Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey folks,

I've been lurking around for awhile and have appreciated the candor and insight offered throughout the application process - I got the good word today that I was funded for a Fogarty Fulbright in Malawi!

Best of luck to all.

Hi, everyone. Long time lurker here coming out of hiding. I'm an alternate to Colombia as an ETA. Any others? I'm trying to just proceed with life as if I haven't gotten it since it seems possible that we'll never get another message about it, and I don't want to wait for something that never comes. I took it pretty roughly.... Mostly because I was in a restaurant and then had to endure an hour subway ride home and had to hold it together. I've napped it off now though and am feeling a bit better. Still not sure what might have not been stellar except maybe the interview.... I'm bad at interviews. In any case, I was hoping there's another Colombia ETA alternate so we could keep each other in the loop about hearing anything.

Congratulations to everyone else! I will be living though you. ;)

EDIT: While we're on the topic, why would anyone really turn it down? I'm hoping that some people having already committed to grad school might up the chances this year for alternates like myself who had the Fulbright at their only plan for now.

Some people turn it down. I know some that turned down an Egypt ETA last year because she got the Soros and since she had high financial need she knew she couldn't give up the opportunity since law school isn't funded. 

I was selected to be an ETA in Colombia. Congrats to those of you who were selected!! To those who were not...remember to keep the goal just change the plan. I am so proud of all of you for getting this far.

Congrats to everyone who heard back from Colombia!

I'll be in Colombia (Medellin + Itagui, maybe some traveling along the coast to Cartagena and Baranquilla too) visiting family and traveling with friends for a good portion of June.
If anyone gets there early/ would like to meet up, that might be great.

Meanwhile, still waiting to hear from Sweden over here.

I'm sorry. :( I know how much it sucks. What country did you apply to?

I applied to Ghana.  SSA notified quite a bit of applicants yesterday.  I am not sure if everyone heard yesterday.

Congrats to everyone who heard back from Colombia!

I'll be in Colombia (Medellin + Itagui, maybe some traveling along the coast to Cartagena and Baranquilla too) visiting family and traveling with friends for a good portion of June.

If anyone gets there early/ would like to meet up, that might be great.

Meanwhile, still waiting to hear from Sweden over here.

I'm right there with you. Did you see my post from last week? Eileen O'Mallley said they are still waiting for state department approval, she hopes this week or next week. I'm curious why Sweden is taking so long compared to the other European countries...

Hello Everyone, 

I am a long time lurker. I was placed as an alternate for the Ghana-Full Research Grant. Has any other SSA applicants heard back or know of anyone that received Principal status for Ghana?

Got a NS email last night for SSA (6:37pm). The board last night and today is oddly quiet for SSA. Maybe they sent out rejections first?

I've been wondering about that. everyone on the forum keeps saying that SSA sent out notification, but I haven't seen very many people post anything.

I'm right there with you. Did you see my post from last week? Eileen O'Mallley said they are still waiting for state department approval, she hopes this week or next week. I'm curious why Sweden is taking so long compared to the other European countries...

Hiya,

No, I didn't catch that, what a bummer :/

Reaaally hope it happens soon.

What other countries are still waiting to hear back?

Hiya,

No, I didn't catch that, what a bummer :/

Reaaally hope it happens soon.

What other countries are still waiting to hear back?

From what I can tell on the spreadsheet and personal experience, lots of Europe/Eurasia doesn't know yet. Bosnia, Sweden, Ukraine, Russia, Macedonia, and others. A lot of comparatively small programs haven't heard back, it seems.

Got a NS email last night for SSA (6:37pm). The board last night and today is oddly quiet for SSA. Maybe they sent out rejections first?

Hello fellow SSA applicants,

was placed as an alternate for a Full Research Grant to South Africa. I was also surprised that the board went quiet.  I think everybody is holding their breath for MozartGirl.  I hope she got it...  and congratulations to all the others out there who did too!

Edited by jrk2115

I applied for SSA but for ETA. I haven't received any notification yet. It looks like they only sent research notifications only for SSA. Hoping for those of us who applied for ETA will hear today or soon.

From what I can tell on the spreadsheet and personal experience, lots of Europe/Eurasia doesn't know yet. Bosnia, Sweden, Ukraine, Russia, Macedonia, and others. A lot of comparatively small programs haven't heard back, it seems.

Ah right, I keep forgetting the spreadsheet exists.

Well, best of luck to everyone.

Some people turn it down. I know some that turned down an Egypt ETA last year because she got the Soros and since she had high financial need she knew she couldn't give up the opportunity since law school isn't funded. 

That's a good point. If you're up for multiple good opportunities and can only pick one.... I'm really trying to just move on as if I'm not going to get (started job hunting today to quit the soul sucking one I have now), but it's hard not to save a little space in my heart for hope. If even for just the next month or so.

In case any of the other dozen Ukraine research applicants are as neurotic as I, a bit of news:

Called Alyssa Yeng on Thursday, 4/17. They still haven't received State Department approval, so the best estimate she could give was an amorphous sometime in the next couple weeks.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend won her ETA to Taiwan and has a week before her decision is required. *gulp*

I am one of those applicants waiting to hear from Ukraine.  I am losing sleep over this waiting period/the current revolution. I really hope they let us know sooner than later so I can accept or defer my grad school plans (and finally get some sleep ^_^).

How many applicants are waiting to hear from eurasia?? And which country are you waiting to hear from?

I am waiting for Ukraine.  All my advisors seem to think that the program will stay open, even though the peace core volunteers were evacuated from the country.  I am not religious at all, but I have actually started  praying to hear something from Fulbright Ukraine.  Let us all hope it happens soon!

How many applicants are waiting to hear from eurasia?? And which country are you waiting to hear from?

I am waiting for Ukraine.  All my advisors seem to think that the program will stay open, even though the peace core volunteers were evacuated from the country.  I am not religious at all, but I have actually started  praying to hear something from Fulbright Ukraine.  Let us all hope it happens soon!

I think the only Eurasian country to send out notifications is Moldova, and those were sent out late last week. The other countries (Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, and the Caucasus) have yet to hear, and much of the Balkans is also silent on the news front. I'm an Armenia applicant, but I'm really pulling for you Ukraine and Russia applicants. I know that the Fulbright program stayed operable during the brief war between Russia and Georgia in 2008, but obviously this situation is more tenuous and fraught with uncertainty. My impression is that the State Dept. will try to keep the program going unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances. I'm hoping that the situation right now doesn't devolve into something that would qualify as that type of circumstance. Fingers crossed for you guys. 

Still waiting on Russia ETA news, so I completely feel your pain/anxiety.  I'm reeeeeally hoping that we hear back this week (/today). I can't maintain this lifestyle of stress feasting each day that I don't receive a notification - it's becoming quite costly and horrifying. lol