Older students?

NavyMom

If he did A-school at Great Lakes after boot camp, he may have crossed paths with my husband, who just finished a military training instructor billet there! Bless the Post-911 GI Bill, without it, I wouldn't likely BE an "older graduate student!" 

That's fantastic!  No he didn't stay in Great Lakes. He went to North Carolina for the Nuclear Power program.  He just finished C school in November, and is at Prototype now.  While on Christmas break, he proposed to his girlfriend (finally)!  Looking at a possible May wedding. :)  

Ah, planning weddings within military constraints. We had about five months from engagement to ceremony, as well! 

Exactly!  He's supposed to graduate from Prototype Mid-to-Late-May... so they are trying to schedule it around that time so when he gets his first official set of orders they will already be married and she'll be able to move with him wherever he's stationed.  Smart move for them. :)

I actually did move to Great Lakes with my husband four months before our wedding...wasn't eligible for a dependent ID, couldn't get on base, into the commissary or NEX unaccompanied, and we obviously didn't get dependent BAH those four months, but at least was able to live in housing.

I did wait until those orders were over to start grad school, though, because we didn't know how long we would be there, and I didn't want to start a program and have to transfer.  Good thing, as they didn't get renewed for anybody for longer than a year.  We are back on reserve status, now, which at least means staying put for a couple of years, and more than likely no deployments.

I'm so glad to have this thread, too, and glad to see so many new posts! I've begun a program this year and suspect that I am the oldest of my cohort (by about a generation). Our department encourages really close ties, but I have found it difficult so far because of the age difference--I don't get invited to a lot of private gatherings where unofficial dept. business gets discussed. Not to rule out the possibility that I am creepy, but I suspect the age difference is largely responsible. I remember feeling a bit awkward when I was their age and there was a couple around my age now in the program I was in then. It never occurred to me to invite them to hang out. Now I'm on the receiving end. Karma, I know, but any ideas about addressing this issue, or just dealing with it are welcome....

I'm so glad to have this thread, too, and glad to see so many new posts! I've begun a program this year and suspect that I am the oldest of my cohort (by about a generation). Our department encourages really close ties, but I have found it difficult so far because of the age difference--I don't get invited to a lot of private gatherings where unofficial dept. business gets discussed. Not to rule out the possibility that I am creepy, but I suspect the age difference is largely responsible. I remember feeling a bit awkward when I was their age and there was a couple around my age now in the program I was in then. It never occurred to me to invite them to hang out. Now I'm on the receiving end. Karma, I know, but any ideas about addressing this issue, or just dealing with it are welcome....

Can you invite out the youngins so they see you as a person to spend time with outside of the department?  Maybe then, they'll start inviting you.

I'm another "non-traditional" student at what feels (today) like an ancient 39 years old.  5 kids 18-12, with one already in college, a very patient husband, a mortgage, 2 cats, and a dog. No partridges in pear trees, but that could be due to the climate.  3 1/2 years ago I started essentially from scratch regarding higher education, and barring any serious complications will be graduating this spring with a BA in Sociology. 

I've been lucky in dealing with my younger cohorts.  I've been surrounded by (mostly) a great group of young people.  I admit to disliking group work, largely because I like to frontload, and that habit seems to be absent in many students...even the ones I've met that are similiar in age to myself.  But really...does ANYONE like group assignments?

Regarding friendships outside of class...I've socialized a bit with some of the young'uns, but find that their socializing hours generally conflict with family responsibilities.  My kids have full schedules which involve a great deal of running on my part, and DH has unpredictable hours.  I have had some really nice chats on campus between classes, and find that I'm pretty content with that.  

Anyway, really glad to see I'm not the only one feeling the age pinch...sometimes it sucks the big one.  One kid very kindly informed me I wasn't old enough to be his mom...she was born in '73....he didn't know I was born in '75.  :mellow:

Yeah, people who just don't like assignments. or working.

Because of my exacting nature, group projects generally don't work out well for me.

I have to say that one of the great things about grad school is that everyone pulls their weight in group projects!  It's SO nice not to be the one carrying the group anymore.  It's a joy to work with a group of students who are all smart, dedicated and who work hard.  At least that's been my experience so far after one semester of grad school, and two weeks into the second semester. 

I have to say that one of the great things about grad school is that everyone pulls their weight in group projects!  It's SO nice not to be the one carrying the group anymore.  It's a joy to work with a group of students who are all smart, dedicated and who work hard.  At least that's been my experience so far after one semester of grad school, and two weeks into the second semester.

Yeah, I imagine once you got into a program that took so much work to join, you'd be committed to most things that came your way. In my undergrad and masters programs (and in my collaborations with some other educators), this was not always the case, and unfortunately I'm not a authoriative "if they don't do their work, I'm not just going to do it for them" kind of person. If its my grade too, then I'll do it. Collaborating in research for PhD should be much more rewarding.

Yeah, I imagine once you got into a program that took so much work to join, you'd be committed to most things that came your way. In my undergrad and masters programs (and in my collaborations with some other educators), this was not always the case, and unfortunately I'm not a authoriative "if they don't do their work, I'm not just going to do it for them" kind of person. If its my grade too, then I'll do it. Collaborating in research for PhD should be much more rewarding.

Yup, I just do the work myself too.  Makes me nuts, but it is completely pointless to try and get some people to work at all, much less do quality stuff.  I WILL however, happily throw slackers under the bus when it comes to peer reviews.  I give positive reviews to those that at least try to pull their weight, but have no patience with those that expect others to do their work.

So anyone starting their 2nd semester?  I just got my first assignment and all of my books... Class begins next Tuesday.  

