Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

I kind of expected...if UCLA doesn't want me, of course I won't have any chance in UM...It's either lots of offers or no offer at all

but I thought it also depends on departmental fit. so no acceptances there does not simply mean no acceptances in top 10 anywhere!. Did I get it all wrong?? Seriously. Am I a fool to think that this process is more complex than that?

It would be great if someone claimed that waitlist. Last year Michigan announced the waitlist days later than the first round of admissions. So did they broke their habit? Does no mail mean clear rejection? 

Yea, no claims yet. Would be nice to have some details.

There is a Berkeley! oh god please be a spam. I can not take two rejections right now

I feel the same way.. I know it's not over until it's over... but knowing that Princeton is probably a no-go... oh please Berkeley.. hopefully they're individual e-mails?

There is a Berkeley! oh god please be a spam. I can not take two rejections right now

I have a lot running through my mind now too, but don't worry. There are a lot of possibilities right now. I do not want to say it is spam, but I would like to know more details. I only applied to four schools where I thought I would be the best fit. I knew Michigan was good, but did not realize the level of competition. I would be a bit upset not to be accepted, but I also realize that I need to work throughout the summer, especially,  if I have to move for school in the fall. If I am rejected from the programs I applied to, I already know that my CV will be improved by the fall season.

Anyways, that is how I am thinking about this process. I was very busy this last year, and application season came much quicker than I expected. Good luck you all of you, and remember that a rejection in 2014 is not the end of the world.

Peace and love to all of you that are stressed about this process.

Edited by NewGrad123

I have a lot running through my mind now too, but don't worry. There are a lot of possibilities right now. I do not want to say it is spam, but I would like to know more details. I only applied to four schools where I thought I would be the best fit. I knew Michigan was good, but did not realize the level of competition. I would be a bit upset not to be accepted, but I also realize that I need to work throughout the summer if I have to move for school in the fall. If I am rejected from the programs I applied to, I already know that my CV will be improved by the fall season.

Anyways, that is how I am thinking about this process. I was very busy this last year, and application season came much quicker than I expected. Good luck you all of you, and remember that a rejection in 2014 is not the end of the world.

Peace and love to all of you that are stressed about this process.

If I failed in all the programs, I would leave the academic area...clearly a academic career does not fit me...

I'll claim Berkeley. Financial packages are to be determined in next few weeks.

Was it a generic e-mail? Individualized? I just want to know that there's a chance.... :(

I kind of expected...if UCLA doesn't want me, of course I won't have any chance in UM...It's either lots of offers or no offer at all

Not sure that's always true. It also comes down to fit in the department. I'm pretty sure I was rejected to a top 20 (presuming since they've sent out acceptances and I've heard nothing), and yet have been accepted to 2 top 10s.

Not sure that's always true. It also comes down to fit in the department. I'm pretty sure I was rejected to a top 20 (presuming since they've sent out acceptances and I've heard nothing), and yet have been accepted to 2 top 10s.

True...but there are people like you, to whom it's just a matter of fitness, and there are people like me, who just not qualified for every single program  :(

True...but there are people like you, to whom it's just a matter of fitness, and there are people like me, who just not qualified for every single program  :(

I feel the same. Hey on the bright side, I always wanted to try sky diving.. from the roof.. kidding :) (seriously, I think I am losing my mental capacity to joke) 

I am sad. But congrads and thanks for confirming. One more thing: was it an official mail or personal mail from a faculty member? 

cheers, gretagarbo. It was from a faculty member whose name, however, was not in my SoP (not my POI).

Maybe. But (if it helps), my applications weren't necessarily perfect. My GREs are only ok (in the 150s). I think my biggest assets are I know what I want to study, I'm got some relevant work experience behind me (I'm not straight out of undergrad - though I know that works for some people), and I only applied to schools where I saw a substantial/relevant fit.

Not sure how many schools you applied to, but keep your head up. It's still early in the game. And, while it may not sound that great now, if this year doesn't work out you can work on your applications and try again.

ok so Michigan is definitely not happening..... 

