Social Psychology Fall 2014 Applicants

Hey everyone! I just found this website... don't know how it hid from me for so long!

I applied to CUNY, Rochester, and U Connecticut. I've seen people getting responses between January 22nd and today. At what point do I officially get to freak out? :/

Hey everyone! I just found this website... don't know how it hid from me for so long!

I applied to CUNY, Rochester, and U Connecticut. I've seen people getting responses between January 22nd and today. At what point do I officially get to freak out? :/

I think I've seen things posted about Rochester, but only one for CUNY social psych and nothing for UCONN. Specifically, I think UCONN is still holding out for the time. So maybe don't freak out yet :) 

And although I've had several freak out moments, I'm not sure there is a "correct" time to freak out haha 

Good luck

I think I've seen things posted about Rochester, but only one for CUNY social psych and nothing for UCONN. Specifically, I think UCONN is still holding out for the time. So maybe don't freak out yet :)

And although I've had several freak out moments, I'm not sure there is a "correct" time to freak out haha 

Good luck

Aaah stop holding out and just let me know!

Thanks for responding. Good luck to you too!

Good luck

As far a U of Rochester, their interview weekend this year is definitely the weekend after SPSP (which is Feb 13-15).  They do clinical, social, and developmental at the same time (it's a small program).  If you haven't been invited by now, chances are extremely slim (rarely, if they don't like anyone they interview, they may do a 2nd round of phone interviews.  But usually they just won't take anyone if that's the case). 

As far a U of Rochester, their interview weekend this year is definitely the weekend after SPSP (which is Feb 13-15).  They do clinical, social, and developmental at the same time (it's a small program).  If you haven't been invited by now, chances are extremely slim (rarely, if they don't like anyone they interview, they may do a 2nd round of phone interviews.  But usually they just won't take anyone if that's the case). 

Darn, thanks for the heads up.

When I went to SPSP last year I began to wonder how many undergraduates actually go. My perception of age is probably really off, but all the students I saw typically looked like grad students :P

I was sort of wondering, is anyone going to this years SPSP in Austin?

I'll be there! I'll get to meet many of the researchers I applied to work with and am even doing a PhD interview there...exciting!

I'm doing some of the grad student events as well (currently a Master's student)...anyone else?

Edited by cmtweten

Just as an aside, I talked a lot with UIUC profs last year, and they try really hard to let people know as soon as they are rejected. Now, UIUC is also often slower to get through applications (they frankly aren't the most organized profs in the world, and they start pretty late for Spring semester, which slows them down more), but once they start, they don't (historically) hold all rejects for the end like some other schools. Instead, they do a Yes-No-Maybe system, where the definite Yes's are admitted (very few of those), the Maybe's are contacted in general preference order (some will be admitted), and the No's are rejected immediately. The Maybe's will be held on to until they become Yes's or No's.

What does this mean? It means that (historically!) once UIUC starts rejecting people, no news is good news! :)

Thanks for the info!

I haven't heard anything from Stony Brook.  As far as I can tell, neither has anyone else.  It's hard to say if that's because everyone on this site is going to be rejected without interview (unlikely, but who knows?) or if they are deliberately waiting until after SPSP this week and will start notifying people next week.

I'll be there! I'll get to meet many of the researchers I applied to work with and am even doing a PhD interview there...exciting!

I'm doing some of the grad student events as well (currently a Master's student)...anyone else?

It is exciting! I'll be doing some networking while there with some prospective graduate programs. Hopefully talking to some of the grad students will give me a better perspective of which program I will fit in better. I won't be doing any of the grad events this time around (I'm an undergrad), but they seem interesting. 

And good luck on your PhD interview! I hope it goes well.

SPSP is a good time. I'll be headed there (if the weather permits...one of my flights has already been cancelled and i'm booked on a later flight...).  And there's usually some good partying going on too in the evenings, especially Saturday night.

Oh, and yes, there's lots of good info to be had and people to meet professionally.

Which CUNY program did you apply to? The BASP or Critical Social? I was just at the BASP interview weekend last week.... they only had about 9 prospectives there. If you applied to that program, chances are you've been waitlisted/rejected.

Has anyone heard from University of Chicago and Loyola(Chicago)?

UChicago Psych just finished interview weekend.  I have no idea what that means if you haven't heard, but it likely means (at least) that you aren't being interviewed.

UChicago Psych just finished interview weekend.  I have no idea what that means if you haven't heard, but it likely means (at least) that you aren't being interviewed.

Angua,

Thanks for the heads up, I figured. I just wish these schools would let you know as soon as they make decisions so that you would not have to be in limbo. It was a long shot anyways!

Which CUNY program did you apply to? The BASP or Critical Social? I was just at the BASP interview weekend last week.... they only had about 9 prospectives there. If you applied to that program, chances are you've been waitlisted/rejected.

I applied to Critical Social. Still haven't heard anything from them.

I have 5 schools that I haven't heard from. Based on the forum, I expect rejections from 2 of them. But, I haven't seen any info on 

- University of Kentucky

- University of Toronto

- Eastern Tennessee State University

Has anyone heard anything from these schools?

Has anyone heard anything about Stony Brook Social-Health? There's loose talk they are going to notify people starting next week, but some people have already gotten responses. Anybody know what's going on there?

They are expecting to start sending out official decisions by the beginning of March. I emailed them for a status update and was told I wouldn't be offered admission because my POI didn't receive funding for new students.

Edited by AMCB

I have 5 schools that I haven't heard from. Based on the forum, I expect rejections from 2 of them. But, I haven't seen any info on 

- University of Kentucky

- University of Toronto

- Eastern Tennessee State University

Has anyone heard anything from these schools?

I met with a professor from University of Toronto at SPSP, and he said that interview weekend for their Social/Personality/Abnormal program is the last weekend of February (this weekend). I don't know if that helps, but it's at least some information. 

To the person who posted a rejection at Miami - Ohio. Was that email from your POI or the dept? Personalized? I haven't head anything, and their site doesn't even tell you the status of your application. Any information is appreciated.