Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

A Fulbright ETA from my school extended her grant for a second year in Korea. Though I'm not sure if she was still considered a Fulbrighter, or the school just kept her for another year. I also remember reading somewhere that extensions/renewal are possible, but not too common. In either case, to have another Fulbright experience, ETAs just have to wait two years before applying for the research grant! :D

I was wondering about this too because I would like to do international research--specially in Latin America--once I go back to graduate school. I'm so glad that we can apply for a research grant later on. But I think PhD candidates can't really apply right? Or is it people who have completed their PhD already that aren't really eligible for the Fulbright? I'm a little confused because I'm not sure yet if I'm going straight into the PhD after this or not.

Hey! What about people who applied to Caucasus region? Have you heard any news when can we expect notifications? I would think that since they have so few grants they would make decisions fast but I guess that's not the case.

Hi, yeah I applied for the Caucasus region too, Armenia. Where did you apply? I've been wondering the exact same thing... Research or ETA for you?

I was wondering about this too because I would like to do international research--specially in Latin America--once I go back to graduate school. I'm so glad that we can apply for a research grant later on. But I think PhD candidates can't really apply right? Or is it people who have completed their PhD already that aren't really eligible for the Fulbright? I'm a little confused because I'm not sure yet if I'm going straight into the PhD after this or not.

You can apply for it during your PhD (because they allow it for grad students under the student program). You should check with the school to see if it possible though. If you apply after (I think 5 years after) then you become a scholar/professional and it is a different type of grant. I believe. I remember reading this somewhere.

You can apply for it during your PhD (because they allow it for grad students under the student program). You should check with the school to see if it possible though. If you apply after (I think 5 years after) then you become a scholar/professional and it is a different type of grant. I believe. I remember reading this somewhere.

Sweet thanks! I'll check that out! 

Hi, yeah I applied for the Caucasus region too, Armenia. Where did you apply? I've been wondering the exact same thing... Research or ETA for you?

My friend was a Fulbright last year for the Caucasus. He said he received his notification on April 1. 

All day I've been having this anxious feeling realizing that when the email does come, that one click will decide a whole lot. I am terrified! Hope everyone is feeling okay :)

Oye, I am terrified as well! I should be hearing in the near future. April is a big month. So, so, so, so, so, so anxious, nervous, terrified, everything! Thank your for asking how everyone is doing! :-) Let's hang in there! ...since that is our only option anyway, LOL!

Oye, I am terrified as well! I should be hearing in the near future. April is a big month. So, so, so, so, so, so anxious, nervous, terrified, everything! Thank your for asking how everyone is doing! :-) Let's hang in there! ...since that is our only option anyway, LOL!

right? i was just talking to my friends about how technology just makes everything scarier....no big or small envelopes to prepare us! haha and to think it's gonna be included in the subject line....aghhhh!

right? i was just talking to my friends about how technology just makes everything scarier....no big or small envelopes to prepare us! haha and to think it's gonna be included in the subject line....aghhhh!

Yes! The thought of knowing just by the subject line...before I even open it...is just crazy.

Wait, it's included in the subject line?

Some countries have a code in the subject line that tells you the results before you open it. 

P = Principal Candidate, congrats you got the award!

A= Alternate. Still amazing, but I imagine bittersweet.

NS = Not Selected. I still think you're awesome. Apply again and here is a cookie.

That's how I viewed them, anyway. 

I didn't get anything... either AmyPhD--who just made (presumably) her account--is trolling, or I really didn't get anything.

I didn't get anything... either AmyPhD--who just made (presumably) her account--is trolling, or I really didn't get anything.

OMG that really scared me! I searched everywhere in my email. Really hope she was trolling

Some countries have a code in the subject line that tells you the results before you open it.

P = Principal Candidate, congrats you got the award!

A= Alternate. Still amazing, but I imagine bittersweet.

NS = Not Selected. I still think you're awesome. Apply again and here is a cookie.

That's how I viewed them, anyway.

Tomorrow is the beginning of a new week of acceptances, alternates, and... the word is too horrible to say!

I was so upset when I woke up. My anxiety immediately returned  :wacko:

The best to us both, Paigeb! :-) And here's to not losing our minds and collapsing from the anxiety! We will both know soon...sounds like April is the important month for us both!

Any Brazil people think we will find out tomorrow? I talked to my FPA and he thinks we will find out this week, based on past years, and the fact that Monday is traditionally a Brazil notification day. Also, I wish they didn't put the (P), (A) or (N) in the subject line...I personally need time to slow my heart rate when I receive emails like these...

Current Fulbright ETA in Korea here! 

Just wanted to say we're excited to see who's coming over this year! We found out this time last year, so prepare for a memorable week! :)

Thanks for the support jstranberg! Hopefully this week brings good new.

Any Brazil people think we will find out tomorrow? I talked to my FPA and he thinks we will find out this week, based on past years, and the fact that Monday is traditionally a Brazil notification day. Also, I wish they didn't put the (P), (A) or (N) in the subject line...I personally need time to slow my heart rate when I receive emails like these...

I have no idea when the notifications will come out, but I can definitely relate to the heart racing part. My heart speeds up just thinking about receiving that email. Hopefully we'll hear back soon. Good luck!

Glad to hear from other India applicants. I'm hoping to conduct research on the history of African American Jazz musicians that moved to India in the 1920s-1940s to escape segregation in the USA, as well as the impact of the US State Dept jazz tours to India during the Cold War of 1950s and 60s.

That sounds like an amazing project! 

German Research/ETA hopefuls: do you think maybe April 1st will be the day? I noticed that acceptances are usually on a Tuesday for us... Then again, the delays might mean we have to wait a little longer. 

Edited by cantthinkofagoodusername