Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hi guys, I have a quick transcript question. I sent my transcripts in from my university, but I studied abroad in Australia and didn't send in that transcript. It has literally one grade on it, but was told by our on-campus advisors that I need to send it. I would just do it but it would cost me $50, so I want to make sure it's actually necessary. Anyone have any insight? Thanks. 

This is what my recommendation email said "

Please arrange to have one official transcript from your current academic institution (if enrolled) and one transcript for all other institutions from which you received a Bachelor’s or Master’s or doctoral degree.  See the website listed above for further information.  Send transcripts to: "

I only sent them my degree granting institution.  However, my study abroad grades are reflected as transfer credits on my degree transcript.

Hi guys, I have a quick transcript question. I sent my transcripts in from my university, but I studied abroad in Australia and didn't send in that transcript. It has literally one grade on it, but was told by our on-campus advisors that I need to send it. I would just do it but it would cost me $50, so I want to make sure it's actually necessary. Anyone have any insight? Thanks. 

Hi there, 

Well, I didn't send my transcripts from Korea. From my understanding, you don't have to send in your transcripts from abroad. In the link for further information about sending transcripts for recommended candidates, it says the following: 

1) Submitting Official Transcripts

All applicants recommended for final review must submit official, hard-copy transcripts to document their academic work.

BA-level candidates: Submit undergraduate transcript from the Bachelor Degree-granting institution. Study abroad transcripts are NOT required.

MA-level candidates: Submit final undergraduate transcript that confirms receipt of a Bachelor Degree. Submit transcript from Master’s Degree institution regardless of whether or not the degree has been received yet.

PhD-level candidates: Submit final undergraduate transcript that confirms receipt of a Bachelor Degree. Submit transcript from Master’s Degree institution (if applicable). Submit transcript from PhD Degree institution regardless of whether or not the degree has been received yet.

I hope that helps a bit! ^_^

Ugh I'm so nervous! Especially because I keep reading new nerdy/interesting research about my topic and meeting badass contacts abroad. How are the rest of you holding up? And the whole not-telling-us-if-they-received-our-transcripts thing, so not cool. 

40 minutes until my interview. I'm dying. This is what death feels like, I'm certain. Nuclearflea, I know them feels. My school has had one before (I think only one), but I'm the first in my family to do this. First generation college, first generation graduate school, and now possibly the first to get a big award like this. It is anxiety inducing. 

Edited by Horb

Dear Fulbright friends,

A few things I'm thinking about to start off the last week of February -

I did a little review of last year's board, and it appears that the first acceptances came on February 22 and were for Indonesia applicants.  The email notices apparently came from IIE, which means that it's possible (and by possible I mean I am somewhat wildly speculating here) that some countries made their choices prior to the transcript deadline and then they were vetted (read: official transcripts were confirmed) and notified immediately thereafter.  I realize that for some countries final notifications may still be quite a ways away, and the best way to determine an approximate timeline would be to look at the "Notification Dates" sheet in the Google doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing.  If your country doesn't have an entry for the 2013-14 cycle, you may be able to find out by checking last year's board () and doing a search for the country.  

For my country and program (Colombia ETA), I know that we shouldn't really be too concerned about getting notices until mid-March, and that, hopefully, we will know before the end of the first week of April.  This is particularly helpful for me because it means I should hear back before the April 15 deadline when I have to make a final decision about enrolling in a PhD program for Fall 2014.

I know from following the board that there are several more of you in similar situations in terms of decision-making, so I wanted to pick some of your brains about how to best go about the question of deferral.  For me there's no question that I will accept the Fulbright ETA opportunity if it presents itself, but I currently find myself in the situation where I've received a few good offers for pursuing my PhD with funding at some of my top choice schools, yet I feel that I shouldn't breach the question of deferral until it becomes necessary.  One of the schools has put a little more pressure to accept their offer as soon as possible and has asked what other programs I am waiting to hear back from, but I haven't specifically mentioned deferring acceptance to Fall 2015 if I am accepted to Fulbright.  The other program had a specific question in their application about what other programs/grants I was applying for currently, so in theory they shouldn't be completely caught off guard if I request a deferral to pursue the Fulbright.  Furthermore, my field is Hispanic Linguistics / Second Language Acquisition and the teaching/research that the ETA-ship entails would be directly relevant to my graduate research interests (I feel like I should just copy and paste this justification paragraph into the emails I'll be sending later on, if needed).  At any rate, I'll cut to the chase: Does anyone think it's a good idea to bring this up prior to hearing a final answer?  

