Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

I didn't get any notification from duke, neither offer or rejection, is there anyone wih me?

A good friend from my school is in the same boat. He doesn't know what that means (and that's where I am with Michigan).

Duke DGS here. Decisions have all been made but the grad school rolls them out in batches for some reason. You should be hearing very soon. We had an amazing group of applicants this year so if you didn't make it, please try not to take it too hard. There were easily 10-15 additional people we would have been thrilled to admit if we had the room. As someone who has been directly involved in admissions at Berkeley and Duke 6 times, I can assure you that there is some "measurement error" in the process. I think we do a pretty good job, but if the composition of the committee had been a little different, for example, I'm sure the list of admits would have been a little different, too. My point is that this process is not an error-free referendum on your academic worth. So hang in there!

Duke DGS here. Decisions have all been made but the grad school rolls them out in batches for some reason. You should be hearing very soon. We had an amazing group of applicants this year so if you didn't make it, please try not to take it too hard. There were easily 10-15 additional people we would have been thrilled to admit if we had the room. As someone who has been directly involved in admissions at Berkeley and Duke 6 times, I can assure you that there is some "measurement error" in the process. I think we do a pretty good job, but if the composition of the committee had been a little different, for example, I'm sure the list of admits would have been a little different, too. My point is that this process is not an error-free referendum on your academic worth. So hang in there!

OMG, rejection is on the way!

I posted this in the other thread and I will post it hear too. I'm not claiming it (because I didn't post it), but I will say that the DGS did interviews this weekend. I left the conversation feeling like I was accepted (based on many things that were said), but I'm still holding my breathe until I either hear or read "congratulations you are accepted."

Maybe that person also had a chat and just decided to claim acceptance. Idk if they interviewed everyone they plan to accept or just the people they were iffy about. He did say I would hear back for sure by week's end so I'm guessing others will too. 

Yeah, I'm also wondering about the Indiana admit. The DGS called me in China on Tuesday to interview and said that admission decisions would be sent out by the end of this week! Keep your fingers crossed!

I'll claim Penn State. It came as a shock since it wasn't even among my top choices, but they made it really appealing and told me about some awesome programs. 

They still haven't drafted up my acceptance letter, but she mentioned they'd hopefully be sent out this week. So, watch for those.

Are they still contacting admits? Have all decisions been made?

Thanks for coming on here and writing a bit about your process. 

Any word on Berkeley? MD-College Park? Cornell? And how do grad schools do these notifications??? LMAO.

I emailed UW out of curiousity and this is what I was told: They sent out initial acceptances already but they're in the process of finalizing acceptances. It sounds like a few more people will be admitted. Then they'll form a waitlist and notify those people. Only then will rejections go out, they suspect by the end of the month. I know not all schools do it this way but I'm sure a good bunch of them do.

Any word on Berkeley? MD-College Park? Cornell? And how do grad schools do these notifications??? LMAO.

This isn't saying much, but I got an email tantamount to a rejection from Madison on the 1st and a different one saying 'we don't accept application materials so far after the deadline... but feel free to reapply next year" from Berkeley today. I should explain, I've only recently finished my MA thesis and had it approved, so it's held up my last reference till now, so that was probably the reason for both schools. But the odd thing is Madison said my incomplete app had no bearing on their decision, but how can that be the case at either school since both, along w/all the others I've applied to, say on their websites they won't look at an app till it's complete, unless that's only partly true? And given the wording of the Berkeley email, is that the same as a rejection? In the end it doesn't matter much I guess, since it's neither a waitlist nor an admit.

I have 6 schools left in play, including a Canadian  polisci program (York), so there's hope if my prof gets my reference in. It's still a long shot b/c my applications have alot of flaws, even  though I published a piece in a foreign journal in December. But hope's all I have at this point. Has anyone heard anything from NYU, Hopkins, Irvine, Binghamton, or any more info from CUNY (the schools I applied to)?. Hope we all get in somewhere, or else next year.

Edited by breaks0

This isn't saying much, but I got an email tantamount to a rejection from Madison on the 1st and a different one saying 'we don't accept application materials so far after the deadline... but feel free to reapply next year" from Berkeley today. I should explain, I've only recently finished my MA thesis and had it approved, so it's held up my last reference till now, so that was probably the reason for both schools. But the odd thing is Madison said my incomplete app had no bearing on their decision, but how can that be the case at either school since both, along w/all the others I've applied to, say on their websites they won't look at an app till it's complete, unless that's only partly true? And given the wording of the Berkeley email, is that the same as a rejection? In the end it doesn't matter much I guess, since it's neither a waitlist nor an admit.

I have 6 schools left in play, including a Canadian  polisci program (York), so there's hope if my prof gets my reference in. It's still a long shot b/c my applications have alot of flaws, even  though I published a piece in a foreign journal in December. But hope's all I have at this point. Has anyone heard anything from NYU, Hopkins, Irvine, Binghamton, or any more info from CUNY (the schools I applied to)?. Hope we all get in somewhere, or else next year.

I'd check the results. I'm pretty sure most of those schools have sent out some acceptances but I don't know if that's it or if more are on the way. I didn't apply to Binghampton but I know they aren't even meeting until the end of the month so don't expect decisions for a while.

I'm not aware that Penn State has contacted anyone else yet (for rejection or acceptance). I think they are still making decisions.

I just checked my Penn State application and it still doesn't say whether or not I'm accepted, so they are still waiting to publish results.

I got a nice call from UNL today. Full tuition, 80% health, and full assistantship. details to follow. 

I had my undergrad here, so if anyone wants info, message me.

Can't wait till next month. Recruitment weekend. It will be good to meet my possible future cohort!

Still waiting on Oregon....

I got my first acceptance!

Still waiting on 9 schools on my list left to notify, but I feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted. 

I have the option to end up somewhere!

Congrats!! I was sending happy vibes your way all day! Who'd you hear from?