MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

How did you hear back from Rutgers, Coffeeblack? Did you apply for painting?

thanks

Did anyone else's status change on the online status check?  Mine still says no decision but it also says they haven't received my official transcript via snailmail yet, although they do have my unofficial which I uploaded.  I wonder how slowly they update these things...

Did anyone else's status change on the online status check?  Mine still says no decision but it also says they haven't received my official transcript via snailmail yet, although they do have my unofficial which I uploaded.  I wonder how slowly they update these things...

I had the same problem.  I ended up having to send the official scripts three times before they got them.  The third time I talked to a Dori Sabik and they finally got them.

My interview was through Skype 

I had an interview with Pratt on Feb 13th, and am invited for a second interview for March 7th. 

The interview was pretty casual, I had it with one of their associate professor. He asked me what I did after I graduated, how long I worked, what I did, why I want to go back to grad school, why I want to go to Pratt, told me a little about the program, and asked me how I can contribute to their program. 

Depending how you answer your questions, it might lead to a completely different set of questions, so, I think all you need to do to prepare is to be yourself. One of my friend reminded me yesterday, that not only they are learning about you, you are learning about them too. This is a chance for you to ask some questions. The worst thing is at the end when they ask you if you have any questions, and you go "ermm......nope". :)

Think of something you would like to know about the program, and see if Pratt is a good fit for YOU, not only if you are a good fit for THEM. 

I'm a bit more nervous about the committee interview, there will be 4~5 professors, and students are invited to sit in as well. my nerves :(

Anyone has any experience interviewing with a panel? 

Thanks that sets my mind somewhat at ease.  I am unsure how I feel about a panel though...seems nerve wracking.

Thanks that sets my mind somewhat at ease.  I am unsure how I feel about a panel though...seems nerve wracking.

I know! Even though the professor assured me that it will be fine and that I should just be myself, i'm still nervous!

Interviewing with a panel feels like you are being grilled, its you vs. them. but I'm trying to think possitively. And even though it is cliche to say, I'm going to try my best to be myself. I had an interview once (not with a panel) and with one of the questions I tried to make up something deep, intellectual and profound to say, then I choked up. So I learn from that time, there is no need to be pretentious and be someone I'm not. It wouldn't be good anyways if they think I'm a certain way and I turn out not.

So anyways, good luck to you!

How is funding there?  I've done some research and it seems like their funding isn't so good, but I was wondering what an insider's perspective is on that.  Also, did you get to interact with Henry Wessel at all?  I'm really into the New Topographics photographers (and yes, I know that stuff is from 40 years ago :lol: ).

Congrats on your CalArts interview!

Like most private schools funding is limited. I think there are 2 or 3 large merit based grants they hand out but besides that it's minimal. It's expensive to go there as is. I personally got 9,000$ for the year so 4500 per semester, which really does not begin to cover it.  I didn't have close contact with Henry Wessel but I've heard good things from friends. The classes he was offering didn't fit into my schedule unfortunately. If you have a specific question I'll ask a friend who had independent study with him. 

SeeingEyeDuck is totally right. I completely forgot that Allan left which is funny because I have been emailing him. Minor lapse. Anyone going to Berkley though...check him out. He's a gem.

And the housing thing. Yes rent is SKY ROCKETING here. The apartment below mine just got rented out for 700$ more a month than I pay. It's absurd. That is only 2 years later. And it is very hard/ competitive to find apartments. If you have the money and are going to move out here plan to come out a little early because it can take upwards of a month... Not to deter you because SF is really a lovely city but the reality is there are a ton of tech companies in the area that pay their employees A LOT of money so they get first priority for apartments. "It's all about the money money money..." Something to think about. I really love living here though. Location was a big factor when choosing schools (for me anyway). I'm afraid that once I leave I won't be able to afford it again... 

No problem Alexandria - Please let me know if you have any other questions about the school. I'm more than happy to help. 

RISD-Interview Request(painting)

RCA-rejected (painting)

SAIC-

University of Washington-

Pacific Northwest College of Art-

University of Victoria-

University of Miami(FL)-

When/how did you receive a request from RISD?

Hi guys! I wish I would have remembered the existence of this forum earlier. 

