Bags for Men

XYZMan

Does anyone have bag recommendations?  I have a briefcase, but I think I want a backpack in case I end up biking around -- not to mention that I'll need space to lug around a bunch of books.

That said, I also don't want to look like an undergraduate/schmuck, so I'd like something semi-professional looking.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It all depends on your style. My current bag is the fūl "Wild Thing" messenger bag. It meshes pretty well with the "casual but not sloppy" vibe that permeates most biology departments that I've been to. I like it quite a bit; it's sturdy, waterproof, and roomy without being so large that it's unwieldy. Fūl also makes traditional backpacks, some of which I think look nice but which might look a little too undergradish for your tastes. Personally, I find most backpacks to look a little undergradish (or high schoolish), but that's just my opinion.

http://ful.com/productdisplay.cfm?id=Backpacks

Edited by zabius

I have a lot of bags. 

But primarily, I use two- a Chrome Messenger Bag, and a nice soft-sided briefcase/shoulder bag. 

I use the messenger bag when I'm biking, and the other when I'm not. 

I do have a few backpacks, but I generally prefer my Chrome bag, the way it sits, and the balance. Most backpacks sit too far out from my back for me. 

In my opinion, who gives a crap about looking like an "undergraduate/schmuck" because of your bag... I really doubt that anyone actually cares what you use to carry your stuff in, so you shouldn't either. If a backpack is the most efficient for you, then use a dang backpack! ... That's what I'm planning on doing

In my opinion, who gives a crap about looking like an "undergraduate/schmuck" because of your bag... I really doubt that anyone actually cares what you use to carry your stuff in, so you shouldn't either. If a backpack is the most efficient for you, then use a dang backpack! ... That's what I'm planning on doing

Thank you for your valuable and unsolicited opinion on what I should and shouldn't care about.

Do you need to carry around a laptop? 

Yes, I'll be carrying a laptop.  But I plan to get a Macbook Air so it won't be too cumbersome.

I have a lot of bags. 

But primarily, I use two- a Chrome Messenger Bag, and a nice soft-sided briefcase/shoulder bag. 

I use the messenger bag when I'm biking, and the other when I'm not. 

I do have a few backpacks, but I generally prefer my Chrome bag, the way it sits, and the balance. Most backpacks sit too far out from my back for me. 

Where did you get your briefcase/shoulder bag?

I've been thinking of getting a bag from http://www.seagullbags.com/ You can customize the color of everything (even the thread). My buddy has one and says they are bombproof. They are pricey but I carry my bag everywhere and am thinking of it as an investment. Everyone has a Timbuk2 or Chrome these days...

Thank you for your valuable and unsolicited opinion on what I should and shouldn't care about.

to be fair, you did start a thread asking for other peoples' recommendations about bags. i would say recommendations are quite intertwined with opinions- don't you agree?

although i'm sticking with my exceedingly "undergrad/schmuck" burton skateboard bag -- thanks to a tight budget and a longboard -- i've heard good things about seagull bags, too. also, cole haan makes really handsome, long-lasting leather messenger bags, so if you're willing to scour outlets, you might be able to find one at a good price, as long as you don't mind the material's upkeep needs (e.g., weatherproofing). 

I agree that messenger bags are the most stylish-without-trying-too-hard unisex style. I suggest looking around in vintage stores for a nice leather one, and waterproofing it with waterproofing spray. I think a simple, not overdesigned canvas backpack could be nice too (no offense to pears's Burton logos), a la this one (if you don't need to carry much stuff): https://baggu.com/shop/canvasbackpack/navy 

I agree that messenger bags are the most stylish-without-trying-too-hard unisex style. I suggest looking around in vintage stores for a nice leather one, and waterproofing it with waterproofing spray. I think a simple, not overdesigned canvas backpack could be nice too (no offense to pears's Burton logos), a la this one (if you don't need to carry much stuff): https://baggu.com/shop/canvasbackpack/navy%C3%82%C2%A0'>https://baggu.com/shop/canvasbackpack/navy   
That's actually a really good idea. I'd consider (if possible) waterproofing it even if it's not leather... especially if you're planning on keeping a laptop in it. Also, one lesson I learned the hard way, is to keep a drain for fluids in it (small opening or something). It sucks when your bottled beverage (or in my case, first juice, and another year, sunblock) opens and soaks everything you own. It's also a lot easier to clean afterwards if you can flush through it.

I have two chrome bags and I can't recommend them enough in terms of reliability ( I bike a lot too).  I also have a leather messenger for when I teach.  I am only a few years older than my students so I get the wanting to look more professional.  Chrome bags are water proof.  I have the basic metro (aka messenger) which I have had for 7 years, and it is still in great condition.  I also have a chrome backpack/lap top bag that I recently got, just wanted something new and a little bigger, which so far I love also.  Chrome bags are a little pricey (80-250$, although both of the one i have were about 100$ from sales,etc.)  but they will last you a long time, so it depends on what you want.  They are the best bags/backpacks I have ever had.  Very durable construction.  Sorry if I sound like a preacher for a backpack.

Edited by Riotbeard

Another option, for those of us on a more modest budget, is to check out army/navy surplus stores. I snagged a really great-looking waterproofed canvas backpack with a heavy-duty plastic interior liner for $25. It's not as professional as a briefcase, sure, but it'll keep my stuff dry--and look awesome doing it--until I can afford something more grownup.

FYI: The Clymb has a bunch of nice bags today, including some from chrome and timbuk2, as well as some more snazzy ones (in particular, a canvas backpack and some professional looking messenger bags). not the nicest or most fashionable, but they're nice enough, and most are floating around the 40% off range. 

also, +1 to khyleth: you can get some fantastic stuff at military surplus stores. i found and old gasmask bag, tweaked it a bit, and turned it into a funky purse. if you're diligent and creative, you can find some gems.