If you don't mind sharing, where else have you applied, and what are your stats?

If I can share any advice, it would be to stay involved in the field. Work to improve the CV. I just finished my undergrad, but waiting for a reply on grad school was never an option for me. After I applied, I graduated with my B.A. in sociology. Now I have been trying to take every opportunity I can to be involved in projects I am interested in. This will lead toward better stats for the next round of applications.

I was a high school dropout, but throughout my life I have been motivated towards success. Not financial success, but the ability to make a difference in the world. Do not let the world you are trying to help set you back in life. It should be a motivation. It should strengthen you to the bureaucracy of human society. Make it known you are passionate, caring, and motivated towards the success of others. This alone can be a personal accomplishment in the world today.

I tend to ramble, but I really mean it. I wish the best of luck to everyone. I really do not believe in competition. We are all in this together.

Edited by NewGrad123

Just thought I should share for those that are discouraged or stressing about the admissions process. This is what the humanities is about. The process is just a formality. Remember, as much as it may seem, many of us did not come for the competition. It all comes down to the human condition. It feels pretty damn good to have my applications out there! I hope everyone feels the same way!

Our Purpose:

Alpha Kappa Delta seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology,
the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as
will lead to improvement in the human condition.

If you don't mind sharing, where else have you applied, and what are your stats?

If I can share any advice, it would be to stay involved in the field. Work to improve the CV. I just finished my undergrad, but waiting for a reply on grad school was never an option for me. After I applied, I graduated with my B.A. in sociology. Now I have been trying to take every opportunity I can to be involved in projects I am interested in. This will lead toward better stats for the next round of applications.

I was a high school dropout, but throughout my life I have been motivated towards success. Not financial success, but the ability to make a difference in the world. Do not let the world you are trying to help set you back in life. It should be a motivation. It should strengthen you to the bureaucracy of human society. Make it known you are passionate, caring, and motivated towards the success of others. This alone can be a personal accomplishment in the world today.

I tend to ramble, but I really mean it. I wish the best of luck to everyone. I really do not believe in competition. We are all in this together.

I'm a international student who is doing my mphil in uk in sociology. I also applied to duke brown Johns Hopkins Princeton ucla uci. My stats: V: 720, Q: 800, AW: 3.0. I took the GRE three years ago. I know AW is my weakness. My TOEFL is 113. My undergrad GPA is 3.77, my mphil grade is 62, here in uk 70 is a distinction and it's difficult to get 70 in sociology. No publications but loads of RA experience. My research interests are demography, health, family, aging and inequality. I didn't see many international students got admitted yet, maybe they are not on this website.

I'm a international student who is doing my mphil in uk in sociology. I also applied to duke brown Johns Hopkins Princeton ucla uci. My stats: V: 720, Q: 800, AW: 3.0. I took the GRE three years ago. I know AW is my weakness. My TOEFL is 113. My undergrad GPA is 3.77, my mphil grade is 62, here in uk 70 is a distinction and it's difficult to get 70 in sociology. No publications but loads of RA experience. My research interests are demography, health, family, aging and inequality. I didn't see many international students got admitted yet, maybe they are not on this website.

I see a lot of posts that international students are weighted very heavily. I am afraid in many circumstances it comes down to funding. What programs did you apply for outside of the US. I know a professor that teaches jointly between Sweden and the US. Sociology is a very expansive field. I am working with another professor with a great background in international studies, specifically focused on the inequalities within US sociology. US sociology is not perfect, and there are many flaws within US academia. Many good programs are in the early stages of development. This could lead towards other opportunities outside of the UK. 

Do not lose hope. Get involved in whatever you can. Present research no matter how far "out of the box" it is. Outside thinkers is how the field came to be.

Most importantly

To Everyone

Stay in the collective mindset We are all in this world together. Inequalities are manufactured and do not work towards the betterment of the human species.

Edited by NewGrad123