Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

I ended up changing my mind about a few schools so now I'm almost exclusively applying to Sociology programs save for a Women's Studies masters program at my alma mater and a one-of-a-kind Women's Studies & Psychology PhD program. And I've applied to one sociology program so far, PhD at my alma mater.

I'm trying to get my application for University of Chicago in today because it's due on the 10th and I'm working all day tomorrow. It's quite intimidating though! But I'm glad I have a couple statements under my belt already so I don't have to start this one from scratch.

And then I decided against all the programs that had apps due on the 15th, so at least it seems like I'll have a break in due dates until January 15th unless I find some other programs to apply to. But even then, I couldn't try for anything earlier than January 1st or so and still have time (at least for transcripts and LORs to be sent).

I did end up looking up the ranks for programs too and using them to weigh whether or not I apply. Like Northwestern was a top ten program AND I didn't feel like I was a good fit, so I decided not to waste my time and money. (Different than U of C which is high ranked but I really, really like the program and at least one particular professor there.)

Hope everyone else is doing well with their applications.

Just for the sake of having posted it somewhere...

Interest: Cultural and Economic Sociology (In particular their intersection.)

Schools on my apply-to list:

Stanford

Duke

Chicago

Northwestern

Michigan, Ann Arbor

Columbia

Princeton

(Cornell)

(The criterion for getting on the list was an expected rejection so I don't have to leave Europe. ;) )

GRE(V/Q/A): low 90%/ mid 80%/ high 70%

TOEFL: waste of my money (Maybe I should have taken a prep course so I could get the 120 and spend some more.)

I haven't contacted any faculty but just realized that one of the professors I'd like to work with is a currently fellow at an institute close by - should I contact him?

Hope everyone's applications are coming well. :)

My application season isn't until Winter of 2014 for the following year, but I thought I'd post up my stats as an introduction:

Mid-Level UC School

Sociology Major, Certificate in Business, Economy & Organizations

Statistics & International Studies Minors

(Formerly Pre-Med, so a lot of coursework in Biology, so some of my social interests can be anthropological in nature)

<2.5 GPA 

No GRE yet

Extensive overseas experience as an Army medic, largely informs my perspective and research ideas

No research under my belt, but I'm working on a couple papers 

Active in minority and military advocacy 

Interests include: Small group theory, Neo-institutionalism, Economic Sociology and Military Sociology (with small interests in gender, anthropology, race & ethnicity)

Schools I am eyeballing:

University of Maryland, College Park

Harvard

MIT Sloan School

Columbia

Cornell

UCSF 
Stanford

Berkeley

Chicago

UCSD

UCLA

Admittedly, my largest weakness is my GPA. It's extraordinarily low. A large part of it was the poor transition from Soldier to Scholar. I'm fairly confident that this year and my last year of school will reflect my true potential, as I've begun seeking appropriate treatment for my mental war wounds. Nonetheless, my GPA is a source of anxiety.

I want to use my military experience as an overall strength: Having been on the front lines of American foreign policy, I wanted to know what structural forces created the common behavior among troops, the tribes of Iraq and if the Iraqi economy will become robust again. This last part is particularly interesting because I want to apply Sociological understanding to Economics (if I had enough time, I would probably pursue a third minor in Econ! I'll have to settle with some intro courses.)

Things I will be doing in the next year to strengthen my application:

1) Cultivating relations with individuals who will offer good LoRs

2) Study my ass off for the GRE

3) Start working out so I can build stamina for the GRE :)

4) Either have one of my research papers published or participate in another professor's research

5) Dig deep into the literature of schools I'm interested in

How important is it to have a publication under your belt if you are six months out of college, and have been doing research with professors all through your undergrad? My academic profile is pretty good, but i dont have  a publication. 

Edited by VLog

Hardly anyone will have publications under their belt, during the application season.  Your writing sample is going to be critical, but generally folk submit their honors thesis or an exceptional paper from a class.

Feedback please!

