Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

I keep feeling like I'm done already but I still have two applications due the 15th, one on Feb 1st, and on the 15th.

It's like, "Ah, isn't three enough...?" Except of course I won't find out about any of them until probably all the rest are due.

Just wanted to join in on the fun!

I graduated last Fall with a BA in Sociology/Anthropology with a minor in English. Finished all my apps to UT Austin, UC-Berkeley, McGill, UToronto, Cornell, UMD-College Park & Sam Houston. To be honest, I didn't so well on my GREs and I'm praying that I get into at least one school! When do decisions start coming out???

Just wanted to join in on the fun!

I graduated last Fall with a BA in Sociology/Anthropology with a minor in English. Finished all my apps to UT Austin, UC-Berkeley, McGill, UToronto, Cornell, UMD-College Park & Sam Houston. To be honest, I didn't so well on my GREs and I'm praying that I get into at least one school! When do decisions start coming out???

In my experience, U of T's Soc department notifies first-round picks, aptly, shortly after Valentine's Day.

Scope the Results Search on this forum for your specific schools to get an idea of what to expect when you're expecting (results).

Warning: The Results Search page will eat your life/self-esteem if you are not cautious.

Good luck!

I keep feeling like I'm done already but I still have two applications due the 15th, one on Feb 1st, and on the 15th.

It's like, "Ah, isn't three enough...?" Except of course I won't find out about any of them until probably all the rest are due.

US schools have Feb deadlines, for phd programs? I also have 2 or 3 due on Jan 15th, which already feels very late, given that decisions come so soon in Feb mostly.

Latte, would like to be more even-headed and I know from previous posts this is a competitive forum so to speak, but I'm feeling quite in freakout mode already. Realizing I made some silly mistakes on some of my key docs in the application, this is not going to turn out well.

Edited by breaks0

US schools have Feb deadlines, for phd programs? I also have 2 or 3 due on Jan 15th, which already feels very late, given that decisions come so soon in Feb mostly.

Latte, would like to be more even-headed and I know from previous posts this is a competitive forum so to speak, but I'm feeling quite in freakout mode already. Realizing I made some silly mistakes on some of my key docs in the application, this is not going to turn out well.

I hear you! The waiting is the pits!!! My application due dates were Dec 1, 15, Jan 1, 5, 9 and then the last one is Feb 1. DYING TO KNOW, holding my breathe waiting to hear from my top choice.  :unsure:

Guys, ONE application left. Just one. Feel so close. I almost don't wanna hand it in cause then I really just have to wait. 
Aaaaaah. I wish I had retaken the GRE. 

Today is a "I am not gonna get in anywhere" day. Hopefully tomorrow is the opposite.
One day at a time. :D

Guys, ONE application left. Just one. Feel so close. I almost don't wanna hand it in cause then I really just have to wait. 

Aaaaaah. I wish I had retaken the GRE. 

Today is a "I am not gonna get in anywhere" day. Hopefully tomorrow is the opposite.

One day at a time. :D

I wish I had retaken the GRE but I'm not sure I would've had enough time to prepare and get a much higher score. Will definitely be retaking if I'm not accepted this round.

I wish I had retaken the GRE but I'm not sure I would've had enough time to prepare and get a much higher score. Will definitely be retaking if I'm not accepted this round.

Your GRE scores are fine. :P

But yes, I agree that there certainly wasn't enough time to retake and do significantly better. Especially in the Quant section since I definitely needed to use a whole different approach of preparation.

I do have a looming suspicion, however, that my Verbal would have increased had I given it another go and not let the stess of 3 Quant sections affect my final verbal performance.

Your GRE scores are fine. :P

But yes, I agree that there certainly wasn't enough time to retake and do significantly better. Especially in the Quant section since I definitely needed to use a whole different approach of preparation.

I do have a looming suspicion, however, that my Verbal would have increased had I given it another go and not let the stess of 3 Quant sections affect my final verbal performance.

That is exactly how I feel. My verbal is alright but I know it would've been higher if I hadn't essentially given up halfway through due to my inadequacy on the quant sections. Since I basically used existing knowledge for the quant, I would probably not stress on those and focus on doing really well on the verbal...if I have to retake it. And hopefully I won't.

This may be a silly question (sorry, I'm new to the grad school/Master's/Ph.D process), but it seems like a lot of you are already Master's students who are applying for Ph.d programs.

Are there any of you who are undergraduate seniors applying for their Master's or a Master's/Ph.D program (UC Berkeley is an example, I believe)? I may have missed some posts, some of the information wasn't clear enough, or I'm not knowledgeable enough about the process yet.

And if you are one, have you done any research that was serious enough to be published before application season? Because I don't see how it's possible to have a CV when you're just an undergrad.

Thank you! :)

This may be a silly question (sorry, I'm new to the grad school/Master's/Ph.D process), but it seems like a lot of you are already Master's students who are applying for Ph.d programs.

Are there any of you who are undergraduate seniors applying for their Master's or a Master's/Ph.D program (UC Berkeley is an example, I believe)? I may have missed some posts, some of the information wasn't clear enough, or I'm not knowledgeable enough about the process yet.

