Distance Education Programs

Hey everyone!!! 

This is my second year around applying, and I am looking at ALL the options I may have for SLP. How many people have looked into Distance Education programs and what does everyone think about them? I have looked at ECU, JMU, and USC, but I am trying to gain a little more insight into the programs available. Any information would be helpful!!! 

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also interested in distance learning as well.  There is one college within driving distance that offers a masters program in this field, University of Vermont.  And although this is my first choice, it is very competitive, and my chances are pretty slim.  I would also like to consider on-line courses and doing my practicum here in VT.  I have looked into Nova in Florida, but I have a very difficult time deciphering the credibility of distance learning programs.  I am just starting this whole process and have yet to take the GRE's....I think that my score will greatly affect where I apply to. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a list anywhere of the MS/MA Distance Learning Programs, I saw a list for Post Bac, but not for the actual degree programs. I'm in Florida and I know FSU has a Distance Learning Program and you have to live in Florida to do it. I'm wondering if that is the case in every state (that you have to live in the state to do the Distance Learning Program there).

• 2 weeks later...

hi tmr 1523,

any luck yet getting info? hows the process going? i am looking into online programs as well since i am in the boston area and the programs out here are insanely competitive so trying to up my chances with online. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!!! 

This is my second year around applying, and I am looking at ALL the options I may have for SLP. How many people have looked into Distance Education programs and what does everyone think about them? I have looked at ECU, JMU, and USC, but I am trying to gain a little more insight into the programs available. Any information would be helpful!!! 

Thanks!

You might consider looking into Utah State, as well. I went to OKState for my undergrad and two classes I needed were offered at the same time, and my advisor recommended that I take a class at Utah State. The bonus with them is that they offer in-state tuition regardless of where you live. Check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot more distance learning programs than you probably think.  Idaho state, Cal state Northridge, Northern Arizona, Nova are all distance programs I can think of off the top of my head.  I have been emailing with an ASHA board member and he told me first thing that distance programs produced very un-experienced SLP's by what he's seen.  But its all what you make of it!

I am also worried about the credibility that would come from a distance learning program. I am old school and think you miss a lot not having the face to face interaction of a classroom and professors. Yes, I understand the world has progressed and it is the same credential. That being said, my husband moves every few years with his job, so I may not have a choice in entertaining distance learning programs. Wish someone that had done such a program could pipe in.

• 3 months later...

I have a question, are online programs just as competitive as regular grad programs?

From my understanding, online programs are just as competitive, if not more competitive, as on-campus programs. Last year I applied to one program (ISU online) was wait-listed and ultimately rejected. This year I am applying to 3 online programs and 2 on-campus programs at three different universities. Two of the programs I applied to expect to receive 200+ applicants for ~20 online spots and the last program receives 400+ applicants for 30-40 online spots.

From my understanding, online programs are just as competitive, if not more competitive, as on-campus programs. Last year I applied to one program (ISU online) was wait-listed and ultimately rejected. This year I am applying to 3 online programs and 2 on-campus programs at three different universities. Two of the programs I applied to expect to receive 200+ applicants for ~20 online spots and the last program receives 400+ applicants for 30-40 online spots.

Ahhh nutter butters... :( have you heard things about nova? And how much do you trust online programs, do you think employers will be prejudice on that kind of schooling?...I'm only asking bc I still have 2 schools left to hear from and I'm just planning for plan B

Ahhh nutter butters... :( have you heard things about nova? And how much do you trust online programs, do you think employers will be prejudice on that kind of schooling?...I'm only asking bc I still have 2 schools left to hear from and I'm just planning for plan B

I've heard about Nova, but I never looked into their program.

I think online programs are what you make of it. I've read that some believe graduates of online SLP programs are less experienced overall than an SLP coming from an on-campus program. However, there will be more time for additional volunteer work so there is no excuse to not get the same amount of experience imo. I think Nova might be the only program that is known widely as an online school by employers. If you attend an online branch through a university the degree will not state that you took classes online. It shouldn't be an issue with employers.