Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Did anyone hear from Brandeis?

I didn't apply because they don't take apps from their own undergrads, but if any of you get in -- consider yourself lucky!! A-ma-zing department, hands down. Good luck!!  :)

I am going to give it a few days but I am assuming rejections from: U of Florida, UCSB, UCSC, and possibly Northeastern

You could probably ask the U Florida grad coodinator about it (she's really nice). I got accepted last Tuesday, but I know someone who received a rejection the Thursday before that, so... they definitely aren't going out all at once. I feel like you should hopefully get some sort of official decision soon.

Hi to all application-victims ;)

I have applied to Northeastern/sociology, UCLA/anthropology, North Carolina Chapel Hill/ Geography and Harvard-MES. I saw that there is an acception

entry for Northeastern/sociology. Are there anyone who receive any feedback from this department? 

Good luck to everyone,

:)

Hey everyone, I'm new to typing on this forum but let's be honest--I naturally creep. I was wondering if anyone here is planning on not accepting their Notre Dame interview. If so, I was wondering what your research area/specialty is? I, like many others on this site, am starting to get frantic and manic about waiting. Anybody have any idea about Johns Hopkins and when that school is likely to send out information? I applied to Chicago but that was for fun. It's nice to see that there are people that are feeling the same way I am. Good luck everyone and congrats to those who have already found their school and gotten their first choice (or any) acceptance. 

Good to know, thanks mormlib!  :)  Another quick question- did you contact anyone at the school aside from sending in your application?

No. I've emailed the graduate coordinator about possibly attending visiting days, but that's it. If I was to do it all again, I would probably try to network with professors more before submitting my applications. Time crept up on me before I realized what was happening and the last semester was a rush to get everything in.

No. I've emailed the graduate coordinator about possibly attending visiting days, but that's it. If I was to do it all again, I would probably try to network with professors more before submitting my applications. Time crept up on me before I realized what was happening and the last semester was a rush to get everything in.

Amen!!!! I was finishing my thesis and graduating in December, so I was just trying to get everything in! I did absolutely no networking, and I didn't put names in my SOP =( I've been kicking myself ever since!

I did get fortunate, however, and my POI for one of the schools I applied to (who I didn't mention by name in my SOP) is presiding over the presentation session where I'm presenting at a conference in a couple weeks! Later that evening, I get to have dinner with her and a few others!  So, I'll be networking *after* submitting my application.  I also talked to a graduate student who is currently in another program I applied to, and she said I should be ok so long as I mentioned my interests.  So ... it's nice to have that reassurance.  

We can do this!!

Amen!!!! I was finishing my thesis and graduating in December, so I was just trying to get everything in! I did absolutely no networking, and I didn't put names in my SOP =( I've been kicking myself ever since!

I did get fortunate, however, and my POI for one of the schools I applied to (who I didn't mention by name in my SOP) is presiding over the presentation session where I'm presenting at a conference in a couple weeks! Later that evening, I get to have dinner with her and a few others!  So, I'll be networking *after* submitting my application.  I also talked to a graduate student who is currently in another program I applied to, and she said I should be ok so long as I mentioned my interests.  So ... it's nice to have that reassurance. 

We can do this!!

I graduated in December, too--I understand your pain! I was working on paper with a team of undergrads that we are presenting this year and they all decided to abandon the project on me.

I was able to haphazardly throw a couple names on each SOP, but as I'm looking over it I see that some of them I don't really want to work with and others I didn't even capture their real research interest. So, I think that could have been damaging. But with your stats, I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

For all you Michigan appliers, is there anyone who still hasn't heard back yet? All my friends have heard either way, but they've been silent on my end. Should I contact the department? What do you all think?

I graduated in December, too--I understand your pain! I was working on paper with a team of undergrads that we are presenting this year and they all decided to abandon the project on me.

I was able to haphazardly throw a couple names on each SOP, but as I'm looking over it I see that some of them I don't really want to work with and others I didn't even capture their real research interest. So, I think that could have been damaging. But with your stats, I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

For all you Michigan appliers, is there anyone who still hasn't heard back yet? All my friends have heard either way, but they've been silent on my end. Should I contact the department? What do you all think?

I am so sorry to hear that, mormlib =( That's absolutely heartbreaking to hear that they abandoned you during such a crucial project!!  Are you still presenting?  If so, at which conference will you be presenting?

