Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

I'm applying for F14 and I'm working on rec letter writers.  I've been out of school for a while and have two professors lined up to write letters.  Should I get a third or should I use a former/current employer?

My problem so far is finding programs that are a good fit. I've found two great ones so far: NYU (Eric Klinenberg and Harvey Molotch) and Yale (Jeffrey Alexander and Ron Eyerman). Other than that, all the programs I've looked into so far seem to be a bit of a stretch. Most departments with a focus in urban sociology seem to be tackling inequality and poverty; these issues would definitely come up in my research, but they aren't at the forefront. So, am I being too picky? Or should I be finding multiple programs that are as good a fit as I feel NYU and Yale are? Does anyone know of programs/specific scholars whose research sounds similar to my interests?

I would say that you should definitely apply to more than just Yale and NYU; Yale is selective and NYU might have the lowest acceptance rate in the country.  I think perhaps you are approaching the "fit" issue a bit too narrowly and that you might need to be more creative in seeing how different advisors would serve your interests.  For instance, you said your interests are more cultural, so you might be able to find a cultural sociologist who could support your research, even if they aren't doing the exact "topic" you are interested in.  And, the same with environmental sociologists - they may be tackling similar issues but from a different perspective.  If your interests are a bit unique, it would be worth contacting some of these professors who may not be a perfect fit, just to see if they would be interested.  They might even have other professors to recommend to you, who knows.  If you do have people you want to work with (ie - the Yale and NYU folks), reach out to them first, of course. 

It might serve you well to post a new thread asking about advice on programs/professors for your interests, as I think you might get better responses rather than becoming buried in this big thread.

I would say that you should definitely apply to more than just Yale and NYU; Yale is selective and NYU might have the lowest acceptance rate in the country.  I think perhaps you are approaching the "fit" issue a bit too narrowly and that you might need to be more creative in seeing how different advisors would serve your interests.  For instance, you said your interests are more cultural, so you might be able to find a cultural sociologist who could support your research, even if they aren't doing the exact "topic" you are interested in.  And, the same with environmental sociologists - they may be tackling similar issues but from a different perspective.  If your interests are a bit unique, it would be worth contacting some of these professors who may not be a perfect fit, just to see if they would be interested.  They might even have other professors to recommend to you, who knows.  If you do have people you want to work with (ie - the Yale and NYU folks), reach out to them first, of course. 

It might serve you well to post a new thread asking about advice on programs/professors for your interests, as I think you might get better responses rather than becoming buried in this big thread.

will do. thanks for the advice!

those are definitely my top two, but i am by no means just applying to those two. i highly doubt i will get into either of those. also on the list are: harvard, university of washington, brown, and duke.

Hello!

I will be applying for PHD programs in Sociology this fall. I will be leaving soon for a Fulbright research grant to China, and am focusing on finding programs that have some kind of emphasis on East Asia. From talking with people, I've heard that Johns Hopkins and Indiana have faculty focusing on China, but if anyone has advice, please let me know!

It's going to be a fun application season--let's begin!

At Michigan, Yu Xie is a superstar and is active in China.  There a very engaged Center for Chinese Studies, so lots of resources for students doing work overseas.  Looking at their website, looks like lots of students doing dissertations on Chinese topics.

At Michigan, Yu Xie is a superstar and is active in China.  There a very engaged Center for Chinese Studies, so lots of resources for students doing work overseas.  Looking at their website, looks like lots of students doing dissertations on Chinese topics.

Thank you!

On another note: how important are visit days? I am going to be overseas until June, and am wondering about not being able to attend visit days for admitted students?

Adding to this thread kind of late.  I'm currently working on my MA in Sociology at the University of South Florida.  My broad research interests are the sociology of food, family, and consumer culture.  My new GRE scores were 84th percentile for verbal, 53rd for quant, and 96th for analytical writing.  My list of PhD programs currently looks like:

University of Florida

Florida International University

Michigan State University

North Caroline State University

Portland State University

University of Oregon

Boston College

Brandeis University

I honestly have no idea what my top choice is.  Maybe Brandeis or Oregon?  I just want to get into one school with a decent funding package, so I'm trying not to set my hopes on any one school in particular.  Any thoughts on my chances?

