MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

hey ya'll

I'm putting the carriage before the horse on this one (waiting to hear back after interview) but does anybody know the deal on funding at Cranbrook? After getting the generic admissions email and realizing that paying a $1000 deposit within 2 weeks may be a reality, I started wondering about their funding in general. I ask because I've heard mixed answers about this unicorn school

thanks!

Edited by Catz4evr

Hello,

Applied to MFA Painting programs and still waiting to hear:

Carnegie Mellon’s School of Art - only 6 applicants selected. Feb 11, 2014

The University of Texas at Austin

The University of Houston

SAIC 

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question--- but do most MFA progs typically accept a few more than they have spots available, THEN resort to a waitlist if they aren't at capacity? 

Edited by Czarina

Got my second rejection today, from UNL. And here I had dared to hope. Now I kind of just want to cry. Their rejection letter was like a slap in the face. Basically insinuated I was too young, fresh, and artistically immature/boring for their program, and they bundled in a pamphlet for their non-degree, out of pocket "special" ceramics program as if I'm going to jump at the opportunity to relocate to Nebraska to go into debt for the grad school equivalent of Weenie Hut Jr. A huge part of the reason I want to go to grad school is to give me an opportunity to simultaneously improve my skill and situate myself so I can continue making ceramics post-grad. Without grad school, I can't do ceramics at all for the indefinite future. I don't have the resources or location for it. They're saying please continue to develop your work and maybe apply again in a couple years, but I can't develop my work any more. I'm stuck until somebody accepts me or until I win the lottery and can afford my own studio, and it's a ridiculously depressing thought.

I don't know. I don't mean to harp, I'm just. Kind of crushed, even though I tried really hard not to invest myself. But with their response, I just can't tell anymore if I'm even cut out for an MFA program, or if I'm blind to how completely mediocre and hopeless I am as an artist. Maybe they're right. I don't know. I mostly just feel like a talentless hack right now, though.

And now I'm crying. Oh god.

Hang in there! I don't know if you're anywhere near Chicago, but if things don't work out for you this round, there is a wonderful place called the Lill Street Arts Center. They are a community arts center with a phenomenal ceramics department. Classes are reasonable and they also have work/ trade positions called "monitors." Monitors get perks like free clay, access to the studio from 10-10, and 1/2 off workshops and classes. If you are looking for a change of scenery and a place to continue to hone your skills. I was a monitor for years there and the access to the studios and classes helped me to get my practice where it is today.

So I had my interview with SVA this morning. It was with Mark Tribe, the chair of the MFA Fine Arts department. I think it went really well...it felt like I was having a conversation with a good friend. He asked questions about my work and my motivations for pursuing graduate school. I should hear back by April 1st!

I also got accepted to the University of Maryland, College Park, via email today for their Mixed Media/New Genres program.

Hello All! I am new. I'm applying this season for New Genres/Interdisciplinary at:

Columbia: 

CalArts: Interview scheduled

Hunter: invited for an interview today!

USC: 

UCLA: 

Is anyone here going to Hunter interview weekend?

There might be some truth to status changes, my status is 2014 Painting MFA.

Lenticchie, congrats!

I must say, however, that my Columbia MFA speculation remains--still in doubt. My slideroom says 2014 Sculpture MFA. I didn't hear anything. 

Are people starting to hear from Hunter?

Lenticchie, congrats!

I must say, however, that my Columbia MFA speculation remains--still in doubt. My slideroom says 2014 Sculpture MFA. I didn't hear anything. 

Are people starting to hear from Hunter?

Mine too- I applied to sculpture as well, and my slideroom status is still the same 2014 Sculpture MFA though I haven't heard anything.

However slideroom status change is not a speculation- it's a very accurate indicator- at least in terms of painting dept. I applied several years in a row, and I know that if your status changes from MFA to just Painting it means you are out. So my guess is that sculpture commission is either running a bit behind painting, or they just don't use this little trick in the slideroom.

Thanks, but I'm doing fine. Those schools did have really amazing photo programs, but I've been accepted to one school with tuition waiver plus TA stipend and had interviews at two other schools, so I can't complain.

Yah, sorry I missed seeing your comment in context when I read your post on my phone :-)

Hello All! I am new. I'm applying this season for New Genres/Interdisciplinary at:

Columbia:

CalArts: Interview scheduled

Hunter: invited for an interview today!

USC:

UCLA:

Is anyone here going to Hunter interview weekend?

that's awesome! when is the interview weekend?

