Fall 2014 applicants for theater/performance Ph. D.?

PageAndStage

If you mean the NYU MA in Performance Studies, I would say it is not worth it unless you are independently wealthy. It's essentially a cash cow. That said, if you do decide to do it, you have the benefit of actually having your application being considered for the NYU Ph.D if you apply again (it's an open secret that NYU pretty much doesn't accept students into the Performance Studies Ph.D who are not internal candidates).

I didn't apply to NYU because I knew I wouldn't have a chance of getting in without the MA from there (well, this is one of the reasons). I'm currently completing my MA from CUNY Brooklyn College, which I really only decided to do because it's super cheap and I didn't get into any of the Ph.Ds to which I applied last time. I'm having a much better time this time around and I think it's because of the work I've done in an MA program. I feel much more prepared now.

Basically: I think it's a great idea to get an MA if Ph.D stuff doesn't pan out, but I would think long and hard before getting one from NYU.

I have been following these posts for the last few weeks.  I thought I would finally chime in.   I am happy to hear that things are going well for many of you.  It is all such a tenuous process.  All the work that goes into the applications and then all the waiting.  I finished my applications in November so the waiting has been horrible.  

I have applied to four different programs this year.  Mostly different from the ones most of you have listed.  I see that a couple of people have updates on Indiana-Bloomington's program on the results page.  Anyone here want to claim that?  Also has anyone here applied to Colorado or SUNY- Buffalo?  Good luck to those who have yet to have their interviews.  I just finished one this morning.  

Is there anyone here that this is their second year applying? I focused primarily on MFA programs last year.

In response to your previous post:

I have have an MA from another school in NYC.  If you are accepted to the NYU masters program, I feel that if you can afford it that it could open up many doors for you in future PhD applications. Just based purely on reputation alone.  Where have you applied this year?

Totally regretting now that I didn't apply to SUNY Buffallo--my advisor sent me their info at a point when I felt I was a little too far along in my current apps that I couldn't fit it in. It sounds like a great program, though, with faculty doing super interesting and progressive work.

Elanor,

Yes the SUNY Buffalo Program looks amazing. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.  I'm glad to see that you are getting such good responses from your applications.  I got my MA at Hunter.  What determined your choice of Brooklyn College over Hunter?  Do you have any idea how many recent grads from Brooklyn College have found PhD placements.

Elanor,

Yes the SUNY Buffalo Program looks amazing. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.  I'm glad to see that you are getting such good responses from your applications.  I got my MA at Hunter.  What determined your choice of Brooklyn College over Hunter?  Do you have any idea how many recent grads from Brooklyn College have found PhD placements.

I did not apply to Hunter; in retrospect, I forget why. I think I had met the head of the program at Brooklyn College and was impressed with her and the placement rates (100% of folks from the MA program have gotten into a Ph.D program SOMEWHERE, which to me at the time seemed super impressive). A friend of mine who graduated laster was accepted to a few programs and eventually chose UT-Austin and seems quite happy there.

What're the placement rates like at the Hunter program?

If you mean the NYU MA in Performance Studies, I would say it is not worth it unless you are independently wealthy. It's essentially a cash cow. That said, if you do decide to do it, you have the benefit of actually having your application being considered for the NYU Ph.D if you apply again (it's an open secret that NYU pretty much doesn't accept students into the Performance Studies Ph.D who are not internal candidates).

I knew this and after talking with some people at the school I decided to apply anyway. I've heard that some get partial funding for the NYU MA. This not true? I haven't really considered MAs at other schools. Is it the same timeline as the PhD  programs typically? Maybe I'll include some on my next go around if I don't get in to anything this year.

still waiting over here. looks like I don't have any apps in common with anyone on this thread, but in case anyone's curious, I just got an email from NYU last week stating that they're holding MA decisions a week or two and that the PHD app reviews are going as scheduled.

Curious: Other PhD applicants, do you have MAs? I have an MFA but am considering NYU's MA in Performing Arts if I get rejected from all my PhD opportunities. What do you think, worth it?

To answer your question about having MAs, I have one in Performance Research from University of Bristol and an MFA in Theatre Practice from University of Exeter (both in the UK).

I did not apply to Hunter; in retrospect, I forget why. I think I had met the head of the program at Brooklyn College and was impressed with her and the placement rates (100% of folks from the MA program have gotten into a Ph.D program SOMEWHERE, which to me at the time seemed super impressive). A friend of mine who graduated laster was accepted to a few programs and eventually chose UT-Austin and seems quite happy there.

What're the placement rates like at the Hunter program?

As far as I know the placement rate is near 100% but only 3, maybe four have applied that I know of in the past few years.

sorry to hear.

RE NYU MA in Performance Studies, aside from the exhorbitantly expensive pricetag, is there a good reason NOT to go?

I am in the program and I'd strongly recommend you to go if the financial situation is not extremely intimidating you. It's a wonderful program -- especially, the professors are great in nurturing the students' intellectual capacity. Also it will become a great stepping stone for a ph.d. I don't exactly know the placement rate but personally, I am satisfied with my results (still waiting for some schools tho). Talk to Noel if you want to know more in detail. But I can confidently say that the quality of the education at NYU is super. 

Edited by fishmans

Fishmans that is great to hear. Noel seems really courteous and forthright about the process so far. If I get accepted to the MA I will have to pick your brain. Are you applying for PhD there for fall 14 (or 15? haven't completely wrapped my mind around the super-speedy MA there).

Hey Y'all! I'm very late to this thread, but I applied to U Maryland for MA Performance Studies, UT Austin for MFA Performance as Public Practice, and Columbia PhD Theatre. Haven't heard back from any yet but I'll keep you all posted.

Zach

Those of you who have gotten rejections from Northwestern, how were you informed? Email, website? I still haven't heard anything from them at all.

I also applied to CUNY for the PhD, and I haven't heard anything from them either.

I thought about applying to CUNY, but decided not to. I was having a really hard time with their online application and had already asked my recommenders for additional letters once (and I was broke!) so I said forget it. I'll probably apply there next time though if I don't get in.  

Hi. I had an interview with CUNY a few hours back. I talked to the program head, Jean Graham-Jones, and she told me that she will be talking to all the finalists over this week and the decisions will be sent out in the next. Good luck to you all!

Edited by bhargav

I heard back from CUNY a few hours back. I got a mail from the department head that I have been offered admission and a graduate fellowship. Now I can breathe easy! But the official offer from the Admissions Office might be a while away. 

Any news from Stanford?