I am applying to NC state for a PHD in Sociology with a focus on food and environment. I graduated from both high school and college with the honor of Magna cum Laude. I graduated from UNCC with a BA in Sociology; 3.73 overall GPA and 3.86 GPA within Sociology. I have a strong statement of purpose that may not include a history of publications or heavy research. More however, it clearly states my goals and experiences of working within the food industry for 10 years- around various cultures and classes. I have strong letters of recommendations, including one written from the chair of the department. However, I have poor GRE scores. I have applied to an MA program as well- but I am for certain that NC state is the program and school that I want to be involved in. 

Just out of curiosity- would my GRE scores really offset my chances of being admitted? 

Thank you for your feedback, in advance. 

Hi LatteArt! I also applied to NC State, it's my first choice! I attended their recruitment event in October and they said that scores are not the end all (thank goodness because mine stink!). They said that if you only have one thing (like scores) that are "low" and you have everything else great, then you are fine. Their new food and environment specialty sounds great! I am interested in their inequality specialty. Good luck!!! Maybe we'll be researching together!

Leslie

LesSoc!! That is a relief! I appreciate your input. Test taking is definitely not my strong point! However, I am confident that I will succeed in the Literature Review aspect of research :) Only two schools offer the concentration of Sociology of food and environment. Fingers crossed for the two of us- I will let you know if I hear anything from them! Inequality specialty is very interesting, as well!

I am considering contacting someone from the department and scheduling a meeting with them come january. Just so I can network, put myself out there, and get some answers. 

I got an e-mail inviting me to visit the Sociology department mid-January at my alma mater. I'm definitely going because it's really close (I still live in the city). I don't even know the sociology department because I've only taken a couple sociology classes and I didn't major in it either, so I think this is a great opportunity. (They have not accepted me or anything, just said they received my application.)

However, I was kind of wondering what I might expect, if anyone knows? The e-mail says I'll get a chance to meet with faculty, grad students, and staff, as well as have the opportunity to sit in on one or two seminars. I don't think this is an official interview or anything, but certainly I'll have to keep in mind what kind of impression I'll be making. So I'm just curious if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Hi, newby to this field though I've posted before and will make this short since I have 2 phd apps due tomorrow. I'm finishing an MA in politics at a grad school in New York and am basically trying to switch to sociology, focusing on Marxism, development, labor and social movements/contentious politics. I have a strong GPA from my grad school (3.86) a couple presentations and a publication in a foreign Marxism journal under my belt. But lots of things that make my apps weak, starting w/a very weak resume/skill set and terrible gre quant scores (why oh why didn't I retake it this past summer?), though my verbal and analytical are strong. I'm therefore very fearful I won't be getting in anywhere, my list of schools atm follows. Good luck everyone else too. May repost more info next week. Applying to: Berkeley, NYU, CUNY-GC, Wisconsin-Madison & Johns Hopkins. Probably also SUNY Binghamton and UC Irvine, as well as York U in political science.

Hi @meowth! It sounds a lot like the recruitment event I went to in October at NCSU. We had a full two day agenda where we listened to faculty panels, graduate student panels, were able to ask questions, and we toured the building where we would be researching if we're accepted. Definitely email any faculty who you're interested in working with and try to schedule a couple of minutes to introduce yourself and ask about their current projects.  Good luck!!

^^^^Does this program do formal interviews as part of their recruitment drive? If so, I'd suggest you learn as much about the department/program as you possibly can before you go to this event. Maybe read some of the faculty's recent publications and look up their graduate students for info on the type of research going on there.

If they do interviews, you will most likely be asked "why sociology? why this department/school? why do you think you'd be a good fit? what do you want to do after you graduate?" type questions. Do your homework, basically. If you have some research experience or a masters thesis, expect to be asked a few basic questions about what type of research you do and why you're interested in what you're interested in.

Expect to be wined and dined, and try to be chatty and social. Be polite and respectful of people's time and interest in you as an applicant. Don't be loud or obnoxious. Don't get into any theoretical/philosophical debates with anyone, even those you disagree with. Don't be a jerk.

Most importantly, have fun!