The weirdest and most disturbing stuff has been happening regarding my Pratt application!

An assistant professor at the Pratt MFA Communications Design programme contacted me (via email on February 13) for a Skype interview, with several scheduling options. I replied the same day, choosing to schedule the interview on February 24, 2pm - 3.30pm EST. However, I didn't get a confirmation, and so sent an email on February 18, and another one on February 24.

I haven't heard back from Pratt, and I'm very concerned about the interview. Sent them another email today.

I don't know what to make of this - the interview didn't happen yesterday. Will my interview be rescheduled?

More importantly, why haven't I heard back from Pratt?

Does anyone have any idea about this / similar experiences?

hey ya'll

I'm putting the carriage before the horse on this one (waiting to hear back after interview) but does anybody know the deal on funding at Cranbrook? After getting the generic admissions email and realizing that paying a $1000 deposit within 2 weeks may be a reality, I started wondering about their funding in general. I ask because I've heard mixed answers about this unicorn school

thanks!

I was a little surprised at how little Cranbrook is ending up costing me, seeing as it's a private school with no TA opportunities and all. I have a need-based grant that covers maybe 1/3 of the fixed costs, making it about equal to what SAIC would've cost me.

There are scholarships for first-year students, but I don't know anyone who got one, (I haven't asked around ask that much, but I think they're not super-rare). Those scholarships only cover the first year, because then the second year is awarded separately.

Even though there aren't any TA-ships, there are work-study positions. Before I started, administration kept telling me not to assume I'd get a work-study, but basically anyone who wants/needs one, can find one that suits them, be it in the office, computer lab, woodshop, museum, or library.

(Also, if you're still waiting to hear from schools when the deposit deadline gets close, talk to administration. They're pretty understanding and might let you wait a little bit. That happened to me last year.)

Edited by herki

I was a little surprised at how little Cranbrook is ending up costing me, seeing as it's a private school with no TA opportunities and all. I have a need-based grant that covers maybe 1/3 of the fixed costs, making it about equal to what SAIC would've cost me.

There are scholarships for first-year students, but I don't know anyone who got one, (I haven't asked around ask that much, but I think they're not super-rare). Those scholarships only cover the first year, because then the second year is awarded separately.

Even though there aren't any TA-ships, there are work-study positions. Before I started, administration kept telling me not to assume I'd get a work-study, but basically anyone who wants/needs one, can find one that suits them, be it in the office, computer lab, woodshop, museum, or library.

(Also, if you're still waiting to hear from schools when the deposit deadline gets close, talk to administration. They're pretty understanding and might let you wait a little bit. That happened to me last year.)

Thanks for sharing Herki!  I was a little concerned since my interview had to be at the end of March.  I booked my flight and stay at the 'guest house' on campus.  For airport transportation, I also opted for paying for a ride through students instead of renting a car or getting a taxi.  I figured that that it was also part of that student's income somehow. 

This really makes me feel better thanks! I've sort of always ruled out cranbrook because of its reputation for being financially impossible but I'm gonna hold on to some hope

This might not be the right forum for this questions, so if it's not please advise. 

I got accepted into my second university today which is really exciting, but they emailed me saying "Let us know if you plan to apply asap" and the truth is, it's all going to depend on money. And I haven't been "officially" accepted to the other university yet (tho they called and told me I was unofficially), and then I'm still waiting on hearing from a few others. I was hoping I could take my time in March and visit all these campuses to make the best choice but now I feel pressured and nervous I'm taking too long. And I understand someone can have the spot I'll be giving up at one of the schools so it's really rude to them to make them wait. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? :/

PS--The University I was accepted to unofficially said they were still waiting on funding information for me. 

At least it's a good problem to have. Totally not trying to sound ungrateful! 

Thanks all

This might not be the right forum for this questions, so if it's not please advise. 

I got accepted into my second university today which is really exciting, but they emailed me saying "Let us know if you plan to apply asap" and the truth is, it's all going to depend on money. And I haven't been "officially" accepted to the other university yet (tho they called and told me I was unofficially), and then I'm still waiting on hearing from a few others. I was hoping I could take my time in March and visit all these campuses to make the best choice but now I feel pressured and nervous I'm taking too long. And I understand someone can have the spot I'll be giving up at one of the schools so it's really rude to them to make them wait. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? :/

PS--The University I was accepted to unofficially said they were still waiting on funding information for me. 

At least it's a good problem to have. Totally not trying to sound ungrateful! 

Thanks all

Don't worry about being rude. You earned your acceptance. Take as much time as you want.