Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I love all of these gifs. I can't deal with all of you, you're all so great. Congrats to everyone who has heard back recently!!!!! :) 

Last year Vietnam found on May 2nd, so I'm hoping worst-case scenario we'll hear back within a week. (Hopefully sooner!) 

Good luck to everybody waiting/in alternate status. 

Time: 7:21 EDT

Subject: Fulbright Application Status (P)

Letter:  Dear Ms. Brown,

Congratulations!

I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected for a 2014-2015 Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Zambia.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOOO happy for you!!!! Just did an epic happy celebratory dance in my office. OMG this is awesome and has definitely made my day. Can't stop smiling  ^________________________^

Congratulations!

I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected for a 2014-2015 Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Zambia.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

OMG!!!! CONGRATSSS, Mozartgirl53!!!! I definitely agree with GnosisExchange that you should keep a blog so we can keep up with your great work!

Congratulations!

YAY!!!!!!!

So the State Department ordered another travel warning to Ukraine and there was talk that the peace core volunteers would return to Ukraine.  That is false, the peace core volunteers will not be entering Ukraine for a while.

If Ukraine does end up canceling the program, when would we find out?  Would they place us somewhere else if we win?  Could they defer the Fulbright grant to a safer time?

I am sick to my stomach about this.  I really hope they make some announcements about Eurasia today!!!!!1

My mother's response to another "No, I didn't hear back from Fulbright yet" : "Honey, did they lose your application?" Good question. 

haha very good question.

one of my friends recently told me he assumed i didn't get it because it's been so long since we got recommended and i haven't mentioned it since. i'm just trying to keep my mind off of it. it's not working. 

oh lawd, neeeeed to find out soon. 

Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Been rootin' for you!

And thanks so much for the kind wishes! 

Congrats to everyone hearing about their Fulbright acceptances and best of luck to Alternates (my fingers are crossed for you) and to those seeking other paths.

I found out this morning I received the Fulbright to SWEDEN!

Is there anyone else out there also heading to SWEDEN in the fall?

CONGRATULATIONS! It is so nice to know that someone got it; everyone yesterday seemed so devastated to get A or NS. Congratulations, really. What's your project?

I'm so excited (and a little terrified). Just signed and sent out my Fulbright contract and yesterday my TFA deferral was granted!

(Mine was delayed because it was sent to wrong house at first and had to be resent to Korea and then back to Miami)

OMG--I still can't believe this is really happening. When I had the contract in my hand is when it all became real. For the first few days I was convinced I would get an email saying my acceptance had been a system glitch, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Thank you to everyone that has been so supportive in this community. I truly thankful I have had you guys to go through with this.

Whodey1983, I received an Alternate to Cambodia. Did you apply? Would be interested in sharing projects. Am a bit disappointed and anxious all over again.

Super excited to have been accepted to Russia in research!! When I saw the P in the subject line I had a heart attack!!! 

Is anyone else here going to Russia?

I was also wondering when/how we will get details about procedures, stipends, etc...do I have to wait until orientation to find out? I am such an OCD planner, I want to know NOW! :)

Congratulations!

AAAHHHHHHH YAAAYYYYYYYY!!!! I'm so happy for you Motzartgirl, I've been waiting to hear about your status! You totally deserve it!  Thanks so much for all your encouragement on this forum, and I hope you know just how appreciated you are by all of us on here! Best of luck in your project!!!

This is great news, SonaTina! I've been holding my breath about Russia and Ukraine, and this certainly seems to say Russia is ON. I hope tomorrow is a good day for Russia recommendees!

Thank you Mozartgirl! Congrats on your acceptance!

Congratulations and very much deserved, @mozartgirl53!!!  It's your turn now, @miri1776 ;)

Thank you! I appreciate the support. I worked out for two hrs today to blow off steam. I feel normal again! The gif of hugh grant made a huge difference :)

haha Hina where did you apply and for what? I'm not sure I remember, sorry!

Anahid, I applied for research to Bangladesh. My project is geared towards constructing a micro-finance graduation program for single women in the urban areas (doesn't have to do with education as the name might suggest, it's geared towards "graduating" families out of poverty). I was in Bangladesh a couple of years ago for a short time, and am SO excited for the prospect of going back.

What is your project about? 

Keeping my fingers crossed we hear back veryy soon!

Oh that is so AWESOME, focusing on women's empowerment! I applied for a research grant to Armenia, and I'm also working with women or would really like to. I was also in Armenia twice before (I am Armenian-American) and noticed huge problems with women's rights, although slowly there is some movement to address this. Specifically, my research would focus on ethnic Armenian refugee women from Syria, Iraq, and Azerbaijan (Iraq and Azerbaijan are the older refugee populations; Syria is of course way more recent) and do a multi-sited ethnographic study of their long-term integration into the host society via participation in NGOs and CSOs. This would for sure be an anthropological focus, but I'm hoping it can help influence policymaking and ease the stress of out-migration and UNHCR agreed to sponsor me. 

Fingers crossed for us both and whatever happens, we need to realize women's rights and empowerment is a huge deal, within our own cultures and abroad, so we should keep fighting for it :)

Oh that is so AWESOME, focusing on women's empowerment! I applied for a research grant to Armenia, and I'm also working with women or would really like to. I was also in Armenia twice before (I am Armenian-American) and noticed huge problems with women's rights, although slowly there is some movement to address this. Specifically, my research would focus on ethnic Armenian refugee women from Syria, Iraq, and Azerbaijan (Iraq and Azerbaijan are the older refugee populations; Syria is of course way more recent) and do a multi-sited ethnographic study of their long-term integration into the host society via participation in NGOs and CSOs. This would for sure be an anthropological focus, but I'm hoping it can help influence policymaking and ease the stress of out-migration and UNHCR agreed to sponsor me. 

Fingers crossed for us both and whatever happens, we need to realize women's rights and empowerment is a huge deal, within our own cultures and abroad, so we should keep fighting for it :)

That sounds like an amazing project as well!! And very relevant to the current situation. I really hope you get the chance to make it happen! Hopefully having UNCHR backing you will hold some weight as well. 

It's pretty amazing you're going to potentially be going back to your homeland. I'm Pakistani-American, and wanted so badly to do my research in Pakistan, but of course it's closed off to Fulbrighters (rightfully so). If I do end up getting Fulbright, I'm hoping to go to Pakistan after I complete my research to do a pilot with an organization I have ties with there. I've only been to Pakistan once since I was 3, so I would definitely love the chance to not only see my culture first hand, but to also work on women's issues there.

Well it's so great to meet someone with the same goals! I'll definitely be rooting for you!