Applying to the same program for the second time - How do I approach POIs?

WishfulThinker

Hi all.

I'm thinking on applying to the same program and school that rejected me last year. I didn't contact many professors last time, which probably was a bad idea.

I'm thinking on contacting several this time, but how should I approach them? Should I tell them that I was rejected last year? Should I ask for feedback on my previous application? 

Not sure what field you are in, but in my field it is discouraged to contact Professors. Nevertheless, when I contacted Professors regarding feedback on my application (this will be my second cycle), one was completely rude and just stated that they had over 150+ applicants and the other was very general and stated things like GRE scores (and both of these schools waitlisted me and had me waiting well into April, so I thought, since they made me wait for so long, that the least they could do was provide some feedback...). I may apply to one of the schools again, so writing an SOP for that school will be very awkward. 

I've had friends contact Professors about feedback and they have had similar experiences that I did, but it still wouldn't hurt to try because you may get useful advice. 

You absolutely should contact the professors.  Let them know who you are and what research you are interested in doing it with them, make each email personalized though keep it brief.

If the professor replies warmly and a discussion comes up you can then ask for feedback, otherwise I would hold off on that bit.

It depends on your field, and it also depends on what you ask them.  I don't think that asking for feedback on your application is necessarily a good idea unless you had a personal contact with them ahead of time, simply because they do see so many applications and are unlikely to remember yours.  The people who should be giving you feedback are your current/past professors and any supervisors you may have now who are familiar with the process.

But if you want to contact professors to ask them if they are taking students, or to discuss their research with them, that's different.  You can definitely do that.

If you are applying to research focused programs it wouldn't make sense to apply until you have talked to professors to gauge what they interests and focus are.  That said, a few others said it right, if you are research focused then you should contact professors to see about lab openings etc.   Also, in my experience it does help (and in some instances is required) to get ahold of a PI to see if they would take you as a member of their team.

If you are entering a professional program that is very different and probably not needed as you wouldn't be doing research or joining a professor in their lab.

I contacted a few professors before applying and they told me they weren't taking any new students and, aside from each other (they were at the same program) couldn't think of anyone else I might contact. I applied anyway and was waitlisted. Two other programs, ranked about the same, I didn't contact anyone until after I had already applied. I was waitlisted at one and accepted at the other. My current program, where I did talk to a number of people as I did my undergrad here, and the other one I was accepted outright were, by far, my best fit. In my field, I think that was far more important than whether or not I spoke to someone.

I agree with what you guys say, but now I'm starting to ask myself if applying to the same program that rejected me last year is a good idea.... My profile hasn't changed that much, so maybe it'll be just a waste of money.

I think is a greater problem than whether you contact PI's or not.  There may have been nothing wrong with your application last round and there simply just wasn't enough funding or it was difficult to choose between so many qualified applicants.  So while it is perfectly ok to apply a 2nd time they're going to wonder what you've been doing with this year off.  Surely you did something productive and relevant to your field that makes your application better this year.