MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Oakchild, do you know anyone @ Mills?

I have a few friends of friends that graduated from the art program, but I don't know anyone personally. I didn't apply, but kind of regretting it at this point, it's literally in my backyard!

Hello,

So glad to have found this forum!

I graduated from architecture school last May, and these past few months have gone by applying to graduate schools for MFA or MA in graphic design / visual communication. I applied to a total of 9 universities, and have heard back from about half of those:

• London College of Communication MA Graphic Design - accepted
  • Westminster University MA Design for Communication - accepted
  • Goldsmiths MA Design Critical Practice - accepted
  • Royal College of Art MA Visual Communication
  • Glasgow School of Art MA Communication Design
  • School of Visual Arts MFA Design
  • Pratt Institute MFA Communications Design - interview scheduled on 24 February
  • Yale School of Art MFA Graphic Design (3 year) - interview scheduled on 27 February
  • National Institute of Design (India) Post Graduate Diploma in Graphic Design
Even though I'm yet to hear back from any of the longer programmes, I'm already so stressed about my decision - I have to choose between the UK and the US and between one, two and three year programmes - all the while weighing in with financial considerations. I live in India and fees are significantly higher for international students. At this point, I feel that even if by some miracle I do get through to YSOA there is no way I can fund three years there - and do I really want to spend 3 more years in college after 5 years doing by B.Arch?

Anyways, I was hoping someone could help guide me about my Skype interview with Pratt and Yale - Yale especially because they've asked me to send across hard copies of some original work and I'm wondering how much to send, and how the interaction happens with them discussing the work over webcam.

Any help would be much appreciated!

PS/ I am yet to hear from RCA even though their website says that they will email all applicants by February 14! Any one else out here waiting?

cheers

RCA sent an email saying that the February 14th projected response time is being moved back to Monday the 17th. Just a little bit longer and we will all have answers. But maybe since you have recieved an interview request, I should cross it off my list? I don't know, I'm applying under sculpture. Edited by Yellow Magnet

Is Valentine's day celebrated in the UK? I'm a little oblivious.

Ummm...most definitely. The holiday isn't American made.

Of course, people don't care about it being Valentine's Day if its good news, but seem especially hurt if its bad news (on the results page)

Edited by ismewilde

Ummm...most definitely. The holiday isn't American made.

Of course, people are don't care about it being Valentine's Day if its good news, but seem especially hurt if its bad news (on the results page)

Yup. that makes sense.  I stopped worrying over valentines day more than a decade ago. Now i've heard the someone on here saying rejects were sent on april fools… that seems pretty harsh too. 

has anyone heard from UCLA, Cornell, or Indiana U-Bloomington? I've only heard from CCA and I am just getting anxious now.

[/quote

I haven't heard anything from IU-Bloomington, either. They lost my transcripts, so I had to email unofficial copies. I asked their graduate coordinator to confirm the receipt of my unofficial transcripts--this was several weeks ago and still no response.

RCA sent an email saying that the February 14th projected response time is being moved back to Monday the 17th. Just a little bit longer and we will all have answers. But maybe since you have recieved an interview request, I should cross it off my list? I don't know, I'm applying under sculpture.

I called them today before I heard and they said ppl would hear by Monday latest. I wouldn't cross off yet, they are just getting through volume. Who knows what their communication order is, could be alphabetical or submission date for all we know. Good luck!

I'm actually surprised (and I know I shouldn't be) that so many schools lose application materials.  A lot of people here have similar stories and it totally sucks.  I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Thanks. I guess being the early bird doesn't get you the worm. I sent them my transcripts via certified mail on November 25th. I received the delivery confirmation from the USPO.

Has anyone heard from RISD (Graphic Design) and Pratts (MA program)?

Nope... But based on past results looks like they often wait very late in the season to get back with applicants. 

Did you have your VCU interview yet? Who is it with? Just curious as that is one of my top school choices. Haven't heard anything yet. :/

Nope... But based on past results looks like they often wait very late in the season to get back with applicants. 

Did you have your VCU interview yet? Who is it with? Just curious as that is one of my top school choices. Haven't heard anything yet. :/

I was referring specifically to RISD. :)

Hey everyone-

Congrats to everyone with good news!

Weird question.  I logged in to Columbia's application (I applied for print), to complete their financial need assessment. I applied last year as well, and accidentally logged into that application. I was (obviously) rejected last year, but now that rejection letter says I am unable to be admitted for fall of 2014. My current application is submitted/ready for review with no decision made.

Anyone else have this issue? I am wondering if I am already rejected for 2014 (expected, but not this early!)

Thanks in advance!

You should call the school if you're concerned. My application still just says congratulations on being submitted...

Haha yes April Fools Day rejection felt less than good but at that time I had actually already signed a work contract for the following year so wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

Hey everyone, I'm not sure how many of you watch TED talks but here is a great one about being limited or having something not go your way:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tedtalks/phil-hansen-ted-embrace-the-shake_b_4744768.html

Has anyone heard from RISD (Graphic Design) and Pratts (MA program)?

I know! I was wondering about the same thing! I applied for MFA Communications Design for Pratt, and just had an interview. 

I'm applying MFA for Graphic/Visual communication for the the first time, TOTALLY FREAKING OUT. I'm so glad there are so much support here! I was a bit paranoid, so I applied to 11 schools. Hopefully I'll get in somewhere!

Rejected:

Yale

University of Edinburgh

Wait listed:

University of Wisconsin Madison

Still Waiting:

Pratt - Interviewed

RISD

University of Illinois Chicago

University of Texas Austin

University of Texas Arlington 

University of Washington Seattle

University of California San Diego

Glasgow School of Art

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyone heard anything from RISD yet? 

There have been discussions in past years about whether or not forgoing in-person interviews hurts your chances of acceptance...I think is probably difficult to generalize...everyone's situation and reasons are different...I think the biggest downside is not meeting the faculty or getting a better sense of the program  before one has to make a decision to attend or not.