Buying a new laptop

shockwave

I don't think there's any question about this. Unless you're in a field or discipline that requires highly specific software applications, a Macbook Air is the obvious choice for many, many reasons.

The only thing worse than a pushy Apple Fanboy is a rich Apple Fanboy who can’t comprehend price restraints.

The only thing worse than a pushy Apple Fanboy is a rich Apple Fanboy who can’t comprehend price restraints.

on the macbook air, speaking as a pushy apple fangirl who skips over the (horrifying) price restraints thanks to a parent's job discounts: 

37534571.jpg

my macbook pro was worth the extra cost (which was only affordable in the first place because of the generous discount i received secondhand). if it weren't for said discount, i would've kicked my mac habit long ago. switching from my pain-in-the-rump iphone soon, too. i'm really starting to get fed up with the ridiculous, unnecessary, money-grubbing changes from apple that seem to happen on an annual or semi-annual basis, but aren't met with an actual increase in quality. 

Edited by pears

I probably shouldn't rise to the bait, but I can't really resist the amusement.

First of all, I can't understand what's hard to decipher about the "Pro" moniker. Apple very explicitly aims that line at a certain level of user, and it is not the average college student. Whining about the price there is like whining that your first car isn't a high-end BMW. Quit it, please.

Second, do please list some of these "ridiculous, unnecessary, money-grubbing changes from Apple that seem to happen on an annual or semi-annual basis, but aren't met with an actual increase in quality."

Third, a cat meme image doesn't really provide any explanation as to why you don't seem to agree that the Air ideally meets OP's requirements.

Apple very explicitly aims that line at a certain level of user, and it is not the average college student. Whining about the price there is like whining that your first car isn't a high-end BMW. Quit it, please.

Does Apple now make anything OTHER than the Pro?  I don't think so.  So yes, it is legitimate to "whine. . ." about the price point of Apples full featured laptop.  The Air is certainly priced better (at least the model with the tiny screen), but it still tips the scales at 1000 bucks.  All in my T430s was about 200 bucks less (and still managing to feel lighter than an older ultrabook I had) and certainly much cheaper than the comparable (in terms of specs) Macbook Pro.  

So yea.  Apple products are a barrier to entry.  This is not a new thing, and I can imagine complaints about it get tiresome - but pretending it's not a legitimate complaint is a bit silly.

First of all, I can't understand what's hard to decipher about the "Pro" moniker. Apple very explicitly aims that line at a certain level of user, and it is not the average college student. Whining about the price there is like whining that your first car isn't a high-end BMW. Quit it, please.

In the threads where someone says "I'm moving to grad school and need a car, what should I get", people also don't usually suggest a BMW 3-series as a legitimate option because you can't afford an M.

Edited by telkanuru

I probably shouldn't rise to the bait, but I can't really resist the amusement.

Second, do please list some of these "ridiculous, unnecessary, money-grubbing changes from Apple that seem to happen on an annual or semi-annual basis, but aren't met with an actual increase in quality."

Third, a cat meme image doesn't really provide any explanation as to why you don't seem to agree that the Air ideally meets OP's requirements.

oh boy here we go

edit: blergh, i shouldn't even bother, but i feel the need to not be a total butt and fail to respond altogether beyond my initial snark.

i didn't say that it didn't fit OP's requirements; it's just not the right choice for me. i know a few people who like their airs just fine, but it's not for me. i use my personal laptop frequently for work, and there are a few things that i can do on my (not so) "pro" that i'm guessing would be impossible — or, more likely, a big hassle that i just don't have time for — on an air. although i purchased my laptop when i was making the undergrad-to-work transition, i had work in mind when i bought it.

regarding price, telkanuru and ANDS! summed it up pretty well. price comparison is a very real thing, even when you're sitting on enough of a nest of cash to afford a new laptop. just because i'm fortunate enough to be able to purchase a laptop doesn't mean i'm willing to spend every single cent i have set aside for that purchase on it if i don't have to.

when i mentioned the "money-grubbing changes," what i had in mind, admittedly, was related to phones. this is mostly me being completely human and shaking my fist at inevitable changes that are going to keep happening at smaller intervals, such as the new iphone 5 chargers. really, it's a minor inconvenience, but i can't help but feel that part of the push for all the new do-dads is a means of nudging people into buying what they think is the "latest and greatest" and making the more affordable, older options harder to access and hang onto.

Edited by pears

As far as "money grubbing" goes, how about selling $17 billion in debt in order to keep its $145 billion in cash overseas so they can avoid paying taxes to the US government.  Kind of despicable, if you ask me, even though I am writing this from a Macbook which I use almost every day.