Adding to this thread kind of late.  I'm currently working on my MA in Sociology at the University of South Florida.  My broad research interests are the sociology of food, family, and consumer culture.  My new GRE scores were 84th percentile for verbal, 53rd for quant, and 96th for analytical writing.  My list of PhD programs currently looks like:

University of Florida

Florida International University

Michigan State University

North Caroline State University

Portland State University

University of Oregon

Boston College

Brandeis University

I honestly have no idea what my top choice is.  Maybe Brandeis or Oregon?  I just want to get into one school with a decent funding package, so I'm trying not to set my hopes on any one school in particular.  Any thoughts on my chances?

What were your old GRE scores? I ask because mine are pretty similar to your new ones and I'm wondering if your old ones proved to be a problem in a different application cycle?

KrisOfSteel, I've only taken the new GRE so those are my only scores.  When I was applying to MA programs (actually, mostly joint MA/PhD programs) two years ago I really had no idea what was doing.  I decided kind of late that I wanted to go to grad school in the first place.  I did not get letters of recommendation from the right people.  I'm too embarassed to admit to some of the schools I applied to (top tier, way out of my league).  I was only accepted to one of the six schools that I applied to, University of South Florida, which is where I did my undergrad.  I'm really happy at USF and the MA program has been great, but obviously I can't do their PhD (that whole can't get 3 degrees from one school thing...).  My lack of success when applying for MA programs is making me pretty nervous for the PhD application process.

My undergrad GPA was 3.8, now as an MA it's at about 3.55 but I'm hoping it will go up this semester.  And I'm more confident in my letter writers this time.  But still, pretty nervous about this whole process.

Hello!

I will be applying for PHD programs in Sociology this fall. I will be leaving soon for a Fulbright research grant to China, and am focusing on finding programs that have some kind of emphasis on East Asia. From talking with people, I've heard that Johns Hopkins and Indiana have faculty focusing on China, but if anyone has advice, please let me know!

It's going to be a fun application season--let's begin!

It depends on what exactly you want to look at in China, but I would highly recommend looking into Cornell 

Hi everyone,

Currently slogging thorough the applications process form NZ, struggling to find some 'safety' MA programmes to look into. My research focus is on post-disaster social contingency and looking into alternative cultural knowledge sources for recovery. My top choices are Madison (however unlikely) and CSU, not sure about the others yet. Waiting on GRE scores but I'm hoping having been awarded a prestigious national scholarship for study next year will help my chances. Good luck everyone, if there's any recommendations people have for more disaster research skewed sociology centres please let me know, I feel like I've spent hours and hours researching and still don't have a clue what programmes are suitable save the two mentioned.

Stats-

- GPA 3.69

- GRE- TBC  however, averaged in the low to mid 160s for practice tests

- Scholarship to study at an American University of my choice

- Very supportive LoRs

Edited by carlu438

KrisOfSteel, I've only taken the new GRE so those are my only scores.  When I was applying to MA programs (actually, mostly joint MA/PhD programs) two years ago I really had no idea what was doing.  I decided kind of late that I wanted to go to grad school in the first place.  I did not get letters of recommendation from the right people.  I'm too embarassed to admit to some of the schools I applied to (top tier, way out of my league).  I was only accepted to one of the six schools that I applied to, University of South Florida, which is where I did my undergrad.  I'm really happy at USF and the MA program has been great, but obviously I can't do their PhD (that whole can't get 3 degrees from one school thing...).  My lack of success when applying for MA programs is making me pretty nervous for the PhD application process.

My undergrad GPA was 3.8, now as an MA it's at about 3.55 but I'm hoping it will go up this semester.  And I'm more confident in my letter writers this time.  But still, pretty nervous about this whole process.

Ohhhhh I misread your post. By "new GRE scores" I was thinking you meant new because it was your second or third time taking the GRE. You meant new GRE vs. old GRE format. SORRY!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Currently slogging thorough the applications process form NZ, struggling to find some 'safety' MA programmes to look into. My research focus is on post-disaster social contingency and looking into alternative cultural knowledge sources for recovery. My top choices are Madison (however unlikely) and CSU, not sure about the others yet. Waiting on GRE scores but I'm hoping having been awarded a prestigious national scholarship for study next year will help my chances. Good luck everyone, if there's any recommendations people have for more disaster research skewed sociology centres please let me know, I feel like I've spent hours and hours researching and still don't have a clue what programmes are suitable save the two mentioned.