I am too stressed to function//it's time to contribute. 

here's where I am:

Ohio State : Accepted! Printmaking. Found out via email. 
University of MN: Interviewed on 1/21
Purchase: Skype interview requestion
MICA [mount royal]: Interview happened on 2/18
Temple: interview 2/22. tomorrow!! [terrified]

VCU: Assumed rejected?
UPenn: ?

Hunter: ?
U Boston: ?

I applied to the painting program at OSU but they took me in printmaking. Thrilled either way, it seems to be a very interdisciplinary program and they've offered me a teaching assistantship. I feel good about OSU. Scared about my interview with MICA! I think it went well. oh maybe. oh who knows. I am so impressed by the new director, almost star struck. I butchered a question about critical theory and I know they lean towards older more established artists. I am 22. I think we bonded a bit though. oh me oh my oh my. We'll see! Trying to just let it go and leave it up to fate! But boy oh boy this whole process is making me mentally unstable. 

Edited by bugwearingshoes

Has anyone who's been accepted to UW-Madison received an official offer of admission from the Graduate School yet? I received an acceptance email from the department back in January, but would love to have the official letter in hand.

Hi guys! I wish I would have remembered the existence of this forum earlier. 

I am too stressed to function//it's time to contribute. 

here's where I am:

Ohio State : Accepted! Printmaking. Found out via email. 

University of MN: Interviewed on 1/21

Purchase: Skype interview requestion

MICA [mount royal]: Interview happened on 2/18

Temple: interview 2/22. tomorrow!! [terrified]

VCU: Assumed rejected?

UPenn: ?

Hunter: ?

U Boston: ?

I applied to the painting program at OSU but they took me in printmaking. Thrilled either way, it seems to be a very interdisciplinary program and they've offered me a teaching assistantship. I feel good about OSU. Scared about my interview with MICA! I think it went well. oh maybe. oh who knows. I am so impressed by the new director, almost star struck. I butchered a question about critical theory and I know they lean towards older more established artists. I am 22. I think we bonded a bit though. oh me oh my oh my. We'll see! Trying to just let it go and leave it up to fate! But boy oh boy this whole process is making me mentally unstable. 

Hey bug wearing shoes, congratulations on OSU! I've heard nothing but good things about OSU's program. I spent four years in Columbus when I did my undergrad at CCAD, it's a great city to live in. (If you haven't visited, ask me anything, I could go on and on about the city ;-)

I have the same situation, the transcript was marked as complete but the rutgers portal says it has not been received. Has anyone else heard from Rutgers?

Edited by louiseb

Has anyone who's been accepted to UW-Madison received an official offer of admission from the Graduate School yet? I received an acceptance email from the department back in January, but would love to have the official letter in hand.

I've only received TA/PA forms so far!! I will let you know if anything more happens on my end :)

Hi Yellow Magnet!

I had the same problem. I called as well a few days ago and they said they were still working on the schedule. They also told me they would be conducting interviews until the end of the month. Today I received an email from the faculty member I will be talking with to set up the interview. I was a total stress case about this as well. But you should here very soon. 

Also, I will see you in Chicago for the SAIC sculpture interview!

I did miss a phone call from CCA then when i tried to call back it was the main number and no one knew where to send me.  So i'll just keep waiting.  Chicago! So excited… and slightly nervous.  We are able to bring new work, but i only have in progress items for big projects. 

Wish I had found this forum earlier!

So here's mine:

RCA (visual communication)-Interview Request 3.5
MICA (illustration)-interview 2.18
Konstfack (visual communication)-interview 2.17
Edinbergh College of Art (illustration) - 

No admission and no rejection, I am really anxious. :unsure:
Edited by linali

I have my first ever interview next week with Pratt.  I was curious about what to expect?  Has anyone been through this?  

I went to Pratt for my BFA which was great. What major are you looking at for their MFA? To be honest, for their painting MFA you may be able to get a better program somewhere else for the money. I'd recommend their BFA program over the MFA.

I applied for yale sculpture and i have been invited for Skype interview being an international student, any necessary tip would be appreciated. Now reading this forum, you guys say yale sculpture isn't great? 

I applied for yale sculpture and i have been invited for Skype interview being an international student, any necessary tip would be appreciated. Now reading this forum, you guys say yale sculpture isn't great? 

Hi vickolors! What day is your interview? I'm also an international student and went a bit crazy last week trying to figure out how I would send my work. Good luck for your interview and if I find something helpful I will pass it along!!