Moving is expensive!!!

I have only ever moved around my state, so moves never cost me more than a couple hundred bucks. I'm preparing to move about 700 miles now, and unless I get creative this is going to cost me more than a thousand dollars. :(

Anyone have some advice for moving things long distance safely and economically?

for your moving...sell everything big and only take the essential. I was able to move from west coast to east coast with everything in my car. driving took me almost a week. but with the money i got from selling stuff, i cover pretty much my gas and hotel. so that may be an option you can consider...

Maybe I'm coming from different expectations and experiences, but my move is actually going to cost a lot less than I had thought it would.   My girlfriend and I are going from Boston to Nashville, taking 2 beds and a bunch of other furniture, along with books and clothes and assorted other things.  I had been terrified what the costs might be, but my school is giving me a small moving stipend that will cover almost everything.  We'll have to pay a few hundred to cover the rest, but that's a whole lot better than paying $2500 on our own. It's only a little more than it cost us to move in together in Boston.  Without needing to schlep all of our stuff down to Nashville in a truck, that's a price I'm happy to pay.

Have you considered selling your stuff now and buying replacements at your school? I had forgotten that this was an option when I was considering beds, desks, etc (none of them have sentimental value to me, nor are they of exceptional quality.)

Most of my furniture has sentimental value, plus it's pretty nice mid-20th century stuff. I could never afford to replace it with things that are as nice. So, most of my furniture is making the move. I also hate driving, and the thought of driving up I-95 in a Uhaul (with my cat) makes me want to cry, so I'm hiring movers. I got estimates a few days ago, and the POD/labor route is only $300 less than a real moving company, so I'm just hiring the full service movers and saving the stress. I'm selling the stuff I con't care about - sofa, Ikea bookcases, dishes, and lots of clothes. I already made $200 at a yard sale, and hope to get another $200 or so with a second sale after I know what I need and can fit in my new place. Between the yard sales, craigslist (sofa, washer/dryer), I think I'll cover about half of the $2500 estimate the movers gave me. I'm also selling my car and going care free, and I expect to get around $1500 for the car, which will help a lot.

When I did my USPS change of address online, one of the coupon offers was for 20% off Budget truck rentals! You can go ahead and do it but set the address change for a future date.

We are using a 22' rental truck and a car hauler trailer plus driving our other car. It will be around $1500 total for truck, trailer, hotel, and gas. Plus I may splurge and spend an extra $130-ish for unloading help at our destination.

Ultimately, unless we buy thrift store furniture, we estimated moving most things to be cheaper than replacing if we moved ourselves. This is not neccesarily so with movers. I'm happy with second-hand lamps and end tables and stuff, but not, for example, beds.

Thank you everyone for the responses! I think I'm going to find myself selling and and repurchasing a number of items. It's a bit of a hassle, but ultimately worth it based on the moving costs I've found so far.

was on the same subforum ()

Thank you for the link - I'm surprised that I didn't find that when I searched. I'm usually one for telling people to "search first before posting a question" so I guess I'm getting a dose of my own medicine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

try to get a place near or in Cary, Cary is the best place to stay in the Triangle Area.

Just posting to disagree -- in my experience Cary is a quiet suburb, great for raising a family but not a whole lot to do