MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

You're incorrectly changing the DPI of your images, you need to make sure "Resample Image:" is not selected. Notice then how the physical pixel resolution stays the same while the document size (as it would print) changes.

Also, missed the c, and no s.

If I cared enough to know your name, I would.

Walked right into that setup didn't ya? People remain amusingly predictable.

Also, I'm not saying what's the right or wrong way to change dpi - both ways change the dpi. But the default changes the canvas size. That's where people were having issues. And I explain how at 72 PPI they're aiming for 1000 pixels or just under 14 inches in any one direction to meet 99% of portfolio requirements.

If that was the case then how come less than a week after I submitted my application and got an interview, my POI didn't have anything but the images themselves? Following that logic, no desc/titles in first review to get rid of unwanted portfolios, why did I get an interview at all? 

Now, I'm not any member of an admission committee or anything but it seems more like they didn't have all the information available instead of didn't want to have all of it. For example, one of my pieces was a video and the description wrote it was a projection in a planetarium. She was super surprised by that and said how it made so much more sense. (Space related video would be best shown in space related way.) I don't think they get the info that we provide. 

Don't have an answer for you for your specific case with your POI. I can however tell that when I interviewed at both places that used Slideroom the person(s) interviewing me pulled my work up in the administration side of Slideroom and I could plainly see the titles, descriptions, and images. They then asked me for more detail about projects they were particularly interested in.

Don't have an answer for you for your specific case with your POI. I can however tell that when I interviewed at both places that used Slideroom the person(s) interviewing me pulled my work up in the administration side of Slideroom and I could plainly see the titles, descriptions, and images. They then asked me for more detail about projects they were particularly interested in.

Maybe there is an in-between setting for different views? Some software I use at work has various people accessing it with different levels of what they can see and do. This just adds to the mystery that is admissions.  :(

Loric: Why are you being such a troll and contrarian? Your snarkiness is of no help to anyone here. Why don't you show us some of your work if you're so much better than everyone else?

Oh, that's the measure? In that case, I need 3 pieces of yours in order to ascertain if you have any standing to question me.

Maybe there is an in-between setting for different views? Some software I use at work has various people accessing it with different levels of what they can see and do. This just adds to the mystery that is admissions.  :(

I think that some people viewing work are just not that interested in reading, even if they are going to interview you. Some people are readers and others are not...regardless of whether you (we) think they should be. They also have to wade through a lot of bad artist writing...if they've been doing it for years, they develop strategies which can include ignoring as much of the writing as possible. That's one reason why the presentation of the portfolio is so important.

I think that some people viewing work are just not that interested in reading, even if they are going to interview you. Some people are readers and others are not...regardless of whether you (we) think they should be. They also have to wade through a lot of bad artist writing...if they've been doing it for years, they develop strategies which can include ignoring as much of the writing as possible. That's one reason why the presentation of the portfolio is so important.

I tend to think the worst of all things. You made me feel a million percent better. I was asked to bring a small demo of how I print in for their grad review event thingie next month. I brought a book of it my last trip out so I already know what to show. Even if they don't read they at least are interested so that is a plus. 

If that was the case then how come less than a week after I submitted my application and got an interview, my POI didn't have anything but the images themselves? Following that logic, no desc/titles in first review to get rid of unwanted portfolios, why did I get an interview at all? 

Do you think you got an early interview because you applied to two programs at the same school?

Or maybe that thought is me trying to make myself feel better for not hearing anything from them yet.

Do you think you got an early interview because you applied to two programs at the same school?

Or maybe that thought is me trying to make myself feel better for not hearing anything from them yet.

Nah you still got loads of time before you have to worry. Last year I was asked for interview first week of Feb, so 2-ish weeks from now. Depending on the department, no idea how the other ones go. My focus is Photo for art. The other program is an entirely different area, no word from them yet so I of course expect the worst despite all proof against it. 

