Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Today I got rejected from the only non-sociology program I applied to so now I'm even more anxious about hearing back from the soc programs, boo hoo. At least U Chicago seems consistent about when they accept & reject so I can "look forward to" that (not really hopeful about that one, I doubt anyone is). So now I just cross my fingers my alma mater gets back to me soon (since that's my only other Dec 1 app) and that my Jan 15 applications get processed at a decent rate.

I've been living off of comfort food for the past couple weeks. (It doesn't help that I've been sick with a cold too.)

Glad notifications are starting to go out though.

I just woke up to an acceptance from UC Davis. I wasn't expecting it at ALL since it had pretty much quieted down for Davis. I thought my fate was sealed. The letter wasn't from the department, it was from the Dean of Graduate Studies so I'm thinking its probably not a funded offer. Either way, it gives me hope that maybe I'll get a funded offer from somewhere else. It's not over until its over. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone.

I've been following the last few weeks, but would love to join the discussion! Good luck to everyone, the next few weeks are gonna get crazy.

Hope you feel better soon Maleficent.

Hello, I'm new to the forums. Just finished my undergrad in sociology. Applied to PHD programs at University of Michigan, University of Oregon. University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and UC-Boulder. I did not expect the wait to be this intense. Glad I found the website. So much great info on here.

Best of luck to you all!

Edited by NewGrad123

Good luck NewGrad!  Oregon has an awesome program, I considered them heavily!  What are your interests/stats (if you don't mind me asking)?

Social inequalities related to gender, race, and class mainly focusing on how these inequalities are associated with issues of crime, deviance, and social control.

I have 3 conferences under my belt, and one planned for this spring. Had research funding through an undergraduate program focusing on televised presidential campaign ads from 1952-2012 (new data set out of the political science department here). We focused how the presentation of crime issues has changed over time. Also working with a professor this summer on archival research relating to the history of sociological theory (heading to the Chicago archives in a couple weeks). Just got invited to join a project in the survey research and methodology department. Also was a undergrad TA for a bit helping to develop an emporium model for the intro to social research 2 course. Tutor for intro to social research methods 1 and 2 for a bit. 3.9 gpa in the major. GRE scores were not so good (around 50th percentile). It has been tough to narrow down my specific area of interest, but most of that should happen in my first year or 2.

Congrats SheWrote!!!! Awesome program. Did the acceptance come as a personal email, or did it seem to be one they would send out all at once?

I know for a fact that they aren't all sent out at once. I was depressed for a hour after my friend received her email and I hadn't. *wink to her*

Thanks for the info!  Still waiting then, I suppose.

Me too

I know for a fact that they aren't all sent out at once. I was depressed for a hour after my friend received her email and I hadn't. *wink to her*

Were you one of the people whose financial aid pages changed? Perhaps they WERE on to something?

Social inequalities related to gender, race, and class mainly focusing on how these inequalities are associated with issues of crime, deviance, and social control.

I have 3 conferences under my belt, and one planned for this spring. Had research funding through an undergraduate program focusing on televised presidential campaign ads from 1952-2012 (new data set out of the political science department here). We focused how the presentation of crime issues has changed over time. Also working with a professor this summer on archival research relating to the history of sociological theory (heading to the Chicago archives in a couple weeks). Just got invited to join a project in the survey research and methodology department. Also was a undergrad TA for a bit helping to develop an emporium model for the intro to social research 2 course. Tutor for intro to social research methods 1 and 2 for a bit. 3.9 gpa in the major. GRE scores were not so good (around 50th percentile). It has been tough to narrow down my specific area of interest, but most of that should happen in my first year or 2.

Sounds like you have a lot of impressive experience!  That should def. help offset the GRE scores.  Good luck, and thanks for sharing!

Me too

Were you one of the people whose financial aid pages changed? Perhaps they WERE on to something?

No my financial aid page had NOT changed. I was also very depressed about that because I thought it was a sure sign that I hadn't been accepted. I really don't think that means anything. Even when I checked today, it said "access to financial...admitted students only"

Edited by SheWrote

Man you guys I'm getting depressed right now. I've refused to check the grad cafe (well, i've been sick!), but UT-Austin is one of my top choices. Actually, I really have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get in to any schools.... CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO GOT IN THOUGH!