Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Although I'm glad the anxiety is over (for now), I'm starting to miss chatting with everyone :( After 3 weeks, I'm so used to it that avoiding the forum is hard!

I feel the same way.  Even though I got DENIED (BOOO), I still want to be on here with you people.  None of the other forums for grants I applied for are as vocal and awesome...

I feel the same way.  Even though I got DENIED (BOOO), I still want to be on here with you people.  None of the other forums for grants I applied for are as vocal and awesome...

What other grants did you apply for? (just so we can make sure that we are accurately cheerleading for you).

Although I'm glad the anxiety is over (for now), I'm starting to miss chatting with everyone :( After 3 weeks, I'm so used to it that avoiding the forum is hard!

I'll continue to chat and participate as it only makes me more excited to apply for 2015. :)

So, if anyone is bored and looking to help out a first-time applicant, I'd love to hear how you went about securing your affiliation, especially if you didn't have an easy connection to someone in the country. In particular, I'm interested in knowing whether you picked your city first and then looked for an affiliation, or let what seemed to be the best affiliation drive your location?

So, if anyone is bored and looking to help out a first-time applicant, I'd love to hear how you went about securing your affiliation, especially if you didn't have an easy connection to someone in the country. In particular, I'm interested in knowing whether you picked your city first and then looked for an affiliation, or let what seemed to be the best affiliation drive your location?

I planned my entire project first. That told me what country I was applying for, and what city I wanted to be in, based on where the archives are. Then, I worked with my advisor, who works in the same field as me, to figure out where would be best for the affiliation. I thought both about where would be best for me but also where might look the most impressive for the application. Turned out they were one in the same place in the end. At first I thought about just asking scholars in France whose work I liked to work with them directly, but then I was connected with a bigger cultural institution run by the government. 

Hope this helps

I think it will be different for every person though depending on your project, and what kind of degree/field you are currently in. 

What other grants did you apply for? (just so we can make sure that we are accurately cheerleading for you).

Actually, this is probably something interesting to track on the google doc in the future - what other grants people applied for at the same time as the Fulbright. 

I'm waiting to hear back from SSRC and Wenner-Gren!  Should be within the next month or so for both of them.

I so appreciate the cheerleading!

I think it truly depends on a variety of things, including your field/interests/country on how you go out setting up the affiliation.

For me, I definitely allowed what seemed to be the best affiliation to drive my location.  Before I even started thinking about the application, I knew that I was interested in a specific university in a specific country.  From that point, I sent emails to the major researchers in my field at the university.  I sent them my C.V., information about the Fulbright Fellowship, and other information about my interests.  I only sent out around 4 emails at first and received a response.  She was quite enthusiastic and gladly helped design a project with me.  I came up with an idea of a project that fit within her interests and her expertise.  She provided a lot of feedback on the design and wrote a great letter of affiliation.

The only thing is that it literally took months and months for this to finalize  I started sending out emails at the end of May/beginning of June and only finalized everything with my potential affiliate at the beginning/middle of September.  

Edited by meupatdoes

Actually, this is probably something interesting to track on the google doc in the future - what other grants people applied for at the same time as the Fulbright. 

We could maybe add it as a separate sheet on the google doc.

First you have to ascertain, are you applying to the Student program or the Research Scholar, two different programs and applications. I did the Scholar things and already had my short listed interview. I was recommended Nov 6th.. Short listed interview Jan 21.. so as you see different from what most in here applied too 

First you have to ascertain, are you applying to the Student program or the Research Scholar, two different programs and applications. I did the Scholar things and already had my short listed interview. I was recommended Nov 6th.. Short listed interview Jan 21.. so as you see different from what most in here applied too 

Sorry--I will be applying for the Student program and to perform research, not take classes.

I found a program I loved then wrote to a faculty member within it. I had absolutely no contacts within that university, so in my email, I simply stated what I was applying for, what I hoped to research, why I was interested in her research, and asked if she would be willing to discuss potential sponsorship. I was like in that she responded within ten minutes stating she'd love to sponsor me. I then sent my CV, a draft of my SOP and PS and asked if she needed anything else. I really recommend asking early, as I know others had to ask a few before someone agreed.

I went up to Ottawa, where I established some contacts, etc.  I asked them if they'd have me and they said yes.

I also stayed with friends on the way to/from in the T-O.  It was as much a vacation for me and my bike as it was about the Fulbright.

I found a program I loved then wrote to a faculty member within it. I had absolutely no contacts within that university, so in my email, I simply stated what I was applying for, what I hoped to research, why I was interested in her research, and asked if she would be willing to discuss potential sponsorship. I was like in that she responded within ten minutes stating she'd love to sponsor me. I then sent my CV, a draft of my SOP and PS and asked if she needed anything else. I really recommend asking early, as I know others had to ask a few before someone agreed.

Agree... and, at least in europe... over the summer sometimes people don't respond to emails for months at a time... so ask and get a letter early if you can!

Another question: is there a set role that the sponsor takes on, or does it really depend on you? This question is probably better-suited for those not studying the sciences where you'll be working in a lab, because I think the sponsor's role is clearer--assuming s/he will be supervising your work and giving you daily tasks. But for those who proposed topics in the social sciences/humanities (or law, like I will), what type of help did you ask the person for?  Does my question make sense? It's been a long day at work. :wacko:  :blink:

Hello everyone! I was just googling information on the next step of the Fulbright process and stumbled across this website.

