MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Was every single required document for your application already submitted when you got an admission offer?

Yes, but like most universities, they will accept unofficial transcripts and if you get offered acceptance you may have to provide official.  I'm not sure what the situation is if you aren't completing your undergrad degree until August.  I would also recommend contacting the graduate studies office as they would be able to to best advise you.

any one with acceptance from UVIC, U of Lakehead, U of sas, U of Gulph, U of alberta SFU?? Reply asap PLZ

there are some earlier posts on this thread with ppl getting lakehead offers

any one with acceptance from UVIC, U of Lakehead, U of sas, U of Gulph, U of alberta SFU?? Reply asap PLZ

Since people could still apply to Guelph up until March 1st, and since applicants have until March 10th to complete their applications (upload everything to webadvisor) I would be incredibly surprised if Guelph has made any offers yet.  I would consider it highly suspicious if anyone suggests that they have received admission to Guelph's MPH for Fall 2014 entry yet.

Guelph HAS been handing out MSc and PhD admission decisions, but not MPH.  Like I said, they don't even have all the files for all the candidates yet!

Source:  Currently studying at Guelph.

Since people could still apply to Guelph up until March 1st, and since applicants have until March 10th to complete their applications (upload everything to webadvisor) I would be incredibly surprised if Guelph has made any offers yet.  I would consider it highly suspicious if anyone suggests that they have received admission to Guelph's MPH for Fall 2014 entry yet.

Guelph HAS been handing out MSc and PhD admission decisions, but not MPH.  Like I said, they don't even have all the files for all the candidates yet!

Source:  Currently studying at Guelph.

Same I can say about SFU. The deadline to upload all the documents was 15th Feb. Then they will take some time to prepare the applications for review. after reviewing they might short-list students; only and only after that they will make decision and start sending out letters(acceptance/rejection) and this procedure take some time. You have done the application, whatever you could do is over. So, like I said earlier, be relaxed and hope for the best! People have been great here on the forum. I'm enjoying follow up everyday.

and I have inquired at SFU about application decision, they answered me that you should get answer on your application from your department by end of March.

and people are posting updates, if there is any, so stay tuned!

any U of Sask applicants with documents still pending for file review?  i can't seem to get any reply from the U of S, email and ph call. 

Yes mine still shows pending for file review and one transcript is still missing..i`m getting a little worried...

do you know the average gpa required to get in..mines only a 3.3 for the last 60 credits

Yes mine still shows pending for file review and one transcript is still missing..i`m getting a little worried...

do you know the average gpa required to get in..mines only a 3.3 for the last 60 credits

i think they are looking for 3.0+ but i guess its relative to the entire applicant pool. my gpa is not stellar either, but i also graduated with a BSc several years ago.  i do have significant health experience and research.  

my main concern is i still dont know what does admissions do about the LORs? because i have been out of school for a while. i used LORs from ppl i have worked with in the last year or two. Because i have zero contact/relationship with professors from undergrad.  Also i find it really awkward to contact a professor out of the blue and ask for a letter. 

hello,

I am looking at pursuing a mph program in canada, i am a dentist from india( intern) ... as of now i am trying to work on some voluntary work to better my resume( sad about the low scores 63% :(  :( ). i am planning to apply in fall of 2015, i will be very happy to get information on the same so that i can work on what has to be done. Another question is about the mph degree, i have read that universities give you a MSc in the filed lets say msc in epidemology etc, what is the difference between the mph program in usa and canada? which are the different universities that i should look at applying for?

thanks in advance.

Edited by shruthi g

Hi there,

I am an MBBS doctor (equivalent to your M.D) from Karachi, Pakistan. I have applied to University of Saskatchewan, MPH program. I completed my MBBS in year 2010 and secured 70% marks in the central examination held at University of Karachi where almost 2050 medical students took the exam. The student who topped that examination secured only 74% (approx.) because it's a negative marking examination and normally students don't get higher percentages. 

Other than that, I have almost 3 years of experience in a top Government Naval hospital including house job + 1 year as a general physician at a famous local organization. I have also co-authored an international research paper.

I have only applied to U of Sask, MPH program (in December, 2013). What are my chances of getting in the program and when should I expect the outcome of the application? I have also asked for IELTS waiver as my college is affliated with University of Karachi.

My application status is currently appearing as 'ready for review'.......

Waiting for your replies.

Many Thanks, cheers.