TL;DR: Got in top-choice PhD programs with solid funding offers, super-excited about attending in near future.  Will accept Fulbright ETA if offered, try to defer former to Fall 2015.  Do I show cards now, or only after acceptance?

Best of luck to all the interviewees, I'm sure you're anxious but if possible try to channel all that pent-up energy into showing your excitement and eagerness about finally getting your project going.  

Dear Fulbright friends,

A few things I'm thinking about to start off the last week of February -

I did a little review of last year's board, and it appears that the first acceptances came on February 22 and were for Indonesia applicants.  The email notices apparently came from IIE, which means that it's possible (and by possible I mean I am somewhat wildly speculating here) that some countries made their choices prior to the transcript deadline and then they were vetted (read: official transcripts were confirmed) and notified immediately thereafter.  I realize that for some countries final notifications may still be quite a ways away, and the best way to determine an approximate timeline would be to look at the "Notification Dates" sheet in the Google doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing.  If your country doesn't have an entry for the 2013-14 cycle, you may be able to find out by checking last year's board () and doing a search for the country.  

For my country and program (Colombia ETA), I know that we shouldn't really be too concerned about getting notices until mid-March, and that, hopefully, we will know before the end of the first week of April.  This is particularly helpful for me because it means I should hear back before the April 15 deadline when I have to make a final decision about enrolling in a PhD program for Fall 2014.

I know from following the board that there are several more of you in similar situations in terms of decision-making, so I wanted to pick some of your brains about how to best go about the question of deferral.  For me there's no question that I will accept the Fulbright ETA opportunity if it presents itself, but I currently find myself in the situation where I've received a few good offers for pursuing my PhD with funding at some of my top choice schools, yet I feel that I shouldn't breach the question of deferral until it becomes necessary.  One of the schools has put a little more pressure to accept their offer as soon as possible and has asked what other programs I am waiting to hear back from, but I haven't specifically mentioned deferring acceptance to Fall 2015 if I am accepted to Fulbright.  The other program had a specific question in their application about what other programs/grants I was applying for currently, so in theory they shouldn't be completely caught off guard if I request a deferral to pursue the Fulbright.  Furthermore, my field is Hispanic Linguistics / Second Language Acquisition and the teaching/research that the ETA-ship entails would be directly relevant to my graduate research interests (I feel like I should just copy and paste this justification paragraph into the emails I'll be sending later on, if needed).  At any rate, I'll cut to the chase: Does anyone think it's a good idea to bring this up prior to hearing a final answer?  

TL;DR: Got in top-choice PhD programs with solid funding offers, super-excited about attending in near future.  Will accept Fulbright ETA if offered, try to defer former to Fall 2015.  Do I show cards now, or only after acceptance?

Best of luck to all the interviewees, I'm sure you're anxious but if possible try to channel all that pent-up energy into showing your excitement and eagerness about finally getting your project going.  

I am in the exact same situation for engineering.  Berkeley knows I'm a recommended Fulbright candidate because I interviewed with them and told them.  Haven't received notification from them.  I'm waiting to hear whether I get the Fulbright to say anything about deferral to my other schools.

Edited by NuclearFlea

Long time lurker, first time poster. Applied for an ETA in Tajikistan. 

I received an email earlier today from the US embassy in Tajikistan. They want to arrange a phone interview. Has anyone else received a similar email?

I am so anxious, wondering what it means that I received this email.  :blink:

How do I prepare?! Ahh.  :blink:

@raymondnorth a lot of grad programs would defer for a year bc a Fulbright ultimately makes you a stronger candidate (especially if your phd involves research in another language. I don't think it's something you need to hide, but you could always contact the grad coordinator with a more general "are there cases in which the dept accepts deferral for a year" and keep it vague. The only thing you might want to think about is that it's very hard to get two fulbrights, so if you were ever planning on applying to the research one to support fieldwork (still IIE student, not talking about the scholar program), that might be a reason to pass. But honestly probably not bc down the road grants look for language competence and spending a year abroad is a good way to show that

Thanks for your insights, padthai, I think we have the same perspective with regards to Fulbright making stronger candidates/assets for graduate programs.  I decided to apply for the Fulbright program in part because I've been out of school for a few years since finishing my MA, and I thought it would be an ideal way to prepare to re-enter the academic sphere.  Given the selectiveness of Fulbright and the realization that I am definitely ready to pursue a PhD I figured I should hedge my bets and go ahead and apply to all those programs as well.  While the schools that have accepted me obviously won't benefit from being able to put me on their tally of Fulbrights (if selected, something I have to keep reminding myself), from their perspective I guess it's a year of funded research that they wouldn't have to pick up the tab for.

