Social Psychology Fall 2014 Applicants

Haha lol...I get what you mean by people trying to be helpful but not getting it...My roommate is a public policy MA student. When he got home one day, he asked if I'd finished my SOPs. I reminded him that I was applying to 20 schools, hadn't started on any of them, and that he had only been gone five hours, which wasn't enough time to write up a working draft, finalize it, then craft it to each school and POI because the app would be tossed if my research interests weren't a match...to which he replied "That's easy. Go to the POI's webpage and copy and paste the research interests they have listed into your SOP. That's what I did."

"Copy and paste" is the same favorite strategy that my high school students try to get away with using (I teach high school students)...

Has anyone ever heard of social applicants being offered admission without a preliminary interview? I just noticed on the results page that someone got accepted to a developmental program (presumably without a formal interview), and I'm wondering if the same ever happens in social programs? 

Yes, it happens.  I was interviewed by phone for one program, in person for another, and had a "chat" with one other POI last year, but the rest of my acceptances were all done without an interview.  In at least one of those cases, there was some discussion between my POI and one of my recommenders about whether I was likely to accept, but nothing resembling an interview for me.

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot -- there was one other school where I declined the interview.

Edited by Angua

Anyone applying to Berkeley?

I already have an account on GC but I created this one with the intention of sharing my knowledge about the program without having my name linked to the information dispersed.

Anyway, I have thoughts I can share about the department/school/funding/city but mostly what I want to let you guys know is about POIs. There is information that I think candidates should be aware in order to make an informed decision about where to go. The department itself is good, but mentoring styles... differ, to put it lightly. If you get an interview MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM DIRECTLY ABOUT MENTORING STYLES. They may lie to you though, or even misrepresent themselves without realizing it. Honestly some are pretty oblivious.

If you PM me I can answer your questions. I really want to share what I know, but I won't exactly be in a position to be blunt during the interview days. By the way, if anyone doesn't know, those should be February 10/11 I think? Invites go out end of this week or early next.

Good luck all!

I already have an account on GC but I created this one with the intention of sharing my knowledge about the program without having my name linked to the information dispersed.

Anyway, I have thoughts I can share about the department/school/funding/city but mostly what I want to let you guys know is about POIs. There is information that I think candidates should be aware in order to make an informed decision about where to go. The department itself is good, but mentoring styles... differ, to put it lightly. If you get an interview MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM DIRECTLY ABOUT MENTORING STYLES. They may lie to you though, or even misrepresent themselves without realizing it. Honestly some are pretty oblivious.

If you PM me I can answer your questions. I really want to share what I know, but I won't exactly be in a position to be blunt during the interview days. By the way, if anyone doesn't know, those should be February 10/11 I think? Invites go out end of this week or early next.

Good luck all!

You're a good human, informant. 

Good luck all!

I wish I wasn't out of upvotes. :)

Informant's advice is good for all applicants- make sure that you talk with the professor AND - especially - his/her graduate students about mentoring style. Ask grad students how their relationship (pros/cons) is with the advisor!

Informant's advice is good for all applicants- make sure that you talk with the professor AND - especially - his/her graduate students about mentoring style. Ask grad students how their relationship (pros/cons) is with the advisor!

Definitely agree with this. Something I wish I'd gotten more information about for my current boss! And hopefully the grad students will be honest with you. I usually ask "what do you like best about (working here/this lab/etc)" but is it also acceptable to ask what do you like least?

Definitely agree with this. Something I wish I'd gotten more information about for my current boss! And hopefully the grad students will be honest with you. I usually ask "what do you like best about (working here/this lab/etc)" but is it also acceptable to ask what do you like least?

Yes!! Obviously, find the right time (i.e., in a private setting with the student!), but it is definitely okay and a good idea to ask these "negative" questions, too.  You don't want to focus on the negatives, but it's important to get a balanced perspective.

Along those lines, I also asked many of the professors I talked to, "What makes a student not a good fit for this program?"  And I got some really helpful answers.

Does anyone know if the University of Connecticut interviews for Social Psych Ph.D. --- looking through TGC seems like last year around the end of January people were just accepted.

Does anyone know if the University of Connecticut interviews for Social Psych Ph.D. --- looking through TGC seems like last year around the end of January people were just accepted.

Wondering the same about Boston College.  Anyone know?

I have the same impression, and did not see such information on their website... The end of January is almost here - we have to survive only two weeks o_O

I have the same impression, and did not see such information on their website... The end of January is almost here - we have to survive only two weeks o_O

It's too long, lol. In reality it's only been a little over a month since the deadline. Sometimes I think about that and laugh to myself :)

For those of you who applied to social at UCONN, would you mind telling me your POIs? Either through here or PM, whatever works! Thanks :)

PM'ed you the POI I applied to.

Anyone know what's going on with Stanford Social Psych? I see a few people on results got interviews just under the Psych general category, one under social psych. Looks like they went out on 14th/15th. Hoping they're not done inviting :(

Anyone heard from U Oregon social yet? Invites we're supposed to have gone out last week but I haven't seen any results from social yet in the results search...

Yea id like to know too if anyone heard from u oregon social.

I contacted my POI at Oregon and he said invitations had been sent out for the Social/Personality area.