Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

So my mom is coming to town tomorrow for a meeting (She's a fancy preacher boss) and she just texted me and asked me to go to dinner with all of them at 5:30.........I'm either going to be an excellent guest or the worst one ever. What if I miss notification because I'm being polite and TALKING ABOUT THE LORD?!?!?!?!?!?

LOL

Kelsey, you are brave to say yes.  I would be ready to have a silent meltdown haha.  I can't deal with my parents in times like this.  I usually just start crying, for fear I will disappoint them - this is after I have lived alone for HOW many years?!  I blame Catholic guilt.

TOMORROW!!! I will likely still be at work, but I'm going to open the e-mail immediately; we've already waited too long.

But, this will be my reaction when I see an e-mail in my inbox from the Fulbright Program. Hope I don't scare my co-workers.

Troy-Barnes-gif-2.gif

TOMORROW!!! I will likely still be at work, but I'm going to open the e-mail immediately; we've already waited too long.

But, this will be my reaction when I see an e-mail in my inbox from the Fulbright Program. Hope I don't scare my co-workers.

Troy-Barnes-gif-2.gif

I have so many things going on at once that it hasn't hit me what an important email this will be to my next year.

I have this strange feeling that I'm not going to get an email at all, I think this is because I have a serious fear of bureaucracy.

I wish I did because I wouldn't have proposed a topic for a Fulbright grant at all! I study bureaucrats for a living!

Guys...It's officially Tuesday, January 28th ET.

Your profile picture...It still makes me so happy. Maybe I'll watch that while I wait for the result today.

I think it usually says in the program description page whether there is an interview component or not? Germany definitely does not have an interview component.

I'm a current full grant, so I didn't have to prove language, but I'm not sure this is true of ETAs. I can check in, but I seem to remember my colleagues talking about having to prove their German (how they did this I'm not sure). Before anyone freaks out, I've spoken to some of the ETAs and their German is really just okay, like good enough to order a coffee, but not good enough to hold a conversation.

I'm a current full grant, so I didn't have to prove language, but I'm not sure this is true of ETAs. I can check in, but I seem to remember my colleagues talking about having to prove their German (how they did this I'm not sure). Before anyone freaks out, I've spoken to some of the ETAs and their German is really just okay, like good enough to order a coffee, but not good enough to hold a conversation.

Now I remember! They had to translate their application materials in the second round.

Now I remember! They had to translate their application materials in the second round.

I seem to recall that German ETA applicants did not have to do that for the 2013-2014 round, but I could be wrong. 

Nope! I am a current German ETA. No interview or language certification process beyond the language evaluation form you submit with your initial application.

In years past, Germany ETA grantees did have to translate their materials in the second round, but that changed last year. We did not have to do anything extra beyond indicate our preferences for Bundesländer via an online form.

Nope! I am a current German ETA. No interview or language certification process beyond the language evaluation form you submit with your initial application.

In years past, Germany ETA grantees did have to translate their materials in the second round, but that changed last year. We did not have to do anything extra beyond indicate our preferences for Bundesländer via an online form.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying, Torrid. Hope you're enjoying Germany (I am)! :)

Mojodreams,

I feel you. But like my BF said to me tonight "You know nothing! Stop saying that!"

He is going to get me ice cream later because he loves me. I told him he didn't need to but he insists. I'm curled up with a glass of wine, feeling both excited and sad about tomorrow.

Lol my boyfriend said that we'll either go celebrate or get ice cream, with the added disclosure that he doesn't condone emotional eating, but this is a circumstance that deserves to be an exception.

Kelsey, you are brave to say yes. I would be ready to have a silent meltdown haha. I can't deal with my parents in times like this. I usually just start crying, for fear I will disappoint them - this is after I have lived alone for HOW many years?! I blame Catholic guilt.

Hey Catholic guilt is powerful stuff man, you cannot escape its grasps sometimes.

I have prayed about it and am ok with whatever the decision is personally, but it's having to tell my Fulbright cheerleaders that I dread. If nothing else, the process has revealed to me who has my back 100%, but I don't want to disappoint people.