on my iPhone. I saw that some people were notified of their acceptances to the Ohio State. I rushed to my laptop, opened up the relevant application page, and it still says "pending." .... Bummer. But at least, they send out acceptances in two waves.

But are we sure that they do acceptances in 2 waves or is this just speculation? 

Beyond what's been posted, I haven't heard anything one way or the other; but it's likely.  I mean, last year people were posting acceptances for OSU through Weds of next week.  It looks like what we might call "the second round" came on the 28th last year.

Beyond what's been posted, I haven't heard anything one way or the other; but it's likely.  I mean, last year people were posting acceptances for OSU through Weds of next week.  It looks like what we might call "the second round" came on the 28th last year.

The political science DGS posts in the political science section periodically. Although they updated the website on their end to indicate admits, apparently the system itself is only announcing a few at a time. I don't know if that's happening for all programs or just political science, but in any case I figured it's worth sharing.

A question to perhaps distract us from waiting a bit: anyone who has done interviews or is preparing for them have any thoughts about what are good questions to ask POIs/interviewers in that context? Say you've read the website and graduate handbook 50 times, you know how the program is structured, have a good idea of its job placement, reputation, etc. I don't know about others, but I've at least once found myself at a loss about what a good question would be that isn't obvious and provokes an actually informative answer. Just thought I'd throw it out there, if anyone has advice.

I remember I had a little notepad to write down questions and then choose when to ask. I don't remember all of them but I do recall asking what happens next, which is enlightening. My interview was VERY intellectual, they asked about how I thought the work of X had influence my work, or how I understood Y since I mentioned it several times in my writing sample. After being asked those kinds of questions, I was exhausted! 

What I can say is the following: do not ask questions you can find in the website, in the handbook, or which another grad student can answer. I cannot stress this enough. 

All the best for everyone!!!

AP