MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Columbia University interview request, got a call from Gregory Amenoff chair of the visual arts department. So if you get a call from a 917 number, answer it : )

After 4 rejections I had little hope for the remaining two. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats Lenticchie! Out of curiosity... can you perhaps put an end to the slideroom "MFA Painting 2014 vs Painting 2014" speculation?

Got my second rejection today, from UNL. And here I had dared to hope. Now I kind of just want to cry. Their rejection letter was like a slap in the face. Basically insinuated I was too young, fresh, and artistically immature/boring for their program, and they bundled in a pamphlet for their non-degree, out of pocket "special" ceramics program as if I'm going to jump at the opportunity to relocate to Nebraska to go into debt for the grad school equivalent of Weenie Hut Jr. A huge part of the reason I want to go to grad school is to give me an opportunity to simultaneously improve my skill and situate myself so I can continue making ceramics post-grad. Without grad school, I can't do ceramics at all for the indefinite future. I don't have the resources or location for it. They're saying please continue to develop your work and maybe apply again in a couple years, but I can't develop my work any more. I'm stuck until somebody accepts me or until I win the lottery and can afford my own studio, and it's a ridiculously depressing thought.

I don't know. I don't mean to harp, I'm just. Kind of crushed, even though I tried really hard not to invest myself. But with their response, I just can't tell anymore if I'm even cut out for an MFA program, or if I'm blind to how completely mediocre and hopeless I am as an artist. Maybe they're right. I don't know. I mostly just feel like a talentless hack right now, though.

And now I'm crying. Oh god.

Got my second rejection today, from UNL. And here I had dared to hope. Now I kind of just want to cry. Their rejection letter was like a slap in the face. Basically insinuated I was too young, fresh, and artistically immature/boring for their program, and they bundled in a pamphlet for their non-degree, out of pocket "special" ceramics program as if I'm going to jump at the opportunity to relocate to Nebraska to go into debt for the grad school equivalent of Weenie Hut Jr. A huge part of the reason I want to go to grad school is to give me an opportunity to simultaneously improve my skill and situate myself so I can continue making ceramics post-grad. Without grad school, I can't do ceramics at all for the indefinite future. I don't have the resources or location for it. They're saying please continue to develop your work and maybe apply again in a couple years, but I can't develop my work any more. I'm stuck until somebody accepts me or until I win the lottery and can afford my own studio, and it's a ridiculously depressing thought.

I don't know. I don't mean to harp, I'm just. Kind of crushed, even though I tried really hard not to invest myself. But with their response, I just can't tell anymore if I'm even cut out for an MFA program, or if I'm blind to how completely mediocre and hopeless I am as an artist. Maybe they're right. I don't know. I mostly just feel like a talentless hack right now, though.

Hey Supaslim- 

This is really tough. i get it. really. I haven't slept for a while- but try not to lose hope. we all need to keep reminding ourselves that this acceptance and mfa program business is all subjective, and that so many variables are spinning around at respective programs that there's a huge degree of all of this just being out of our hands.

I also totally get the lack of funds and the lack of equipment - residencies are a really great way to get space and equipment. take a look at craft schools too (haystack, penland, arrowmont, etc) This is hard but people do go on to make work without an mfa degree all the time, and with limited resources. keep looking for different types of spaces where you can work! 

I religiously check nyfa.org's opportunities classifieds. keep your head up high and good luck! I think your work is really great. 

Interesting. I had a sense of this, but didn't realize the difference was quite so dramatic.

There's crits, a semester elective and tutorials every few weeks. Plus you've your peers to work alongside. I'm sure you'll get a better idea when you visit and can talk to actual students, particular current Mfa students form American.

Oh so sorry bdepps. Shitty day...hope things start looking up again soon!

Thanks, but I'm doing fine. Those schools did have really amazing photo programs, but I've been accepted to one school with tuition waiver plus TA stipend and had interviews at two other schools, so I can't complain.

