Relocation Assistant For New Grad

sunscapee

So now that you got accepted, you got fully funded, what about relocation assistant ? Moving is expensive in general and not to mention across multiple state over 500+ miles when you have tons of crap that you have collected over the years when you thought you weren't going to grad school.  Do most department help (finacially) for grad student to relocate?  If so, what is the typical amount??  Thanks lots.

So now that you got accepted, you got fully funded, what about relocation assistant ? Moving is expensive in general and not to mention across multiple state over 500+ miles when you have tons of crap that you have collected over the years when you thought you weren't going to grad school.  Do most department help (finacially) for grad student to relocate?  If so, what is the typical amount??  Thanks lots.

Accepted PhD students could receive a one-time funding relocation incentive, but that depends on the department and your location.

Some numbers I heard from other graduate students are: 900 to 1500 dollars. But most of these graduate students are international students.

Perhaps you could send a polite email to your program's graduate program, it doesn't harm to ask.

Edited by compiler_guy

Thanxx guys! your insighful information is very much appreciated.  I just emailed the director of graduate admission for my program.  Hopefully there is some funding. Otherwise I would probably have to eat ramen nooodley doo for the rest of July.  My undergrad student loan is dragging me down. Anyone know if I can like pend payment for the duration of my grad education?  I suppose even if I don't have to pay my loan for the duration of my grad education, the compounding interest would accumilate throughout those years.  I suppose its ramen noodley doo either way.  Any suggestion?

Thanxx guys! your insighful information is very much appreciated.  I just emailed the director of graduate admission for my program.  Hopefully there is some funding. Otherwise I would probably have to eat ramen nooodley doo for the rest of July.  My undergrad student loan is dragging me down. Anyone know if I can like pend payment for the duration of my grad education?  I suppose even if I don't have to pay my loan for the duration of my grad education, the compounding interest would accumilate throughout those years.  I suppose its ramen noodley doo either way.  Any suggestion?

With your loans, it depends what sort you have.  All of my loans are Stafford, half subsidized and half not.  I consolidated them about a year ago to make repayment simpler.  I will be starting grad school in the fall, so I called my loan account and they explained that I can defer my loans while enrolled as a full-time student.  The subsidized loans would stop accruing interest, while the unsubsidized would keep accruing interest but would not have any required payments. Additionally, and most importantly you can also make payments on the interest that's building up, or apply what you'd like to the principal, without impacting the deferment.  Not sure how private loans would work if you have those, but I doubt they'd be as forgiving.

• 3 weeks later...

This won't be very useful for your immediate finances, but remember that there are tax exemptions for moving for a job, and I think there are ways to make that count for grad school. So if you pay for your move, save ALL your receipts, and Uncle Sam will pay you back next April!

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

Edited by msmith1990