Edited by alkalifly

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I just got rid of my MacBook Pro for a Lenovo IdeaPad U400. I've yet to receive it in the mail. I got a good deal. They were having a 40% off sale on their website, so I spent $700 on a 3.1 GHz i7 processor, 8 GB ram, 1 TB hard drive plus 24 GB SSD, 14 inch screen, 4 pounds, and touch screen. Much better than the MacBook Pro I paid twice as much for just 3 years ago, which was a 2.26 GHz core 2 duo processor, 2 GB ram, 160 GB hard drive with no SSD, 13 inch screen, and 5 pounds.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

Does Apple now make anything OTHER than the Pro?  I don't think so.  So yes, it is legitimate to "whine. . ." about the price point of Apples full featured laptop.  The Air is certainly priced better (at least the model with the tiny screen), but it still tips the scales at 1000 bucks.  All in my T430s was about 200 bucks less (and still managing to feel lighter than an older ultrabook I had) and certainly much cheaper than the comparable (in terms of specs) Macbook Pro.  

So yea.  Apple products are a barrier to entry.  This is not a new thing, and I can imagine complaints about it get tiresome - but pretending it's not a legitimate complaint is a bit silly.

See: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

Comparing prices across different manufacturers is always very disingenuous, as it happens. I could make a little pile of some of the top automobile components and request that you pay $100,000 for it, because that's what the components cost. BMW could put together an equivalent pile (and even use less "advanced" or high-end components) and request $100,000. They'd be perfectly justified in doing so, because when one buys a BMW, one does not purchase a list of components. It runs the gamut from the raw components, to the guarantee that the very idea of BMW offers, to the overall experience...and so on so forth. This, however, is very different from "buying Prada 'cos Prada." Hopefully that explains why the raw price/component comparison is always misleading. 

Also, yes of course Apple products are priced at a premium--they are premium products. Pointing out that that is a "barrier to entry" is simply stating the obvious. Apple's never targeted the masses as its demographic; that's Samsung/Microsoft territory. 

In the threads where someone says "I'm moving to grad school and need a car, what should I get", people also don't usually suggest a BMW 3-series as a legitimate option because you can't afford an M.

Different people, different strokes. Some may wish to invest in a premium product that can last a decade or more (most Apple computers do this in any case, unlike Windows iterations which typically require significantly upgraded hardware for each new edition). I don't really see the point of criticising my choice because it isn't your choice. I offered what I feel is a strong contender for OP's requirements.

...when i mentioned the "money-grubbing changes," what i had in mind, admittedly, was related to phones. this is mostly me being completely human and shaking my fist at inevitable changes that are going to keep happening at smaller intervals, such as the new iphone 5 chargers. really, it's a minor inconvenience, but i can't help but feel that part of the push for all the new do-dads is a means of nudging people into buying what they think is the "latest and greatest" and making the more affordable, older options harder to access and hang onto.

The iPhone follows a fairly regular product refresh interval. Upgrades are absolutely the user's choice. You're not prevented from using the latest version of iOS until, what, 2-3 product refreshes? Conversely, you don't have to use the latest iOS at all! I know people perfectly happy using their original iPhones. The choice to upgrade is purely on you--you're not at all compelled to follow Apple's rhythm. 

As far as "money grubbing" goes, how about selling $17 billion in debt in order to keep its $145 billion in cash overseas so they can avoid paying taxes to the US government.  Kind of despicable, if you ask me, even though I am writing this from a Macbook which I use almost every day.

I agree that this is not very ethical. Surprisingly (it may appear) I'm a huge critic of Apple's corporate workings--including their Foxconn operations--even as I continue to support their devices and products. It's simple. Apple's products are brilliant, and the best options (for me). It's unfortunate that the company itself is not at all an example of good leadership. I used to be a massive critic of Jobs as well--certainly Gates has done far more for society than Jobs ever did. Still...pointing this out is a bit like hating the music of Michael Jackson because he may or may not have had questionable sexual ethics.

I don't really wish to continue this further because it's often an issue that ends in the same repetitive cycle. What I wished to point out was that the numerous responses I received all tend to be straw-man arguments. 1) Component/price comparison = misleading. 2) Blaming Apple for product refresh cycles = misleading. 3) Pointing out that Apple makes premium products = stating the obvious. 4) Criticising Apple's corporate practices = has nothing to do with their products. 

Long story short, we all use what we find works best for us. My original post was a simple recommendation to the OP based on what I've found to work for me, and, therefore, do strongly recommend to others. It's interesting to observe how much vitriol that seems to have drawn. 