And if you are one, have you done any research that was serious enough to be published before application season? Because I don't see how it's possible to have a CV when you're just an undergrad.

Thank you! :)

I am not a senior in UG, however, I only graduated May 2013 and shortly after began the application process, so perhaps I can shed some light.

The short version: you can always have a CV.

It's a place to boast about anything you shine at, but also as importantly almost, a place to mention your research interests. I have an entire block of a section dedicated to this. You don't need a publication to have a CV. Have you presented any papers at your own school? At some sort of a UG research event perhaps? Even if you haven't written anything that's "publishable" by your definition, you must have done research enough to want to do it for 5 more years. What research did you do, what papers did you write? Talk about them. If you have time, go ahead and submit them somewhere. There's a "Publication Under Review" right there. Have you tutored? There is a teaching experience. Just paint the most desirable picture of yourself that you can based on what you have accomplished, rather than worry about what else you may have accomplished.  :)

Hi everyone! I just wanted to add my background to the forum. I think it'll be nice to have some people who are going through this process too! I am an undergraduate senior double majoring in Sociology and African American Studies with a minor in Education. I am applying to Sociology programs with an interest in race and the institution of schooling in America. 

The schools I have applied to are:

Emory

Georgia State

Duke

UNC - Chapel Hill

University of Maryland - College Park

Texas A&M

Princeton

Ohio State

I am new to the entire PhD process as I am the first person in my family to pursue higher education. I look forward to being apart of this forum though!

I know how you feel! My advisor suggested that I retake it last month, but I told him I just didn't have the energy to do so since I was super busy. I'm going to follow the same route as you! If I don't get in this season, I'm going to start again this semester and hopefully, better scores! Good luck!

I know how you feel! My advisor suggested that I retake it last month, but I told him I just didn't have the energy to do so since I was super busy. I'm going to follow the same route as you! If I don't get in this season, I'm going to start again this semester and hopefully, better scores! Good luck!

Thanks! Hopefully, for the both of us, it doesn't come down to that.

Thanks! Hopefully, for the both of us, it doesn't come down to that.

Haha! He told me himself, he bombed the GREs...TWICE and still got into a great Master's program at Ohio University then he finished his PhD at McGill! Hoping for the best. All the professors at my department were telling me not to sweat it out. One of the adjuncts who's doing their PhD said it all comes down to the whole package. Which I hope is the case! I really have a great relationship with the Sociology professors at my old school. It's come the point where I'm thinking of taking a graduate class in social science methods to ease the nerves of waiting!!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Haha! He told me himself, he bombed the GREs...TWICE and still got into a great Master's program at Ohio University then he finished his PhD at McGill! Hoping for the best. All the professors at my department were telling me not to sweat it out. One of the adjuncts who's doing their PhD said it all comes down to the whole package. Which I hope is the case! I really have a great relationship with the Sociology professors at my old school. It's come the point where I'm thinking of taking a graduate class in social science methods to ease the nerves of waiting!!!!! GOOD LUCK!

I'll probably think about taking some classes at a local community college if I'm not accepted this year. Maybe a foreign language class or some sociology courses just for fun. Good luck!

I am done. I submitted all my apps. I am done. Yeah. I am gonna go hibernate until March now. :o

Congrats!!!! I'll be honest and I'm starting to have nightmares about decisions! Just this morning, I woke up super early because I got rejected from UT-Austin's Soc program and instead got into their Pokemon Master PhD program... Weirdest dream ever! And why oh why do decisions have to come so late in January?!?! I was looking at the submission forum a lot of programs have gotten back to the applicants!!!! By the way, I really feel that playing Pokemon after graduation last month is making brain cells die every minute... FUDGE MONKEYS!!!!!!!!! Lol.

Congrats on being done! I am sure ADD MOST COMMON QUOTE FROM 

I still have three applications to go - but I will wait another week or so before I get back to them.

By the way - this might be the week the first schools send out results!?  :huh:  But none of those I applied to  :D

Congrats!!!! I'll be honest and I'm starting to have nightmares about decisions! Just this morning, I woke up super early because I got rejected from UT-Austin's Soc program and instead got into their Pokemon Master PhD program... Weirdest dream ever! And why oh why do decisions have to come so late in January?!?! I was looking at the submission forum a lot of programs have gotten back to the applicants!!!! By the way, I really feel that playing Pokemon after graduation last month is making brain cells die every minute... FUDGE MONKEYS!!!!!!!!! Lol.

Thanks and ROFLMAO. Like I can't even. I am dying. Hahahahha. I have had those kinds of dreams before, about finals and stuff. Not about Grad School yet, but I completely understand what it must have felt like waking up that morning. hahahaha.

Congrats on being done! I am sure ADD MOST COMMON QUOTE FROM 

I still have three applications to go - but I will wait another week or so before I get back to them.

By the way - this might be the week the first schools send out results!?  :huh:  But none of those I applied to  :D

Hahaha @Sh*it People Say.

How late are your deadlines anyway if you can wait another week before completing? :o

Did you end up applying to any of the programs we discussed?

I think one of my programs sends out late Jan acceptances. Bulk is in Feb. There are few rebellious March ones.

Edited by SocGirl2013