2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Thanks a lot @ tcmazer for calling. I tried twice this morning and couldn't reach the coordinator. Thats good to know!

Congratulations @ sciguy. Keeping my fingers crossed! :unsure:

No problem.  I've tried calling UT-Austin CMB today as well, has anybody gotten any updates with that school?

Just called Einstein.  They said if that you haven't heard anything, you're still under consideration and that all interview invitations will be sent out by early/mid-February.

Thanks for calling @tcmazer!!! Good to know:-)

Sending a ton of emails. Heard this back from Hopkins biophysics "The first round of interview invitations have been extended" and then apologizing that she had no further information. I guess this is maybe implying that there will be more rounds?

Has anyone heard from UCLA Access? 

Does anyone know if USC is actually still sending out interview invites?

UCLA ACCESS had one interview weekend last Friday and they have one more around Feb.

Friday and Saturday, January 24 & 25, 2014*

Sunday and Monday, February 9 & 10, 2014*

USC PIBBS has one today for this weekend and I think they also have a February date, but I'm not sure exactly. I'm not sure if they're still reviewing/sending out applications, but I actually didn't get any flight information until two days ago, so last minute arrangements are possible.

For those of you still waiting on UVa BIMS, don't lose hope! I just got called for an interview :). I think they're just going very, very slowly.

UCLA ACCESS had one interview weekend last Friday and they have one more around Feb.

Friday and Saturday, January 24 & 25, 2014*

Sunday and Monday, February 9 & 10, 2014*

USC PIBBS has one today for this weekend and I think they also have a February date, but I'm not sure exactly. I'm not sure if they're still reviewing/sending out applications, but I actually didn't get any flight information until two days ago, so last minute arrangements are possible.

For those of you still waiting on UVa BIMS, don't lose hope! I just got called for an interview :). I think they're just going very, very slowly.

Sending a ton of emails. Heard this back from Hopkins biophysics "The first round of interview invitations have been extended" and then apologizing that she had no further information. I guess this is maybe implying that there will be more rounds?

Good to know. Thanks for posting this info!

No problem.  I've tried calling UT-Austin CMB today as well, has anybody gotten any updates with that school?

I interviewed there this past weekend and the only interview dates that were given were Jan 23-25, and Feb 6-8. The last day to RSVP for the Feb interview was on Jan 27. Sorry that's all the info I have.

Edited by BVB09

There was some problem with gmail. Check your spam folder guys! I got an interview invite in my Junk.

Two of my interview invites and my acceptance at UIUC all went to my Gmail spam folder...I check it every time I check my email.

Hmm... just got a rejection email from Columbia a few hours after an acceptance email. Not sure what's going on!?!

Sounds like some kind of glitch? I guess I would ask. I think we're all expecting you to get in everywhere so I'd be shocked if they rejected you! :)

Sure! Here it is:

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 liberal arts school
Major(s): Molecular Biology & Biochemistry (just one major, but it sounds like two)
Minor(s): Film and Media Culture Studies
GPA in Major: 3.69
Overall GPA: 3.71
Position in Class: Unknown
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores (revised version):
Q: 165 (91%)
V: 166 (96%)
W: 6.0 (99%)
B: didn't take

Research Experience:
-2 summers + 4 semesters of independent research for undergrad. Presented at national and international conferences. First-author paper in medium-impact factor journal and high honors thesis from undergrad.

-1.5 years (so far) research as a tech at major cancer research institute. 2 publications from this experience, one second-author review in high-impact journal and one fourth-author in high-impact journal.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

-High honors thesis

-Award for outstanding research at international conference

-Senior research award at college

-Deans list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

-TA'd Intro Bio class for 2 semesters

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Not that I can think of! Some volunteer work but nothing too extensive. Also, I've been very lucky to be in a tech position where I'm involved in designing experiments, helping write papers and fellowships. Not just typical tech stuff. I feel like that's helped a lot in terms of learning new techniques and how to do research well.

Special Bonus Points:

No special connections or famous recommenders. I think that my 3 strong references definitely helped my application a lot though.

Applying where:

See signature

Edited by BostonBio153