Older students?

NavyMom

I saw there were some old threads on this, so I figured I would start a newish one, for myself and newer applicants. 

I am 38, married, with two kids.  I have 2 associates, and almost done with my BA.  I am applying for the first time, to an MPA program for Fall 2014. 

I am a little rusty in some areas, so I am a little nervous about taking on this challenge. 

If you are an older student, and would like to connect to vent, talk, etc.  Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a 41 year old married father of two, have 2 B.S.'s, and am applying for a PhD program.  The stress of contemplating grad school - moving, changing work environments, upsetting the stability of my family - is very nearly overwhelming me right now.  Is it just my personal ambition or is there a real chance of a payoff that will benefit my family?  Will that payoff be enough to make 5 more years of juggling school/work/family be enough?  I don't have those answers yet, and it's causing some tension. 

I am a 41 year old married father of two, have 2 B.S.'s, and am applying for a PhD program.  The stress of contemplating grad school - moving, changing work environments, upsetting the stability of my family - is very nearly overwhelming me right now.  Is it just my personal ambition or is there a real chance of a payoff that will benefit my family?  Will that payoff be enough to make 5 more years of juggling school/work/family be enough?  I don't have those answers yet, and it's causing some tension. 

I understand.  I don't have the luxury of moving, unfortunately... so I am forced to stay where I am and chose programs close to me.   It's a struggle living in a 1 income household, and I am the one bringing it home, while going to school full time.  It has caused a bit of high stress for me.  Trying to get through it.

I'll be 33 next month, just finished a Master's degree, enrolled in a PhD program.

My two children and my husband have followed me from New York to Oklahoma on my grad school journey. It was worth it. In addition to finally being enrolled in a PhD program, I've been hired in an official staff position at the University. For the first time ever, we can save up to buy a house in a few years. Finally being able to provide that stability is worth every minute of the struggle it took to get here.

I'm glad I saw this post.  I'm 44 and retiring from the Air Force in two years which will put me at 46 when I submit my applications.  I'm glad I'm not the only older person going through this.  Has anyone received any negative feedback when applying at an older age?

I'm glad I saw this post.  I'm 44 and retiring from the Air Force in two years which will put me at 46 when I submit my applications.  I'm glad I'm not the only older person going through this.  Has anyone received any negative feedback when applying at an older age?

So far, I have not received anything negative.  The professors I have met, and also my co-workers have all been very supportive.  In a way, I think I am in my "prime" for going to graduate school. 

What are you planning to study?

I'm really interested in the Late Antiquity/early medieval period.  It took a while to "sell" my wife on the idea of this, but now she's behing me 100%.  After 20 years it's time to do something that I want to do.  I was worried about the age thing though because when I tell people my post retirement plans they give me a look like i'm crazy.

Hi

I'm 45 and as untraditional as they come. Admission for Fall 2013 was my first cycle and got a place at one of the 5 schools to which I applied, but because I applied late on a rolling admission the place came without funding which means I have had to defer till Fall 2014 and apply for funding before Jan 2014.

I said all of this to say I agree with NavyMom, in that we are in the prime of our lives for the vagaries and possible lows of grad school, life experience has to count for something, even if its only the maturity to hndle what comes our way.

BTW my field is Media and Communications PhD...nice to know we're not alone

Hi

I'm 45 and as untraditional as they come. Admission for Fall 2013 was my first cycle and got a place at one of the 5 schools to which I applied, but because I applied late on a rolling admission the place came without funding which means I have had to defer till Fall 2014 and apply for funding before Jan 2014.

I said all of this to say I agree with NavyMom, in that we are in the prime of our lives for the vagaries and possible lows of grad school, life experience has to count for something, even if its only the maturity to hndle what comes our way.

BTW my field is Media and Communications PhD...nice to know we're not alone

Thanks for the post!  I think that we do have the maturity to handle things that come our way.  After 18 years in the Air Force I've learned to roll with the punches.

Amen to that! 

I work for a government entity and my masters will be in public policy and administration.  The door to my future career literally opened for me this morning when I talked with the COO of my company.  I relayed my interest in learning more about the legislative process that our company is involved in and she was more than excited to try and get me more involved and said she'd do what she can to help me learn everything and become more involved.

Now, I just have to apply and get into the program of my interest to help me flourish!  

The power of networking!  I don't know how many times I've seen it already on this forum to make contact with people, to put yourself out there and actually speak to people.  It sounds like you've got the right "can do" attitude to make it happen!

Not at all; on the contrary, being married/raising children has given me something in common with my mentors; we "get it" about what's important and what's not.

The power of networking!  I don't know how many times I've seen it already on this forum to make contact with people, to put yourself out there and actually speak to people.  It sounds like you've got the right "can do" attitude to make it happen!

What's really funny, is a few years ago, I would never have dreamt that I was going to try and get involved in politics.  And here I am.  lol 

It's strange how our paths can change!

The hardest part you'll run into is probably difficulty in relating to others in your cohort.  It's not necessarily a trivial difficulty, either, since these are the people you'll probably want to study and collaborate with.  That said, it's certainly something you can overcome; it just takes a bit of effort.  Good luck!