For the art departments, the first interview sections happen independently in each area. Photo people review photo portfolios, fibers people review fibers portfolios and so on. Then they get together in a giant portfolio cage match and fight for their picks for their department to get accepted. Actual acceptance/rejections/waitlists happened around early March.

Loric: Why are you being such a troll and contrarian? Your snarkiness is of no help to anyone here. Why don't you show us some of your work if you're so much better than everyone else?

Because group think has done -so- much for society..?

Loric:

being a internet troll is not the same as being a maverick - especially when you have the veil of anonymity
if you think that there is any real ideological power to this forum you are totally delusional
if you think that smugly interjecting yourself in the middle of conversations is the same as shocking people out of complacency you are nothing more than a provocateur and an egomaniac
if you think that deflecting every critique of your character with rhetoric or argumentation will help you grow as an artist or as a person you are hard-headed and have no place in graduate school

apologies to all for distracting from the real discussion at hand... I will not post any more about this... just had to say something

I like you Loric, but I feel that if we ever meet in real life, we may end up maiming each other.

Back to the grad freak-out. Does anyone know when the real panic should set in?

I like you Loric, but I feel that if we ever meet in real life, we may end up maiming each other.

I'm always just amazed that people think they can say whatever they want to me, at me, etc.. and there will be no likewise retort.

I think you likely have enough sense to realize that I'm not that sort of person.. and you probably don't run around passive aggressively insulting people and getting away with it because society dictates that the "good" people are to grin and bear such BS. Good thing I'm not a good person.

just throwing this out there... some faculty/department heads look through these forums, so it can be a good place to show off both your work and your character.  I think the forums become much more productive and respectable when we lose the anonymity. Just sayin'. 

Good luck with your applications y'all!

just throwing this out there... some faculty/department heads look through these forums, so it can be a good place to show off both your work and your character.  I think the forums become much more productive and respectable when we lose the anonymity. Just sayin'. 

Until someone goes after you like a junkyard dog with a bone - because they don't think you're the right kind of people to be on gradcafe or in grad school.

If you don't think that will happen and you've not already offended some internet loon who is just salivating at the chance to "turn you in" then feel free to post all your stats and info.

Or were you just saying you want others to be held accountable for the things you perceive as wrong rather than yourself for what they see as being wrong with you?

I received an acceptance letter from UW-Madison (Printmaking) this morning!  They notified me via email-- funding application is separate and due March 1st.  I'm floored I heard so early!  Sending good thoughts to everyone playing the waiting game.

Hey Hopeful!

UNLV is a fully funded MFA, with stipend (1,300) a month, teaching and gallery experience, grants (up to 1,500 a year) for materials, tons of visiting artists and critics (each week), artists in residences and great field trips (going to Marfa this year), LARGE studios and lots of freedom!

I know, Las Vegas- but coming from San Francisco and LA I thought I would hate it and discovered that it's not that bad. Old downtown Vegas is amazing, everyone has a pool, rent is sooo affordable (you can get a 1 bedroom for 450), the desert sky is beautiful and it's not too far from LA. The school offers lots of freedom and there are only 12 total MFA's in the program. Applications are open till Feb.

Good luck out there!

XX

Phew, just applied there and the application process threw me off a bit and then I saw this so I am relieved! Thanks for the great review.

I haven't checked the status of my application. I got an email saying they had received my application. It also stated that, "The department/unit may contact you if they need additional information or have questions about your application." Since I haven't heard from them, I'm assuming all of the required application materials were received.

Indiana has been a pain in the butt as far as the website/login/application status thing goes. I can't find anything, no one on the phone can tell me anything and when I send an email they just reply and tell me to contact another office/department. 

I would think faculty have their hands full right now just looking through all of the applications they have received. Why would they spend time on this forum looking at the art of people who may not be applying to their program?

I would think faculty have their hands full right now just looking through all of the applications they have received. Why would they spend time on this forum looking at the art of people who may not be applying to their program?

Not to mention, per the "experts" here - they don't read. Hard to garner much from this website without reading.. perhaps if we put on an interpretive dance..