Long story short, we all use what we find works best for us. My original post was a simple recommendation to the OP based on what I've found to work for me, and, therefore, do strongly recommend to others. It's interesting to observe how much vitriol that seems to have drawn. 

At least for me, the visceral response came from just how seemingly dumbfounded you were that anybody would even consider a non-mac option, when price limitations are a very real constraint for most of us.

Basically, a "let 'em eat cake" moment.

Back to the OP's question:

I won't recommend a specific product. I would recommend you consider the following factors:

1. Where will you be using your laptop? If you plan on lugging it around, then you need something light that also has a long battery life.

2. Will it be your only computer or will you have access to a desktop at home? If it's your only computer, then a netbook or similar probably won't do the trick.

3. Will you be using it for TAing/presentations? If so, keep in mind that most universities are set up for PCs and if you have a Mac you will need the extra "dongle" in order to connect it.

4. What have you been using until this point and what software do you own? Will you have to buy new licenses should you switch operating systems?

5. Do you want something that can double as a pad? There are some PC laptops (besides the LENOVO) that have touch screens (I think ASUS or Acer make them). If you like using a touch screen to read/highlight articles, for example, this might be something to consider.

As for my own setup, I have had a Dell XPS laptop for years and it still works great, though it's too heavy to carry around, so I got a 13 inch HP laptop (not a netbook though it's the same size) that lasts 7-8 hours on battery, as long as I'm only using Word. It's not really good for games or watching movies, but it only weighs 3 lbs... which makes a difference when you have to bike to campus. :) 

My two cents:

Yes, I am a mac user, however, I also like Windows 7 (but not Windows 8). I'll be getting a new mac for my PhD studies since most of the software I use to get my data lined up and analyzed is mac-based, potentially a retina display since I'm not buying (yay!) and I work with a lot of fluorescent cell images. Plus I now seem to be more proficient in Unix (and I play with Linux, too) for programs that require coded commands. I pick 'em based on how well they work out for me. My current macbook pro has lasted me over 4 years... until two nights ago. You won't hear me telling you to go one way or the other, though. I think it is really a matter of preference, type of workload requirements, or what you can afford.

Something all of you need to get that shouldn't even be questioned is a really great external hard drive. I'm writing my masters thesis, and had I not backed up the night before my hard drive failed, I would have lost all of my data and my entire thesis. I was able to directly restore my system from Time Machine (and there are some great PC programs/external drives that do the same sortof backup) with no hassle onto my new hard drive. So my thesis is saved!!! I'd been backing up once per week. During writing or major data analysis, please back up once or twice per day.

I also have a partition of my external that I put straight data and files on with no system info. Just make sure you partition right when you get it rather than waiting until you put things on it. When I get my new computer, I'll be upgrading most of my apps, so I'll be able to start (and hopefully keep) a clean system by just puling the files from the external without the whole system migration. I'll be getting a new external, as well. My current one is just a 500GB USB version, but I'll be getting a 1 TB version that I can plug in and is not powered by my computer. The USB powered drives can be purchased for pretty cheap; mine was $50. The ones that don't pull power from your computer are a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Edited by biotechie

Is there some secret link on that page that shows me that the cheapest Air is not in fact 1000 bucks?  And what makes Apple a "premium" product - because they say so?  The OS, build quality, customer service?  All of these merits can be argued to exist well in PC options.

Apple's never targeted the masses as its demographic -

Indeed.  I mean it's like I've ever seen an Apple Store in even the cheapest American mall, or a campus bookstore's tech section dominated by Apple ads. . .or even an Apple ad appealing to the 18-34 market (and they most certainly didn't use a scruffy, young looking Justin Long to communicate average hipness - not at all).  Man.  What the hell was I thinking?

Something all of you need to get that shouldn't even be questioned is a really great external hard drive.

I have two SSD's in my laptop; the folders that contain anything of value are synced to both Drive and Dropbox.  I walk into a WiFi and bam, it's synced long before I even realize to do it. 

I have two SSD's in my laptop; the folders that contain anything of value are synced to both Drive and Dropbox.  I walk into a WiFi and bam, it's synced long before I even realize to do it. 

Good idea... I probably will always use an external to back up a computer, though, since my last PC actually caught on fire (long story, but that plus my dislike of Vista switched me to Mac). I don't really like having my data out on the cloud; it is sortof sensitive data that I wouldn't want others to get. But once again, it is personal preference.

I'm a big fan of storing everything on a cloud drive. I am traveling abroad for archival research this summer and decided to upgrade my cloud storage for a couple of months just so I don't have to worry about an external hard drive and going through customs.