Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Hi All,

I got a similar email from Stanford saying they expect to send results out in a month. (Wondering whether this says anything about how many applicants they got this year since last year they started notifying on February 1 - any opinions?)

I'm glad you got this too.  I was also expecting Feb. 1-8 so when I saw Natasha's name come up in my inbox, my stomach did a flip.

I'll be anxious to hear from them specifically.

yes! very very slow. I hope that on monday (the 20th) we will be hearing more from the schools. 

I AGREE! I'm dying. I'm trying everything I can and could to get my mind off the super slow decisions!

UC Davis should be notifying over the next few days. 

OMG! Someone posted that they got accepted to Davis. It must the be the season to start sweating like crazy!!!! 

Shewrote, Are you the one that got a call today?

Yes. My POI told me that most phone calls will go out tomorrow.  We already have a working relationship so he went ahead and called me. He technically told me that I should wait to post this so everyone doesn't freak out, but I couldn't wait. 

Yes. My POI told me that most phone calls will go out tomorrow.  We already have a working relationship so he went ahead and called me. He technically told me that I should wait to post this so everyone doesn't freak out, but I couldn't wait. 

CONGRATULATIONS! SheWrote! Where else did you apply this application season?

Is your application portal updated? Or do you think that will happen after tomorrow?

CONGRATULATIONS! SheWrote! Where else did you apply this application season?

Is your application portal updated? Or do you think that will happen after tomorrow?

I haven't checked the application portal. I doubt that it is updated. I was told that it would be a couple weeks before I received a formal letter of any sorts. 

Sociology: Davis, Notre Dame, Rice, UT Austin, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Chapel Hill, NYU, IU, and Harvard Sociology and Social Policy 

Because I'm interested in education, I also applied to education programs. 

My list is long because most of the programs I applied to are really good (and you never know). So far I've gotten interviews at Rice, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt (and just found about Davis)

Edited by SheWrote

CONGRATULATIONS, Shewrote!

All my apps were submitted by the first week of December, and I was cruising without a care until I saw your decision pop up on the results. I'm close to freaking out  :wacko:  An unwanted blobfish has taken residence above my stomach.

What is your background? Those are impressive numbers so early in the game. I didn't know Vanderbilt had sent out interview invites.

Congrats :)

Vanderbilt is an education program. I have no word about Vandy's sociology program. 

I already have my masters degree, a few ASA presentations, and a revise and resubmit (at the time of application). My thesis was my writing sample. I took the old format GRE(1300). 

CONGRATULATIONS, Shewrote!

All my apps were submitted by the first week of December, and I was cruising without a care until I saw your decision pop up on the results. I'm close to freaking out  :wacko:  An unwanted blobfish has taken residence above my stomach.

Thank you. This whole process is so nerve wrecking (esp since I have mostly interviews and not actual acceptances). 

I have news for you: I heard from a faculty member at Berkeley that the admissions committee of Berkeley Sociology will convene and start reviewing the applications next week and we should expect the decisions to come out towards the ends of February. I was also told that each application will be reviewed by three adcomm members, and that's the reason why it will take some time. It is good to know that our applications will be examined from multiple points of view and there is no need to panic if we don't hear from Berkeley soon. 

Edited by gretagarbo

Almost noon PST and nothing yet from UC Davis on the results. Either no one else on GC got in (or has had time to post today) or they haven't called yet.

I would venture to say it's the later option. Again, my poi even told me I should wait until today to post it on here so that I won't have anyone freaking out (again I've previously worked with my poi).

I'm on the other side of the planet, so the times (I'm assuming) emails/phone calls will be going out is about the same time I'm trying and failing to sleep. Glad I'm not alone in being stressed out! Solidarity!