Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Hey - there are some programs with February deadlines I am looking at and one program (MA) has an April deadline.

I applied to some of the programs we discussed (see you there  ^_^) but I also scratched programs off my list - NYU for example  :D pretty sure I would not stand a chance to get in there.

I also checked the results page for hints off when to expect results and most of my programs answer in late February or March.

By the way, someone just posted a notice from NC State that they had 80 applicants - that does not sound a lot, or? I mean I have no way of comparing that number, but ...?

Edited by Sol_Barber

Hey - there are some programs with February deadlines I am looking at and one program (MA) has an April deadline.

I applied to some of the programs we discussed (see you there  ^_^) but I also scratched programs off my list - NYU for example  :D pretty sure I would not stand a chance to get in there.

I also checked the results page for hints off when to expect results and most of my programs answer in late February or March.

By the way, someone just posted a notice from NC State that they had 80 applicants - that does not sound a lot, or? I mean I have no way of comparing that number, but ...?

Hey, yeah I received that email from NC State that they have 80 applicants! AHHHH. I feel like I've read that other programs that I've applied to have around 100 applicants... not really sure. 

I think NYU has like 400. Glad I didn't apply there. I think NYC and anything within a 100 mile radius of NYC attracts the most number of applicants, unfortunately for me lol.

Do you guys ever wonder about the people who don't even come to GC? There must be so, so many qualified applicants out there who we haven't the slightest idea about. Scary.

US schools have Feb deadlines, for phd programs? I also have 2 or 3 due on Jan 15th, which already feels very late, given that decisions come so soon in Feb mostly.

Latte, would like to be more even-headed and I know from previous posts this is a competitive forum so to speak, but I'm feeling quite in freakout mode already. Realizing I made some silly mistakes on some of my key docs in the application, this is not going to turn out well.

Late reply, but: nope, the February 15th date is for a master's program. I was going to apply to their PhD program due on January 15th, but turns out they actually won't accept applications for their PhD without a master's already. But maybe they just do things a bit different. It's the only other school I'm interested in in Florida though, and the fee is pretty low, so I think I still might apply (if I'm not totally unmotivated by this time next month).

And of course it's now the 14th and I'm finishing up a couple apps due the 15th. One's done but it says not to submit until the LoR's are in, and one of mine isn't, so I'm holding off. The other requires you to fulfill an assistant application with it that I still have to do, and I want to apply for their diversity scholarship but that's due all together, ugh. And working on apps makes me go, "Ah, I haven't checked gradcafe in a while."

One of the schools I applied to *might* start notifying at the end of this week if they follow the same schedule as last year. Needless to say, my stomach is in knots!

Which school is this? It looks like the top schools in Soc drag it out until the end of the month!

I officially submitted to all 11 of my schools in December. I felt confident about my materials and I wanted to have them all in rather than waiting for my schools with January deadlines and dragging it out  

I failed to consider that I've now been done for a full month and have extended this tortuous waiting period.

But some of my programs started to notify on February 1st.  Counting down the days. 

So from my list of 10 schools I ended up applying to 6 of them and I feel done now. Now waiting will seem even worse, but I'm hoping to hear back from a couple at the end of January or the beginning of February (just in time to ruin my birthday with a rejection letter, probably).

I made a list of all my schools and the ranges for when they sent out acceptances and rejections based on the Results Search. Unfortunately, it looks like Valentine's day might be a bad day if I'm rejected from a few of the schools I applied to.

The sentence from the NCSU email reads, "We have received about 80 applications this year and will be admitting 12 to 15 students with a full funding package." So, it sounds like it may even be less than that.

In comparison to top ranked programs, that is definitely a low number. For example, Michigan averages about 268 applicants per year and enrolls around 10 of those (source: https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/academic_information/program_statistics/program.php?id=96 ). 

Has anyone received the call from the grad student who sent the email? She seemed nice and mature. Just want to know already!

Hey everyone, I wanted to shoot some questions at you all in regard to PhD Sociology programs.  I am finishing my Master's in Political Science, with political theory and international relations as my foci.  I have a 3.7 cum GPA, and a 3.89 major GPA.  I scored in the middle range on the GRE (but I could care less to be frank), and I am an older applicant at 42.  That said, I have a lot of life experience, teaching experience, several pieces published (both journalism and one academic article), and I have presented at three conferences.  If I am switching to Sociology, with my major focus being on historical sociology and Marxism, does an applicant like myself stand a chance?  I'm applying to Binghamton University (where I have had great communications with potential advisors), UW for Geography, and Virginia Tech in the ASPECT program.  How competitive is Sociology this year I wonder?  

hello all,

just got an email from brown saying that they've begun reviewing applications and expect to send out decisions in late feb!! 

Hi All,

I got a similar email from Stanford saying they expect to send results out in a month. (Wondering whether this says anything about how many applicants they got this year since last year they started notifying on February 1 - any opinions?)

LesSoc- I received an e-mail from the graduate student at NC State and communicated with her VIA e-mail due to my work schedule. In addition, with consent, she passed my e-mail along to another graduate student within the Socy of Food and Environment program area. They have been incredibly helpful!!  

LesSoc- I received an e-mail from the graduate student at NC State and communicated with her VIA e-mail due to my work schedule. In addition, with consent, she passed my e-mail along to another graduate student within the Socy of Food and Environment program area. They have been incredibly helpful!!  

Nice! Yeah, I agree with you - NCSU sociology has been nothing but helpful!!! Exciting times.