And that's a good point about potential research funding down the line, something I have been considering more as I know I'm going to be in school for quite a while.  Fortunately both of my options at this point have guaranteed summer research funding and additional internal travel research grants available.  Also, I know I've read on Fulbright's website that being awarded an ETA grant does not absolutely preclude a student from eventually pursuing a full research grant, but I would venture a guess that if it came down to a choice between otherwise equal candidates, one who has not gotten an award before would be favored over someone who has.  I guess the way I see it is that I'll be better off accepting a Fulbright now (if offered) and worrying about that later, than declining now, applying and being denied later, then forever worrying about what could have been...

For countries that do interviews, does anyone know how much weight the interview has? Had mine recently and it was extremely difficult ( connection problems made it more difficult to hear qs which were coming in a diff language). Does a bad interview mean game over?

Hey there- I specifically remember the email that I received from my host country (Australia) stating that technical difficulties would not affect the outcome:

Please be prepared for possible interruptions to the internet connection delivering Skype content between yourself and the Selection Committee as this can happen from time to time. This will in no way affect the outcome of the interview.

I have, of course, replayed the interview quite a bit in my own head and wonder how heavily the interview itself weighs in the process.  If anyone knows how heavily they weigh, I'd love to know! I don't think I did a terrible job, but think I certainly could have done better. Oh well - we'll just have to wait and see, right?

Folks, Full Research Scholar due to being a professional for five years, selected as alternate to UK. They only funded one grant, was suppose to be two, I was #2...lol well if funding opens up they told me I would get one. Worker at Fulbright told me to reapply, anyways we'll see. good luck to all

Sorry to hear that, Bluefit. I can't imagine going after one spot.

I wonder when the earliest notifications this year will be. Last year, Indonesia began on February 22, and we had quite a few big countries like the UK, Colombia, and India all by mid-March.

Edited by Neurovivor

According to my interview, we won't know about the UK until MID APRIL. Le sigh. But I had a wonderful conversation with them so I'll take the wait for the great experience. 

Hi

Myself Pradeep. I have been awarded with the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship from the Fulbright Commission USA. I would like to know the probable stipend given for a Fulbright Scholar in Cincinnati, Ohio. Please reply.

Raymondnorth, thank you so much for sharing the google docs link! I now know I can expect to be notified around the middle of April. Funny, but that makes me feel better. I can postpone the knots in my stomach until April!

Hey all, I'm a doctoral candidate applying for a full research grant for Zambia. My proposed project is to write a history (cultural and intellectual) of the Chewa people in Zambia. Is anyone out there applying to Zambia or anywhere in Sub-Saharan Africa? Also, has anyone heard anything about age discrimination in the selection process? I'm nervous because I'm 53 and worried they may favor younger students who have a longer career ahead of them.

Edited by Mozartgirl53

Sorry to hear that, Bluefit. I can't imagine going after one spot.

I wonder when the earliest notifications this year will be. Last year, Indonesia began on February 22, and we had quite a few big countries like the UK, Colombia, and India all by mid-March.

Interesting, they called me, they being Fulbright telling me the grant I applied for, was one of 5 which were not funded at all. ..Hence if they get funds for it, I will get it.. I wish they would fo told me that before I applied..

Hi

Myself Pradeep. I have been awarded with the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship from the Fulbright Commission USA. I would like to know the probable stipend given for a Fulbright Scholar in Cincinnati, Ohio. Please reply.

Hi Pradeep. Almost all of us (including myself) are Americans applying to other countries, so I'm not sure if this would be the best board if you're looking for information about the Fulbright research experience in the US. I do have a roommate who is studying here through Fulbright from Mozambique and she says that her stipend is pretty generous, especially considering the average cost of living for a student in my city.