It sounds like we both have things we're uneasy about on our SOP.  Hopefully they can see we really were doing our best to make a great SOP!! I did have my thesis advisor look over it, and she said it was ok before adding "I absolutely hate Personal Statements ... "  She just doesn't like them, overall!  

Oh thank you!! I am uneasy about my dang quant score, but we'll see how it pans out! I think you're gonna be fine, too.  =))

I am so sorry to hear that, mormlib =( That's absolutely heartbreaking to hear that they abandoned you during such a crucial project!!  Are you still presenting?  If so, at which conference will you be presenting?

It sounds like we both have things we're uneasy about on our SOP.  Hopefully they can see we really were doing our best to make a great SOP!! I did have my thesis advisor look over it, and she said it was ok before adding "I absolutely hate Personal Statements ... "  She just doesn't like them, overall!  

Oh thank you!! I am uneasy about my dang quant score, but we'll see how it pans out! I think you're gonna be fine, too.  =))

Haha, thanks. Yes, we are still presenting. We are doing it at PSA (Pacific Sociological) and a couple of small research conferences here in Utah. They came back on board after the semester ended, but it was still frustrating to carry the project during such a stressful time. I guess you can't always plan on research going perfectly. :)

And my professors hated SOPs as well. It's a universal hatred, I think :)

Haha, thanks. Yes, we are still presenting. We are doing it at PSA (Pacific Sociological) and a couple of small research conferences here in Utah. They came back on board after the semester ended, but it was still frustrating to carry the project during such a stressful time. I guess you can't always plan on research going perfectly. :)

And my professors hated SOPs as well. It's a universal hatred, I think :)

A universal hatred that is apparently really salient in the admission decision process ... much like the GRE!!!!

Oh wow, that is fantastic! That experience is gonna be great for you!!  I'm doing my first two conferences this week and in two weeks ... both on the east coast though! I'm nervous, but excited!  And you're right ... there are always snags to research! It sounds like you have a great mindset regarding research!

Thanks! What is the title of your presentation? I was hoping to see the race and media panel anyway!

My presentation is titled "Making Criollos: Representations of Puerto Ricans in the New York Times, 1948-1958."

Any East Coasters attending the NEO-USS symposium at Kent State at the end of the month? I will be attending with my undergrad mentor and presenting a paper. 

Nope, but I am an east coaster, and I'll be at ESS in Baltimore and SWS in Nashville if you're attending!  Good luck on presenting; I'm sure you'll be great!

Nope, but I am an east coaster, and I'll be at ESS in Baltimore and SWS in Nashville if you're attending!  Good luck on presenting; I'm sure you'll be great!

Thanks Gin, unfortunately my conference abilities are limited with a full time job. Hopefully that will change soon though after this app cycle. Good luck as well.

Is anybody claiming the acceptance from Indiana?  Is it legit?

I've been wondering about that too and hoping to hear from Indiana soon

Ditto

I posted this in the other thread and I will post it hear too. I'm not claiming it (because I didn't post it), but I will say that the DGS did interviews this weekend. I left the conversation feeling like I was accepted (based on many things that were said), but I'm still holding my breathe until I either hear or read "congratulations you are accepted."

Maybe that person also had a chat and just decided to claim acceptance. Idk if they interviewed everyone they plan to accept or just the people they were iffy about. He did say I would hear back for sure by week's end so I'm guessing others will too. 

Thanks Gin, unfortunately my conference abilities are limited with a full time job. Hopefully that will change soon though after this app cycle. Good luck as well.

Hey, that's ok!! I hope it changes for you soon, too! In the meantime, I hope your job goes well =)  Thank you very much, Sociolite, and best of luck to you, too!!

I posted this in the other thread and I will post it hear too. I'm not claiming it (because I didn't post it), but I will say that the DGS did interviews this weekend. I left the conversation feeling like I was accepted (based on many things that were said), but I'm still holding my breathe until I either hear or read "congratulations you are accepted."

Maybe that person also had a chat and just decided to claim acceptance. Idk if they interviewed everyone they plan to accept or just the people they were iffy about. He did say I would hear back for sure by week's end so I'm guessing others will too. 

Thanks Shewrote! Good luck to everyone waiting on them!