Just got home from the first meeting of my second class, have several assignments to do over the weekend, and I am waiting for the Amazon fairy to deliver the books.

Thank god for the Amazon fairy.

Just got home from the first meeting of my second class, have several assignments to do over the weekend, and I am waiting for the Amazon fairy to deliver the books.

Thank god for the Amazon fairy.

Indeed!  Amazon Fairy is good.  :D

I am trying to get my head in the game... after being off for 5 weeks, I feel discombobulated.  I can't imagine how I will feel after summer break.

Just wanted to say that although I'm not an older student, the oldest person in my cohort (10 years older than me) is literally the coolest and most awesome person in our year. He's an inspiration to me in so many ways and I really value his experience and advice. He adds flavor and perspective to discussion, and since he also went to our institution as an undergrad, knows a lot about the system and is always helpful when I have a question. He's an expert at navigating professor interactions and has truly amazing social skills (he knows what to say in every situation). And this is all on top of being incredibly hard-working, perhaps the most dedicated and committed person in the cohort.

I just want to let all of you know how utterly awesome you are for working on an advanced degree at the same time as having many responsibilities, little time, and often other people that you have to take care of beyond yourselves. If the other people in your cohort/department don't respect and value your experience and perspective, they are really missing out ;)

This thread is truly inspirational. My feelings about graduation studies have been fluctuating like anything over the past few days and this thread made me hit an all time high.

I have to ask you people one thing though, I have a huge fear that when I finally get into a PhD program (I have a long way to go despite graduating a couple of years ago) I may be somewhat intellectually crippled.

Let me elaborate, the kind of environment I did my medical school studies was not very stimulating and that combined with my own lack of initiative lead to a very poor academic record. My passions weren't instilled within me from an early age, unlike most of my peers who have insane levels of drive and are in great places now. After becoming more disciplined and proactive, I have developed a somewhat idealistic (naive maybe?) view of what I want and feel real passion for it. 

But what worries me is that am I really going to learn how to think? I know I need a good deal of research experience before I can get anywhere, but in the department of formal education I am also lacking. Does formal education have such a big role into moulding thinking processes? Especially in my case where I'm transitioning from clinical medicine to a more fundamental basic science approach.

Wow, some of you have very late starts to the semester. We started back on January 5th.

Our first practicum starts in late April, however. I'm not sure how late the semesters run for those of you who just started back.

Spring semester here runs from the day after MLK day to the first week in May (folloowed by exams and commencement activities). The period between Christmas and MLK is our winter semester.

Just wanted to say that although I'm not an older student, the oldest person in my cohort (10 years older than me) is literally the coolest and most awesome person in our year. He's an inspiration to me in so many ways and I really value his experience and advice. He adds flavor and perspective to discussion, and since he also went to our institution as an undergrad, knows a lot about the system and is always helpful when I have a question. He's an expert at navigating professor interactions and has truly amazing social skills (he knows what to say in every situation). And this is all on top of being incredibly hard-working, perhaps the most dedicated and committed person in the cohort.

I just want to let all of you know how utterly awesome you are for working on an advanced degree at the same time as having many responsibilities, little time, and often other people that you have to take care of beyond yourselves. If the other people in your cohort/department don't respect and value your experience and perspective, they are really missing out ;)

Thank you for your inspirational words!! :)

I have to ask you people one thing though, I have a huge fear that when I finally get into a PhD program (I have a long way to go despite graduating a couple of years ago) I may be somewhat intellectually crippled.

Let me elaborate, the kind of environment I did my medical school studies was not very stimulating and that combined with my own lack of initiative lead to a very poor academic record. My passions weren't instilled within me from an early age, unlike most of my peers who have insane levels of drive and are in great places now. After becoming more disciplined and proactive, I have developed a somewhat idealistic (naive maybe?) view of what I want and feel real passion for it. 

But what worries me is that am I really going to learn how to think? I know I need a good deal of research experience before I can get anywhere, but in the department of formal education I am also lacking. Does formal education have such a big role into moulding thinking processes? Especially in my case where I'm transitioning from clinical medicine to a more fundamental basic science approach.

Yes, I believe it does.  I feel that I have already learned how to think differently, write different, and even read differently.  My own experience so far has given me a more effective way to be productive in a shorter amount of time.  It's also easier when the subject is interesting to you.

Wow, some of you have very late starts to the semester. We started back on January 5th.

Our first practicum starts in late April, however. I'm not sure how late the semesters run for those of you who just started back.

We had a 5 week break for mine.  Fall classes started the day after Labor day and ended mid-December.  Spring classes begin today, and last through mid-May.  

I just wanted to say that this is a really cool thread.  I'm a 30something and have been wondering if it'll be awkward to one day be in a PhD program with mostly younger students.  It's interesting reading about all the challenges and positives some of you are experiencing.    

I just wanted to say that this is a really cool thread.  I'm a 30something and have been wondering if it'll be awkward to one day be in a PhD program with mostly younger students.  It's interesting reading about all the challenges and positives some of you are experiencing.    

You may feel strange but I'm learning its all in your mind.  It can be a positive or a negative thing, its just your perspective.  

I feel like it is strange, if only because I have young children. I'm in between the young people who are a year or two after finishing their B.A. and have the time and energy to go to parties, and the even older students who have older kids and (mostly) commute.

The biggest challenge for me is learning how to read/notate academically. I didn't have to do that in my undergrad, while the younger members of my cohort all have these elaborate databases for tracking readings. It's a hard thing to learn on the fly, how to read without a specific goal/paper in mind, and I'm not doing well with it.