I knew I had to make an account when I saw people also excited about the Fulbright.

Congratulations to all of you for making the first round. 

When I got my email Tuesday evening, I was screaming for a LOOONNG time! I was SO excited! I put my blood, sweat, and tears into those essays.

I applied for an ETA to Taiwan. I've been studying Mandarin for almost three years now and have already been to Taiwan, etc etc blah blah blah. Ha!

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with you all. :-)

I'm sending out my transcript tomorrow!

Another question: is there a set role that the sponsor takes on, or does it really depend on you? This question is probably better-suited for those not studying the sciences where you'll be working in a lab, because I think the sponsor's role is clearer--assuming s/he will be supervising your work and giving you daily tasks. But for those who proposed topics in the social sciences/humanities (or law, like I will), what type of help did you ask the person for?  Does my question make sense? It's been a long day at work. :wacko:  :blink:

My project involved research in the humanities field. One of the main things I requested besides lab space, access to programs/databases, was my ability to have someone mediating my work with a certain group in the community. So when I would approach the community, I wouldn't be a total stranger/weird American with a savior complex trying to talk to those in the community. I am not sure if it makes sense, but I wanted someone who could facilitate the dialogue I would have with the people I wanted to interact and work with in order to do my study.  

As for my Fulbright affiliation, a fellow Fulbrighter was the one that connected the dots with my interests and with the host institution's interest. The lead research director came to the US and I was able to have an informal face-to-face interview where they saw my application, project proposal, personal statement, CV, transcript, etc. etc. And after that nerve wrecking meeting they were really excited to work with me and send a letter of affiliation. I think that the fact that they showed a lot of interest might of made my project too feasible. But of course, I still need a 9 month visa and a grant to do the project  :P

I think it depends on your project. I'm still keeping my diss. advisor in the US, and mostly want research help and finding my way through the labyrinth (read bureaucracy) in the archives. I could see an affiliation taking on a variety of roles though depending on what the researcher's needs are. I'm far enough along that I know what I need to find and what I want to do but if I were going a year ago I would probably need more guidance from the affiliation.

As for my Fulbright affiliation, a fellow Fulbrighter was the one that connected the dots with my interests and with the host institution's interest. The lead research director came to the US and I was able to have an informal face-to-face interview where they saw my application, project proposal, personal statement, CV, transcript, etc. etc. And after that nerve wrecking meeting they were really excited to work with me and send a letter of affiliation. I think that the fact that they showed a lot of interest might of made my project too feasible. But of course, I still need a 9 month visa and a grant to do the project  :P

I think this is probably something to highlight. For me it was my advisor who knew a scholar who had worked with an institution who got excited about the project. I think any kind of inside connections like this (or in your case meeting them in person even better) always allows the affiliation letter to be more personal and probably stronger. 

Hello everyone! I was just googling information on the next step of the Fulbright process and stumbled across this website.

I knew I had to make an account when I saw people also excited about the Fulbright.

When I got my email Tuesday evening, I was screaming for a LOOONNG time! I was SO excited! I put my blood, sweat, and tears into those essays.

I applied for an ETA to Taiwan. I've been studying Mandarin for almost three years now and have already been to Taiwan, etc etc blah blah blah. Ha!

Hey SmarteyMartey! So glad you found us! It's going to be a (hopefully not too) long (of a) wait before we get the final results, so we're glad to have you with us to share rumors and speculations as we bite our nails and try desperately not to scream. I don't know if Taiwan ETA conducts interviews, but if they do, I could chat with you in Mandarin a bit! Btw, that offer's extended to anyone who'd like a brushup for an interview. I can't say my Mandarin's very good but growing up Chinese American's gotta count for something!

Another fun question - You are not allowed to use any grants that match the benefits that Fulbright provides. In some areas this is clear (i.e. travel, medical, personal subsistence) - but does this extend to subsistence for any local assistants that you will be hiring? (I am required to pay lodging/food/salary for local assistants). What about specific supplies needed for data collection? Or lab fees?

This questions concerns the Full Research grant for the US Student program.

I would ask in the oder Fulbright forum, but it's a bit dead...  Maybe someone here has already asked?

Thanks! 

Hey SmarteyMartey! So glad you found us! It's going to be a (hopefully not too) long (of a) wait before we get the final results, so we're glad to have you with us to exchange rumors and speculations as we bite our nails and try desperately not to scream. I don't know if Taiwan ETA conducts interviews, but if they do, I could chat with you in Mandarin a bit! Btw, that offer's extended to anyone who'd like a brush up for their interview. I can't say my Mandarin's very good but growing up Chinese American's gotta count for something!

Hi guys! I guess I'll check in. I lurked around these boards last year and it was nice to know people shared my hysteria. 

I'm also an ETA candidate for Taiwan. I was recommended last year, but ultimately not selected. I'm reapplying this year with (what I think is) a stronger application, and I've been recommended again. 

I can confirm that there is no interview for Taiwan ETA candidates. Last year we were notified of decisions around the 2nd week of April. The notification times vary based on program. For example, some European countries are notified in early March, some like South Korea ETAs are usually notified late March, and Chinese and Taiwan programs are usually late April to early May. 

Good luck all! Don't stress out now, we still have two and a half more months to wait  :P