Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

It has been pretty quiet here the past a few days. Everyone clams down? ;)

Seems like MIT‘s sending out their notifications. Maybe bring up more discussions haha!

Edited by longforit

Haha got the hunch that there will be no rejection school on your list!  Congrats and hope you get off the list ;)

Thanks =)

Well, I'm expecting a rejection from UCLA at the very least. 

wow, congrats!!!

meanwhile my flight got cancelled because of the storm so I'm going to miss an open house... let me hide under my blankets for a while... :(

Thank you!

Where's the open house you're going to miss? It's not the one at Maryland, is it (I think theirs is on February 20-21)?

Edited by onzeheures30

beccamayworth    did you get accepted into Brown? 

I didn't apply there ...but I think I might do that for my PhD in the near future. So if you don't mind..can you tell me more about your experience with their admission process? Do they have cut offs? Or do they view the application holistically? 

What about the interview?  How many pages was your writing sample?  

Do you think Maryland program is more competitive?   

Sorry so many questions...I think we share the same taste in schools   ^_^  except I wouldn't apply to Stanford or UNC.

It's Brown! 

leesies 

me too.. I thought Oregon was my safety school. Do you know how many students the professors usually take?  I mean if some applicants have the same interests as the professors how many would they  be able to take?  

I'm trying to figure out if there was zero match in interests or they just wouldn't want to take more than 2 for each professors.

Edited by umniah2013

beccamayworth    did you get accepted into Brown? 

I didn't apply there ...but I think I might do that for my PhD in the near future. So if you don't mind..can you tell me more about your experience with their admission process? Do they have cut offs? Or do they view the application holistically? 

What about the interview?  How many pages was your writing sample?  

Do you think Maryland program is more competitive?   

Sorry so many questions...I think we share the same taste in schools   ^_^  except I wouldn't apply to Stanford or UNC.

Hi umniah! 

I wasn't accepted, they're still in the decision-making process... I was invited to their interview day, but because of the snow storm, I'm afraid I don't have much to tell you about it. :(      I'm very upset because I was looking forward to visiting... but, the weather is the weather.

My writing sample was a 20-page excerpt from my MA thesis (the same I sent all schools). 

I'm not sure how to determine which program is more competitive... they're both very competitive overall, and in the end I think it depends mostly on who you'd like to work with and how your experience and interests match theirs. 

No worries - feel free to send me a private messages with any questions you'd like!   :)

leesies

me too.. I thought Oregon was my safety school. Do you know how many students the professors usually take?  I mean if some applicants have the same interests as the professors how many would they  be able to take?  

I'm trying to figure out if there was zero match in interests or they just wouldn't want to take more than 2 for each professors.

Yea, I sort of thought they were my safety school too. I don't know how many they usually take, but I did notice on the results page that for the past few years, only rejections were posted. I feel like that must mean they only take a couple students total each year. Just a hunch- maybe I'm wrong though. Good luck on your other apps!

Alas, I too was rejected from Oregon--I guess it was a busy year for them! At least their rejection letter was super-polite. 

Also rejected from UW Madison. I have 3 more apps out (UoC, UHM and NEIU). Hopefully I don't end up a hobo...

Most schools are trying to cut down on their acceptances, as they're trying to only take in students that they'll be able to fund for the whole five years... and U of Oregon is a public school, so I'd assume that (along with all other public schools) they're probably strapped for cash. :(  

@uminiah2013:  most schools admit between 5-10 students per cycle, so I think most professors would take one, maybe two students (if any, really). 

The best advice I got regarding applications (I know it's too late for that now... but maybe it will help anyone applying in the future) was to contact all my POIs before the applications period and ask them if they're looking for new students. Sometimes they're not, and if you can get their information, it might save you the trouble of applying to that particular place. Sometimes this first contact leads into an interesting conversation, exchange of emails, etc. It's always worth it. 

Very strange acceptance from UBuffalo! I started an application and then told them I was no longer interested right before paying the fee. (I had just had some unexpected expenses and they were pretty low on my list anyway.) They told me that was fine and we parted ways. Just got an email this morning saying they had accepted me into the MA program instead of the Ph.D and would take $25 bucks off the application cost if I formally applied.

Very strange, but really happy for my first acceptance!

Most schools are trying to cut down on their acceptances, as they're trying to only take in students that they'll be able to fund for the whole five years... and U of Oregon is a public school, so I'd assume that (along with all other public schools) they're probably strapped for cash. :(

@uminiah2013:  most schools admit between 5-10 students per cycle, so I think most professors would take one, maybe two students (if any, really). 

The best advice I got regarding applications (I know it's too late for that now... but maybe it will help anyone applying in the future) was to contact all my POIs before the applications period and ask them if they're looking for new students. Sometimes they're not, and if you can get their information, it might save you the trouble of applying to that particular place. Sometimes this first contact leads into an interesting conversation, exchange of emails, etc. It's always worth it. 

That's a great advice! 

I didn't contact any professor before.. and I never thought they actually reply to students!   

I hope you get admitted to your top choice school :) 

Alas, I too was rejected from Oregon--I guess it was a busy year for them! At least their rejection letter was super-polite. 

Also rejected from UW Madison. I have 3 more apps out (UoC, UHM and NEIU). Hopefully I don't end up a hobo...

I know a friend who is in NEIU and I think their acceptance rate is really high especially if you are not looking for funding. 

So I've been lurking here this whole season, but I haven't really posted since last year.

I got an e-mail today in which a professor asked me if we could Skype to "talk with you some more about your application" for 10-15 minutes. Do you guys think this is an interview? It seems too short. I'm just confused because I didn't have an interview for this program last year, and they notified everyone (accepts, waitlists, and rejections) via e-mail. Maybe they're trying something new? It's hard to know how I should prepare to talk with her.