Stats-

- GPA 3.69

- GRE- TBC  however, averaged in the low to mid 160s for practice tests

- Scholarship to study at an American University of my choice

- Very supportive LoRs

Have you looked into NYU (Eric Klinenberg specifically?)...he sounds like a great fit for your interests.

Hi everyone,

I am an international student and this is my second time applying. I am interested in ethnic mobilization and class analysis from a comparative-historical perspective. My undergrad GPA is abysmal (under 3.0), my masters GPA is 3.81. I recently retook the GRE, I think my score is okay (at least for an international): V: 160, Q: 168. I have 3 three publications of which only one is in English, and I have a 6-month research experience. My TOEFL score was real bad especially on the speaking section, so I will soon take IELTS instead.

Here are the schools I plan to apply for: Wisconsin-Madison, JHU, Minnesota-Twin Cities, U of Washington (or UCLA, I'm not sure yet), Pittsburgh, Binghamton, and Illinois Urbana.

Some advice might be helpful right now. What do you think about the schools in my list? Do I seem like a good fit? Or, am I aiming too high? I want to apply either Washington or UCLA. Which one do you suggest considering my research interests and credentials?

Thanks and good luck to you all.

Hi everyone,

I am an international student and this is my second time applying. I am interested in ethnic mobilization and class analysis from a comparative-historical perspective. My undergrad GPA is abysmal (under 3.0), my masters GPA is 3.81. I recently retook the GRE, I think my score is okay (at least for an international): V: 160, Q: 168. I have 3 three publications of which only one is in English, and I have a 6-month research experience. My TOEFL score was real bad especially on the speaking section, so I will soon take IELTS instead.

Here are the schools I plan to apply for: Wisconsin-Madison, JHU, Minnesota-Twin Cities, U of Washington (or UCLA, I'm not sure yet), Pittsburgh, Binghamton, and Illinois Urbana.

Some advice might be helpful right now. What do you think about the schools in my list? Do I seem like a good fit? Or, am I aiming too high? I want to apply either Washington or UCLA. Which one do you suggest considering my research interests and credentials?

Thanks and good luck to you all.

I've been told that UW is a very quantitative-focused school so qualitative research might be a little bit more difficult. I'm not sure how UCLA compares though.

Hello everyone, 

I was just sitting here, doing working for my first quarter of grad school, and I started thinking about what I was doing at this time last year. Basically, I was doing what you all are doing now, so I figured I'd swing by and share my experience. 

The grad application process didn't work out for me how I hoped. Because this is anonymous, I'll set aside modesty and say I was a "very competitive" application. My GPA was almost perfect, I had about two years of research experience in areas relevant to what I was proposing to study in grad school, and my GRE scores were fairly high (V 91rst percentile, Q 76th, W 96th). 

However, my partner was also applying to residency programs. Although she was also a top candidate, it was difficult to find well-ranked programs in the same city. I think I applied to three top ten programs (Yale, UC Berkeley, and UCLA). I didn't get accepted to either UC and I got wait listed at Yale. However, she had to submit her choices for residencies by Feb 18th, so only programs I had heard back from by then were even an option. I had only heard back from two, and they were both something of "safety" schools. 

My pride was crushed, and I was heartbroken. I went through a period of mourning. Dreams of Berkeley slipped away, and I felt doomed to second tier status for the rest of my life. I didn't cry, but honestly, I felt like it. 

Then life went on. 

I wish things had worked out differently, but they didn't, and I'm still happy. Going to a top program is like a gold star on your CV, but there are lots of benefits to going to a lower ranked program. For example, I'm at a program ranked around 30, and pretty much all of the faculty graduated from elite programs. So, although many of those in my cohort are perhaps less "hardcore" of academics than you'll find at the elite schools, I am still surrounded by people who attended the elite schools, and there is less competition to work with them. I'm in my first quarter, and I've already had several faculty members express interest in doing research with me. My mentor takes all the time in the world with me, talking not only about research, but about life as an academic in general. Also, for those of you who have strong academic records who don't get into top programs, you will be much more competitive for internal funding that will free you from having to TA so much, which will give you time to do research, which will make you more competitive for external money, and so on. 