I think U Sask goes through their documents manually.  That's why it takes a long time.  I submitted everything in early-mid Feb and it took them a week to change my status to "complete ready for review" and update my CV and LOI to received.

i think they are looking for 3.0+ but i guess its relative to the entire applicant pool. my gpa is not stellar either, but i also graduated with a BSc several years ago.  i do have significant health experience and research.  

my main concern is i still dont know what does admissions do about the LORs? because i have been out of school for a while. i used LORs from ppl i have worked with in the last year or two. Because i have zero contact/relationship with professors from undergrad.  Also i find it really awkward to contact a professor out of the blue and ask for a letter. 

I was in the same situation so I called U Sask up to ask if it would be alright for me to provide 1 academic reference instead of two.  They told me that it is not recommended for anyone who has been out of school for less than 10 years to do that and insisted that I give two academic references.  I contacted one of my undergrad profs and he seemed to remember me (I spent a year studying/working in his lab) so hopefully he didn't write anything negative.  :wacko:

hello,

I am looking at pursuing a mph program in canada, i am a dentist from india( intern) ... as of now i am trying to work on some voluntary work to better my resume( sad about the low scores 63% :(  :( ). i am planning to apply in fall of 2015, i will be very happy to get information on the same so that i can work on what has to be done. Another question is about the mph degree, i have read that universities give you a MSc in the filed lets say msc in epidemology etc, what is the difference between the mph program in usa and canada? which are the different universities that i should look at applying for?

thanks in advance.

Key differences in MPH vs MSc.

MPH is course based. Little to no funding provided, limited scholarships. Goal is to prepare you for the workplace. 

MSc is usually thesis based. You have to find a supervisor, there is research study involved. However you do get a stipend monthly to cover some of your living expenses, and can apply for plentiful scholarships. Goal is to prepare you for academic/industry research. 

Perhaps some other readers on this forum can also point out other differences.

For anyone who has applied to the MPH at SFU, when you log in on SFU's online application site and select "View Application Status" - does yours show an actual status? E.g. under review, or otherwise? Mine appears only to show the institution, term, academic career, program, number and date. Comments?

I think they accept unofficial transcripts but I'm not sure if you have one since you haven't completed your degree.  I would contact Graduate Studies about this if I were you.  Best of luck!

Yes, but like most universities, they will accept unofficial transcripts and if you get offered acceptance you may have to provide official.  I'm not sure what the situation is if you aren't completing your undergrad degree until August.  I would also recommend contacting the graduate studies office as they would be able to to best advise you.

Just a note that I contacted grad studies like you two suggested and they replied and said:

"Your application will be assessed as normal and if you are given an offer of admission you will have to show the proof of degree once you graduate. You may continue to receive 'gentle reminders' from the system which you may disregard."

To my relief :) Now at least my application can still be considered!

I've just been offered admission to the University of Toronto's MPH in Community Nutrition! :) 

My stats:  95% average last 2 years (90% average including both of my undergraduate degrees), a year experiencing working in public health, two years volunteer experience in community nutrition, finishing up a Dietitians of Canada accredited undergraduate degree in nutrition.

I've just been offered admission to the University of Toronto's MPH in Community Nutrition! :)

My stats:  95% average last 2 years (90% average including both of my undergraduate degrees), a year experiencing working in public health, two years volunteer experience in community nutrition, finishing up a Dietitians of Canada accredited undergraduate degree in nutrition.

Congratulations Runner!!! Best of luck with that!

Edited by rush2014

For anyone who has applied to the MPH at SFU, when you log in on SFU's online application site and select "View Application Status" - does yours show an actual status? E.g. under review, or otherwise? Mine appears only to show the institution, term, academic career, program, number and date. Comments?

Same here Regina! No real status!!! :unsure:

That is amazing! Congrats!

CONGRATS! That's amazing news!

I hope you have the time to celebrate properly today (or this weekend). Was this your top choice?

Thanks all!   And yes, UofT was my top choice, not only due to the fact that it combines the MPH with the dietetic internship, but because the dietetic internship part of the program is mostly focused on community nutrition, with only 6 weeks of clinical nutrition (and no foodservice rotations - the foodservice competencies required for entry-level dietitians are met through coursework and labs).  I'm aiming for a career in public health and community nutrition so UofT's program matches my interests goals perfectly.

Oh, and for those who like additional stats/details.  Held one NSERC USRA and also completed a fourth year honours thesis.  So those were my research experiences.  While neither was directly related to public health, they both had public health implications.

I will be celebrating this weekend!

Edited by RunnerGrad

Congrats!  Happy for you that you got into your top choice and that the wait is over :)

That's awesome, RunnerGrad!  Congratulations!