I was worried about relating to others that were much younger than me, but, you're right,  we would be there because we all want to study the same focus areas so I think it would work out.  I can't wait to retire and focus on grad school!

Have any of you already applied?  What part of the process are you in?  I have my application put together (most of it) and I am studying for the GRE test now... hoping to take it the beginning of November.

Along with having to apply for funding for the programme I deferred, I've zeroed in on 2 more schools to expand my possibilities. Both have deadline dates of Jan. 2 2014...working up the courage to harass my LOR writers for this last go around. Best of luck everyone!

Well so many things are happening at once... I am feeling so overwhelmed! 

My son has sworn into the Navy this morning and leaves immediately for bootcamp.  (I am VERY proud!). 

I also start two lower division classes next Monday, then my 3 online BA degree classes at the end of Sept.  All while trying to keep up with the studying of the GRE.

I have 2 LoRs in hand now, and need only one more.  So I am nearly ready!

I just wish I had a study buddy... or even a venting buddy.  My husband is helping me as much as he can, but I still feel "alone" at times.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am the oldest here at 51.

As far as relating to students younger than you, it is true that it is not always easy. However, once you are in grad school the focus is on academics not the social aspects of college and that helps.

Once you are in it can get busy, I am in my second year and concentrating on my master's applied project.

Good luck to you all.

I am 33 and I started my MA this semester. I have been married since 2010 (together since 2006), but we live apart for grad school. My wife Attends NDSU in Fargo, ND for her MA, and I attend UNL in Lincoln, NE. It is hard living apart (she has the cat, and I have the dog), but as non-traditional studenst I feel like we handle the rest of it better because we have life experiance, unlike the kids that come right out of undergrad at 22. We do look young, so it helps when relating to others in the program that are in their mid-20's.

Any questions about applying, GRE, etc - just ask.

Edited by csibaldwin

I am 33 and I started my MA this semester. I have been married since 2010 (together since 2006), but we live apart for grad school. My wife Attends NDSU in Fargo, ND for her MA, and I attend UNL in Lincoln, NE. It is hard living apart (she has the cat, and I have the dog), but as non-traditional studenst I feel like we handle the rest of it better because we have life experiance, unlike the kids that come right out of undergrad at 22. We do look young, so it helps when relating to others in the program that are in their mid-20's.

Any questions about applying, GRE, etc - just ask.

I give you kudos for being able to have a working marriage while living apart to achieve your goals.  I imagine that it is hard for you both.  Hopefully in the long run, it will allow you to have the life you want to live when you are completed with your education.  Good luck!

Absolutely. With facetime and all that these days, I don't really feel too far away. Also, summers, winter break, and spring break I will be in Fargo with her. I like being older in grad school it is interesting when you are the same age or older than your professors.(Sorry for typos on my original post, I hate autocorrect on my phone).

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just joined Grad Cafe today and was happy to see this thread. I am 42 and will be 44 when I start grad school (given that someone will have me ). I completed my BSEd in 1993 and MAEd in 1998. I'm going back to school to pursue an MA in German Studies and TESOL.

The whole application process is daunting to me as I don't have writing sample of my academic work or access to my professors. I've started taking classes through ASU online in history and English (and a few other topics that interest me) for three reasons: one, I think it will help me get ease back into the academic world, two, I hope to teach abroad and water more background in American History and Literature, and three, I'm hoping it will allow me to get some professor recs. and create some writing samples that I can submit.

I live in "the middle of nowhere" Southern Utah and need to save up money to relocate so will actually be applying for Fall 2015. Hoping to get funding for school, specifically a TA position. I'm still in the process of researching schools. My top 2 so far are Colorado State and Indiana U- Bloomington.

Nice to meet all of you!

Glad to see this thread!  I'm 37 and finished my MA in 2005.  I plan to apply to one specific PhD program (rare focus -- only one program in the US), but my partner and I won't be ready to relocate until 2016 (I'll apply in fall 2015).  In the meantime, I am doing whatever I can to improve my future application (continuing my executive-level job, taking online MA-level classes via the program I will apply for, gaining some teaching experience, a few articles published).  

It's a lot to ask a spouse to relocate for an unknown span of time while the other finishes a degree.  I must say that being in a good relationship makes the PhD path seem a lot more feasible. When I have doubts about getting into the program, he's reassuring. He's even stepped up on doing housework as I have begun to spend my free time with homework. But it will be a long road.  Does anyone else have anxiety about how the PhD path might affect their relationship?  Does anyone else plan to apply for only one program? (that increases the anxiety, too!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am 42 and I have been in grad school for 3 years now. I got my master's in Jan and I am pressing on for the PhD. Probably 3 years left. 

I was a stay at home mom who decided to try college at 35. The impostor syndrome is strong: I was a stay at home mom with no career experience, and my husband has always been in restaurant work. So, no money, no business capital. It has been hard but I love it. My boys are 12, 15, and 16. We are homeschooling the youngest two this yard, because I guess the whole thing wasn't difficult enough already? 

This semester had been the hardest of my life. Hopefully next semester is better.