Also, although some grads of top programs get placed at top programs, most don't. Most go to lower ranked programs and try to work their way back. Likewise, I probably won't be placed at a top program upon graduation. But what I do after that will determine whether or not I work my way back in. There is a self-selecting aspect to graduate placements. Most of the people from my program don't get placed in R1 jobs. But most of them don't WANT to work at an R1, so it's not really a failure of my program. 

There are definitely drawbacks. I don't have that gold star on my NSF GRFP proposal, for example. I'm not saying I am glad things worked out this way. I'm just saying that I'm still getting paid 25,000 per year, plus a tuition waiver, to earn two different graduate degrees. That comes out to over $1000 per week to do something I love. 

I'm not at Berkeley. I didn't get a gold star. But life is still good. 

Hello everyone, 

I was just sitting here, doing working for my first quarter of grad school, and I started thinking about what I was doing at this time last year. Basically, I was doing what you all are doing now, so I figured I'd swing by and share my experience. 

The grad application process didn't work out for me how I hoped. Because this is anonymous, I'll set aside modesty and say I was a "very competitive" application. My GPA was almost perfect, I had about two years of research experience in areas relevant to what I was proposing to study in grad school, and my GRE scores were fairly high (V 91rst percentile, Q 76th, W 96th). 

However, my partner was also applying to residency programs. Although she was also a top candidate, it was difficult to find well-ranked programs in the same city. I think I applied to three top ten programs (Yale, UC Berkeley, and UCLA). I didn't get accepted to either UC and I got wait listed at Yale. However, she had to submit her choices for residencies by Feb 18th, so only programs I had heard back from by then were even an option. I had only heard back from two, and they were both something of "safety" schools. 

My pride was crushed, and I was heartbroken. I went through a period of mourning. Dreams of Berkeley slipped away, and I felt doomed to second tier status for the rest of my life. I didn't cry, but honestly, I felt like it. 

Then life went on. 

I wish things had worked out differently, but they didn't, and I'm still happy. Going to a top program is like a gold star on your CV, but there are lots of benefits to going to a lower ranked program. For example, I'm at a program ranked around 30, and pretty much all of the faculty graduated from elite programs. So, although many of those in my cohort are perhaps less "hardcore" of academics than you'll find at the elite schools, I am still surrounded by people who attended the elite schools, and there is less competition to work with them. I'm in my first quarter, and I've already had several faculty members express interest in doing research with me. My mentor takes all the time in the world with me, talking not only about research, but about life as an academic in general. Also, for those of you who have strong academic records who don't get into top programs, you will be much more competitive for internal funding that will free you from having to TA so much, which will give you time to do research, which will make you more competitive for external money, and so on. 

Also, although some grads of top programs get placed at top programs, most don't. Most go to lower ranked programs and try to work their way back. Likewise, I probably won't be placed at a top program upon graduation. But what I do after that will determine whether or not I work my way back in. There is a self-selecting aspect to graduate placements. Most of the people from my program don't get placed in R1 jobs. But most of them don't WANT to work at an R1, so it's not really a failure of my program. 

There are definitely drawbacks. I don't have that gold star on my NSF GRFP proposal, for example. I'm not saying I am glad things worked out this way. I'm just saying that I'm still getting paid 25,000 per year, plus a tuition waiver, to earn two different graduate degrees. That comes out to over $1000 per week to do something I love. 

I'm not at Berkeley. I didn't get a gold star. But life is still good. 

THIS. I think we should all try to keep this in mind. I know I am particularly struggling with the crippling self-doubt and what-ifs, but life will go on and we can find ways to be happy with whatever happens.

• 2 weeks later...

UGH.

guys.

I can't anymore.
Can it be January/February already?
This process has made my life very difficult. I can count on one hand the amount of times a day I think about something other than grad school and my future regarding it.

I haven't even sent in applications and yet I keep checking emails as though some miracle will happen and I'll.... Idk what I am even thinking tbh lmao, like I'll get discovered or something bahahaha. It's really weird now that I am writing it down.

I just wanna shout out to all of us. This process isn't easy, and I think everyone wins by just going through it. I really really hope each and every one of us gets at least one good placement with good funding. Fingers crossed!