:(  I agree with the idea of applying for residencies. That, or see if you can intern with someone or somewhere close to where you are. I know there are also other ways to expand your portfolio and experience in the ceramics world without a BFA. Established artists often need help with their output, especially if they create functional pieces. You should look further out and see if there is a place like that that would also offer room/boarding.

Hello Supaslim! Though it is so easy to get disheartened, none of this is a test of how good you are, and what kind of an artist you will become, or what your potential is! The month I graduated from college, I moved to Brooklyn, with enough money to pay rent, and then followed a series of low paying jobs which were just enough to cover rent, buy groceries, and MAYBE some fabric. Between the work and commute, there was no time to make anything at all, and I think I made just ONE thing in that entire year! It seemed really impossible to live like an adult and then also create, and it scared me so much and I wondered how anyone does anything at all, especially if they had children! It was really extremely depressing and I would cry all the time, but what I've noticed is that people figure it out, and they find ways to have pockets of time to themselves, perhaps volunteer a few hours a month to a studio so you can use their facilities for free (I know there were several places like that in New York, and I'm not sure where you live, but you could enquire in your city too), and then also apply to residencies, like Catz4evr mentioned! For me, last year was filled with all kinds of rejections, almost only rejections, from shows, and residencies, and it can make one feel worthless, but there are just so many people vying for the same things, and so many people who are older and with more experience, having perhaps gone through similarly grueling years. Keep your chin up :)

Also, have you considered jobs with companies that produce ceramics? Two of my friends work for Rookwood Pottery, and though they work on things that's not THEIR work, they are still able to constantly practice, and they quite like it :)

I'll second the recommendation for craft schools like Arrowmont. If you apply for work-study or studio assistant positions, you can take a certain number of classes for free. Housing and (most) food included. 

Look into fellowships & scholarships at the Archie Bray foundation, too. 

@ supaslim - Sorry to hear about the rejection, but the choices of the school can often be highly subjective and fickle. Sometimes it comes down to having someone in their program that is making work similar to yours. I'd take the suggestion to find alternative ways to try and make work. Don't get discouraged, I have been rejected from so many shows & residencies that it makes my head spin, but ultimately what matters is that you keep trying. Tenacity is the most admirable quality an artist can have. 

On another note I just got an email from RISD stating I had been accepted. I wasn't counting on that, still in shock I guess, especially since the letter directly addressed what they liked about my portfolio and my work. 

Congrats Lenticchie! Out of curiosity... can you perhaps put an end to the slideroom "MFA Painting 2014 vs Painting 2014" speculation?

There might be some truth to status changes, my status is 2014 Painting MFA.

Hey supaslim .......it really sucks being rejected and I'm sorry, but if you are looking for ceramic equipment I have a skutt kiln I'm looking to sell...pretty new I'm the first to use it with setters and shelves...electronic large....in case you are interested

print and draw congrats! i went there for undergrad.

ps if anyone here is going for an interview with the RCA, or already had one lets chat. I'm trying to guess what will be asked, trying to mentally prepare. 

Columbia University interview request, got a call from Gregory Amenoff chair of the visual arts department. So if you get a call from a 917 number, answer it : )

After 4 rejections I had little hope for the remaining two. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! I applied too but haven't heard anything. What time did you get the call?

Just recieved the email.

Accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill's interdisciplinary program via email!

Anyone else apply to UNC?

I applied to Chapel Hill and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it's a Waitlist at best for me. Congrats on the acceptance!

Hi,

After obsessing over this forum I decided to join the waiting party.

Got interview requests from:

1. Parsons - 22.2 interview want well will have answers in two weeks

2. Pratt- still haven't received a final date for the interview.

Still waiting to hear from:

1. Columbia

2. Hunter

3. SVA

Did anybody got an answer from these places (fine arts/ studio art/ new genres)?

Thanks and best of luck to us all!