Now, if the program doesn't do interviews, and you know you're basically accepted and attending a "visitation weekend" type thing, then you can go ahead and ignore most of what I said above. Still though, be nice and try to learn as much about the department as you possibly can. The idea is to make the right decision for your future!

Good luck.

LesSoc & cultsoc,

They invited me after I applied (they said they were pleased to see my application) so I'm not sure if it's really a "recruiting" event, but I also haven't been accepted so it's not a "visitation weekend" either. They didn't mention anything about interviews, just "meeting with" people and sitting in on seminars. It's also on a Monday and a Tuesday a week into the new semester, so I'm not sure how that'll be working out. Maybe I'll get more info soon too since I've replied to the initial e-mail.

But I'll keep in mind all that you've said! Especially since I have NOT been accepted, I'm going to assume at least some sort of informal interview (even if that's just having a conversation with the professors) and do some more research into the program beforehand. First impressions and all that! Though luckily if I want to meet more with specific professors at a later time I probably can, since I live in town and hang out on campus (read: use their library computers) quite often. So it's not my only chance, but still a good opportunity.

I'm definitely looking forward to it, especially since I was worried about getting to explore any programs and this one is right here.

^ Most sociology programs don't do interviews. Visitation weekends are usually held over late February-late March. This sounds like an informal type invitation that's usually extended out to local students. In any case, try to have fun. Which other programs are you applying to?

Guess I'll throw my hat in the ring, since I just finished all my applications.

Applying to: UCLA, Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Princeton, Harvard, Columbia

GPA: 3.65, math major

GRE: 167 V / 170 Q / 5.0 W

Research experience: Quite a bit in math / economics

Sociology background: Not a lot - just one class and some outside reading

Already getting anxious to hear back!

Edited by riverscuomo

Finishing up my applications as well.  Excited to be moving to soc. - moving from MA in political science.  I'd like some feedback, if possible at how you think my chances might be at some of the places I'm applying.  I suppose I'm a bit self-conscious, like everyone I guess.

My "stats" - Grad. GPA: 3.8, U'Grad. GPA: 3.72

Verbal GRE: 164

Quant. GRE: 154

Areas of interest: Economic/Political Sociology - Globalization, Work & Orgs.

My List -

University of Arizona

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

Duke University

University of Texas, Austin

University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Yale University

University of Notre Dame

Indiana University, Bloomington

Vanderbilt University

University of Virginia

Florida State University

North Carolina State

Virginia Tech

Edited by Curiouslyoptimistic

^ Most sociology programs don't do interviews. Visitation weekends are usually held over late February-late March. This sounds like an informal type invitation that's usually extended out to local students. In any case, try to have fun. Which other programs are you applying to?

That sounds about right. They probably get a good number of people from town applying. (Still haven't gotten an e-mail back since I replied, but they're probably just out of town for break by now.)

I have an application in for University of Chicago, and I'm working ones on Boston University, SUNY Albany, and University of South Florida all due in January.

I also applied to one Psychology & Women's Studies program, U Michigan, and I'm considering applying to a social psychology Master's program but that's not even due until February. I also applied to my alma mater's Women's Studies Master's because the sociology profs I want to work with are all affiliated with Women's Studies too.

I hope that even though I'm only applying to 6 or 7 schools, that that's enough variety to have a chance. I think Chicago and USF consider applicants for their Master's programs too when they apply to the PhD programs, so that's cool.

Edited by meowth

i'd encourage you to keep quiet about your applications in different disciplines, should you get an interview/visitation invite to any of those programs. most adcomms are particularly wary of students who apply to a bunch of different fields. not saying there's anything wrong with that, but you might want to keep it to yourself to boost your chances of getting in.

Edited by cultsoc

Jumping in with no particular reason. 

International student. Political Science & Sociology double-major. 3.74 undergrad CGPA, 3.91 grad CGPA (master's in sociology). 

Toefl: 113

GRE: 161/161

No publications, only a presentation in an academic conference. 

Interests: Political soc, soc. of law, organizations

Applied to: Berkeley, Princeton, Michigan, Northwestern, Columbia - Sociology + Washington Political Sci. 

Considering applying to: UMass Political Sci