Just a heads up to all new applicants, take care of yourselves. This is not the time to create extra stresses in your lives. While the application process itself is pretty taxing, the waiting period is worse. For those of you who are applying for the first time, my advice is to find something interesting and engaging to do in the meantime; do something you've always wanted to do, start learning a new language, pick up programming, hit the gym or pick up a camera and take some photos.

Nothing will completely take away the anxiety and the thoughts but it is crucial that you find a healthy outlet during this time. Extreme anxiety typically leads to short and long term physical health problems as well so take extra care of your health. 

In my experience, this process takes its toll on every facet of your daily life, including your interpersonal relationships and mental state. Take care when dealing with those close to you and try to be aware of your emotional and mental state daily. Yes, most people around you won't know what you're going through or may not completely understand the stresses involved but it's on you to try and remain calm.

The next 4-5 months of your lives will be stressful but think of it this way: how much will you be thinking about this whole process next year this time? in two years? five years? Fact is, most of you will get in some place, some won't. But no matter what happens, life goes on. So, try to remain present and take things one day at a time.

I wish you all the best.

Edited by cultsoc

Hey all! My first applications are due December 1 so I might as well make my first post in this forum I've be stalking the last few weeks.

I've got decent GRE scores (87% percentile on V & Q, 50% on writing), 3.6 overall GPA, 3.9 major(s) GPA, summa cum laude for gender studies and also majored in psychology. Only took a few sociology classes though, which went towards my gender studies BA. I volunteered in some psychology labs during senior year and had to drop all but one when I started working, so the one I'm still in I suppose it's been nearly a year now. Most of my research experience was probably for my thesis, but it was archival / literary with an English professor advisor, so not super relevant.

I really don't even know what rank list people are looking at in terms of top tier, second tier, etc. and I'm not sure I actually want to know because I don't need more to be worried about. I know some of the programs I'm applying to are more competitive than others, but I chose them more based on having programs that fit my interest in gender and sexualities, and located somewhere I wouldn't mind spending several years or where I already know people.

My current list, all PhD programs: University of Chicago, Northwestern, Boston University, SUNY Albany, University of Florida, University of South Florida. I'm also applying to five more programs that are mixes of psychology, gender studies, PhD and master's programs.

The hardest part for me right now is working two part-time, barely above minimum wage jobs at the moment leaving not much time, energy, nor money to apply to grad school. Oh well. I hope one I get the first few applications in that the rest won't be as hard. And the statements of purpose and/or personal statements have been the things that bother me the most! They're so hard to write. I also need to get my writing sample ready. I want to use my gender studies honors thesis, but that's 39 pages or so, so I was hoping I could just take out part of it to use.

I actually started scoping out this forum wondering if I even had a chance at getting in these places, but what I've seen gives me hope that it's competitive, but doable. And I really just have to get accepted into one, right? So hopefully that happens.

Edited by meowth

Hi everyone! Greetings from China!

Looks like I'm out of the running this year. I retook the GREs and things are not looking good. 1st attempt: 154 Q/164 V  2nd Attempt: 161 Q/158  V. I'm disappointed in the verbal drop, but I barley speak any English where I'm living. Since many schools seem to be unwilling to consider multiple score sets, I'm going to try and stomach another retake after my Fulbright ends. Not looking forward to it at all!

Best of luck to everyone :)

Just submitted my one Sociology app. Though my work to this point has been in Media and Communication, I've been working on essentially sociological issues and found a programme that is qualitative in focus and feels right - so off the deep end I go...

Hi everyone! Greetings from China!

Looks like I'm out of the running this year. I retook the GREs and things are not looking good. 1st attempt: 154 Q/164 V  2nd Attempt: 161 Q/158  V. I'm disappointed in the verbal drop, but I barley speak any English where I'm living. Since many schools seem to be unwilling to consider multiple score sets, I'm going to try and stomach another retake after my Fulbright ends. Not looking forward to it at all!

Best of luck to everyone :)

I don't think those scores are bad enough to not apply at all. 81 percentile, 78 percentile, still means that you're doing better than about 80% of the people taking the GRE. Just from looking around the forum there seems to be people getting into programs with lower scores than that, or at least, not getting ruled out immediately without looking at what else you have to offer. I hope that's not the only thing stopping you.